• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The types of the Bowls manufactured and their differences.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Yes, the topic explain enough.

I can not understand why some bowlers have a history of doing excellent with White while performing bad with the red cherry?
+ What effect/difference is between the Red and the white ball.
+ Kookabura and the usual bowl? What is the difference.

Would be quite helpful to understand the logic behind bowlers performing differently with different bowls. I remember once Akhtar mentioned it is easier to swing the red ball and I was like "Why!?"

smash84

The Tiger King
maybe Goughy or TC can explain this one better.

even Benchy can take a go at this one (quite surprised about his cricketing knowledge tbh)

Andre

International Regular
In brief:

• The white ball swings a bit more and is more difficult to control than the red due to the amount of laquer they put on it to get it to the white colour (not a natural colour of leather).

• Kookaburra balls maintain their shape better than a lot of other cricket balls but go softer and lost their shine quicker than balls such as the Dukes ball they use in England. The Dukes ball swings longer and stays almost rock-hard throughout the majority of the innings if not all. The Kookaburras become soft and easier for batting against.

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Some bowls for you.

:laugh::laugh:

on topic, yes the duke ball swings more and swings longer than other types of balls, but i've seen people say that the 2011 duke ball isn't swinging as much as previous versions. don't know the truth about it though.

and about the SG ball they use in india, i've heard the likes of murali and a few others say that the seam is not that hard and it's hard to grip it and spin it...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the cliff notes is that Dukes are better for seam-up (more pronounced seam, retain shine for longer) and Kookaburras better for spin.

smash84

The Tiger King
from what i heard the kookaburras retain their hardness for much longer not sure about the good for spin part though

Jacknife

International Captain
The Tiflex ball they are currently using in Div 2 of the county championship, is according to all the batsmen that has faced it, far more swing and seam friendly than the Duke. The colour of it is really dark, almost dark brown as well, especially when compared to the duke and has a even more pronounced seam than it as well.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
These are two balls that I have been using in the nets for the past two weeks.

The one on my right side is an SG ball from India. I have a lot of experience bowling with those. In my observation, the seam dies down pretty quickly. The ball becomes soft faster and if you keep one side distinctly shiny, it goes Irish considerably. I have tried to maintain this baby reasonably well and it really swings prodigiously both ways, but doesn't bounce that much. It's still a bit soaked from today's practice, but it's a good missile! :laugh:

I got the one on the left from a club in Europe, while it was still new-ish. I think it's a Duke manufactured ball. With pretty much the same amount of bowling (on an artificial carpet net facility), the seam is still quite proud. The threads are intact and there is a distinct undulation that you can feel with your finger.

In my experience, the 'prouder seam' ball jags around off the deck, bounces more and isn't conducive to reverse swing (despite being kept dry). So basically, you try to hit the seam hard and try to get it to nip around and bounce. Not much incentive to shine the two hemispheres differentially, IMHO!

Attachments

Last edited: