Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank the English batsmen

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar

Rank the English batsmen

Rank your Top 5 English batsmen based on their recent form and their batting ability.

1. Bell
    2. Trott
    3. Pietersen
    4. Cook
    5. Prior

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Tough one. Comparing apples with oranges for the most part. I'd say Bell is #1 because he's the most versatile batsman in our ranks; he can play the jaunty ran-a-ball 50 or an innings of substance over style. One couldn't imagine Cook flaying an attack to all corners nor Pietersen taking 500+ balls to score 200, but someone both seem in the realm of the possible for Bell.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

AWTBrumby.

Bell has been a man doing the necessary job to a frankly amazing degree of reliability lately. He did so in his county cricket in April too:

Against Nottinghamshire, in a fairly low-scoring game, he made 139 and then 33 off 16 balls. He was captain too.
    For all the amazing stuff Cook and Trott have managed over the last two years, Bell has been matching the figures while playing through vastly more situations - and with a hell of a lot more shots. (with the notable exception of facing more of the new ball.)

With respect to batting ability and potential, I still think KP is something really very special. He'll be the man we're far more likely to be talking about in 20 years.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 19-08-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Still think KP's England's best player, I'd rate them in this order-
    KP
    Bell
    Trott
    Cook
    Prior
    Strauss

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Bell
    KP/Trott/Cook
    Strauss

Morgan

AN Other

Until we see Taylor/Stokes in an England shirt we can't judge them.

Bopara

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    KP is the best English batsman. A real attacking batsman. I can't see Bell flay an attack to all corners of the park like KP does. KP became my favorite English batsman when he smacked Shane Warne out of the park a fair few times in Ashes 05. Still think that Bell can't play the kind of attacking innings that KP can.

KP
    Bell
    Cook/Prior
    Strauss
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Trott's the best, for mine. This summer's been a bit of a piefest, last summer was when the batsmen were actually tested and only Trott came up with the goods.

I'd go:

Trott
    Bell
    Cook
    KP
    Prior
    Strauss
    Morgan
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    For all the amazing stuff Cook and Trott have managed over the last two years, Bell has been matching the figures while playing through vastly more situations - and with a hell of a lot more shots. (with the notable exception of facing more of the new ball.)
    Mmm, he missed the Pakistan series, so that's not really true. Flatters his figures somewhat too in comparison to the others. But it's certainly better to have never been tested against bowling that good than to have failed the test ala Cook, whose scoring over the past couple of years has been an almost-perfect indicator of the quality of the bowling.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 19-08-2011 at 06:05 PM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Mmm, he missed the Pakistan series, so that's not really true. Flatters his figures somewhat too in comparison to the others. But it's certainly better to have never been tested against bowling that good than to have failed the test ala Cook, whose scoring over the past couple of years has been an almost-perfect indicator of the quality of the bowling.
    He was in such good form he'd have dominated. No doubt about that, he is up there at present with the best around. Top class.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    haha......perfectly sums up my feelings too regarding Cook. Well said. Only thing I would say in defence of KP is that he had been woefully short of form in the last 2 years but is probably back to his best now.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    He was in such good form he'd have dominated. No doubt about that, he is up there at present with the best around. Top class.
    Lol @ claiming that a batsman would undoubtedly have dominated Aamer and Asif because they were in awesome form against Rubel Hossain the series before. Might as well assume your car's going to pass its MOT when it doesn't fall apart after you kick it.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 19-08-2011 at 06:47 PM.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    for 2-3 years rahul dravid had been dominating the weaker teams while failing against the top ones so doing well against nz, wi, sl, bang etc didn't prove anything.

until you score against the best your performances can't be taken too seriously.

however bell and cook both were indeed superb against aus, who had a pretty good attack that underperformed.

harris
    bollinger
    johnson
    siddle

all these guys bowl 140+ and can be great on their day.
    i think the aussies bowled a bit too short to cook, barely tested his almost non-existent front foot play...
    ponting's captaincy was poor. he changed the field after every 2nd boundary. literally showed no patience. bascially they had no clear game plans and their execution was appalling (by their standards). however, they still bowled far better than india/sl have this english summer.
    Last edited by centurymaker; 19-08-2011 at 07:29 PM.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Re Cook, whilst he is batting brilliantly and undoubtably on top of his own game even watching as an outsider you never get the feeling he is on top of the bowling. Might be just me but for a top batsmen I want some degree of domination, if not from the strike rate then the general batsmanship, not still playing and missing when on 185, powerful defense etc.

So,

KP

daylight

Bell
    Trott
    Cook
    Strauss
    Prior
    Bres
    Morgan
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

awta

Bell = KP
    Cook
    Strauss
    Trott
    Prior
    Morgan

Strauss in the poorest recent form, but a fine batsman and one whom I'd rate above Prior and probably, on the strength of 19 Test centuries over several years, above Trott, who let's face it has only played a handful of series.

Very hard to pick between Bell, Cook and KP. You could make a respectable case for any of them. Bell and Cook have ridiculous recent records. Cook has to face the new ball, sometimes more than once in an innings. Bell looks to have genuinely developed from a man who might cash in when the going was easy to someone who is just as able to score runs when they are at a premium. And KP is an astonishing, innovative, unorthodox flayer of attacks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information