• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the English batsmen

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol @ claiming that a batsman would undoubtedly have dominated Aamer and Asif because they were in awesome form against Rubel Hossain the series before. Might as well assume your car's going to pass its MOT when it doesn't fall apart after you kick it.
So claiming a bloke averaging 90ish in the last 2 and a half years would dominate is lolworthy is it?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What did Cook average in the past two years in every other series he played? How did he do against that attack?

Bowling that good is an entirely different proposition. It's like making the step up from FC to test- you just can't tell how someone's going to go until they start playing at the highest level.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Trott=Bell=KP=Cook
Strauss
Morgan
Bresnan
Broad=Bopara=Swann

The lineup might rival the current Indian lineup in terms of statistics at the time of their retirement.

smash84

The Tiger King
True, but Pietersen has succeeded against top quality bowling before now. He was woefully out of form last summer and it would have been interesting to see the Pietersen of this summer or 05-08 face them - not saying he'd have dominated, but I'm certain he'd have not looked like a plank.
awta. In fact I am pretty sure that he would have not dominated but had he been in the form og 05-08 he would have taken the attack to Amir and Asif, just like he took the attack to McWarne. Would definitely not have looked totally clueless as he did last summer

Trott=Bell=KP=Cook
Strauss
Morgan
Bresnan
Broad=Bopara=Swann

The lineup might rival the current Indian lineup in terms of statistics at the time of their retirement.
in terms of stats if they do rival the indian batsmen then they would have had such averages not batting on roads. A tougher ask I think. Before I get flayed I might ad Which is not to say that the Indian line-up is not impressive.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
awta. In fact I am pretty sure that he would have not dominated but had he been in the form og 05-08 he would have taken the attack to Amir and Asif, just like he took the attack to McWarne. Would definitely not have looked totally clueless as he did last summer

in terms of stats if they do rival the indian batsmen then they would have had such averages not batting on roads. A tougher ask I think. Before I get flayed I might ad Which is not to say that the Indian line-up is not impressive.
facing a pop gun indian attack at oval (flat pitch) is also tougher, isn't it ? a pop gun srilankan attack at lords?
and what makes you think pitches were usually roads in india? did kumble just magically take 600 wickets? he avg'd 24-25 in india ffs without barely being a turner of the ball

and btw when india play overseas they play on more grassy pitches than any other team because opposition teams know that india don't have bowlers to exploit the conditions. look when india go to sa/aus they try to make their tracks spicer because they know that indian batsmen would struggle against bounce...

So things usually balance out in the end.

kp, bell and co have boosted their avgs by 3-5 points each, while india batsmen have lost a point or two each. This is largely down to the difference in bowling attacks faced by the two teams.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
facing a pop gun indian attack at oval (flat pitch) is also tougher, isn't it ? a pop gun srilankan attack at lords?
and what makes you think pitches were usually roads in india? did kumble just magically take 600 wickets? he avg'd 24-25 in india ffs without barely being a turner of the ball

and btw when india play overseas they play on more grassy pitches than any other team because opposition teams know that india don't have bowlers to exploit the conditions. look when india go to sa/aus they try to make their tracks spicer because they know that indian batsmen would struggle against bounce...

So things usually balance out in the end.

kp, bell and co have boosted their avgs by 3-5 points each, while india batsmen have lost a point or two each. This is largely down to the difference in bowling attacks faced by the two teams.
Cooks got the same average as he did in the last series against SL and KP has moved up about a 2 points but has always been around the 50 mark or just under and bell's improved by 2 points but he's improved every series he's played in , for the last couple of years.

L Trumper

State Regular
KP and Trott are probably the best england batsmen since 60s, I'd think. Having said that trott needs to play couple more years at this statndard.

Cook and Bell are in awesome nick, but they won't walk in into great lineups of aussies or indians. Not at anyway. So in the end, as of now
KP = Trott*
Day light
Cook
Bell
Strauss
*needs 2 more years at this level

tooextracool

International Coach
Trott's the best, for mine. This summer's been a bit of a piefest, last summer was when the batsmen were actually tested and only Trott came up with the goods.

I'd go:

Trott
Bell
Cook
KP
Prior
Strauss
Morgan
Going by performances against Pakistan from last summer, seems a bit strange that you have Prior that low.

Jacknife

International Captain
I can see why people use the Pakistan series as a bit of a measuring stick but at the time some players were in form, others were not. By the same token that someone rates Trott highly because of that series, he didn't do right well when he came up against Steyn and Morkel.
It's unfair to pin point a particular series and say just because so and so player performed makes him the best imo.
I think when rating players you have to look at them over their whole careers, as well as the opposition who they've performed against.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
I think its a bit hard to separate Bell, Cook and Trott. Trott seems to have arrived to the international scene in prime form and we are yet to see how he will deal with a trough or once bowlers start to learn how to bowl to him. I rate Trott highly, but there is a sense that he is a very limited player and if bowlers bowl well to him as SA did and as Pakistan did to him until the final test of that series he can be restricted.

Cook on the other hand has easily the best temperament I've seen from any England batsman in a long time. He is susceptible to the moving ball and there are still a few kinks in his technique, but the fact that he cashes in whenever he gets in is a virtue that cannot be taken for granted. English batsmen for a very long time have failed to score big 100s and heres someone who never lets an opportunity go wasted.

Ian Bell for me is easily the most talented player in England. I know there are comparisons with Vaughan, but he is up there with Laxman and Mark Waugh as the best timer of the cricket ball I've seen. Seems unreal the way he strokes the ball for what looks like a single but ends up on the other side of the boundary line.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I can see why people use the Pakistan series as a bit of a measuring stick but at the time some players were in form, others were not. By the same token that someone rates Trott highly because of that series, he didn't do right well when he came up against Steyn and Morkel.
Good point.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trott wasn't the only one to struggle against Steyn and Morkel but he was pretty much the only one to pass the Asif and Amir test.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of who I think will achieve the most till the end of their careers:
1. Bell/Pietersen
2. Pietersen/Bell
3. Trott
4. Cook
5. Strauss

In terms of what they have achieved so far:
1. Pietersen
2. Trott
3. Cook
4. Strauss
5. Bell

In terms of their current form:
1. Bell
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. Pietersen
5. Strauss

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I think its a bit hard to separate Bell, Cook and Trott. Trott seems to have arrived to the international scene in prime form and we are yet to see how he will deal with a trough or once bowlers start to learn how to bowl to him. I rate Trott highly, but there is a sense that he is a very limited player and if bowlers bowl well to him as SA did and as Pakistan did to him until the final test of that series he can be restricted.

Cook on the other hand has easily the best temperament I've seen from any England batsman in a long time. He is susceptible to the moving ball and there are still a few kinks in his technique, but the fact that he cashes in whenever he gets in is a virtue that cannot be taken for granted. English batsmen for a very long time have failed to score big 100s and heres someone who never lets an opportunity go wasted.

Ian Bell for me is easily the most talented player in England. I know there are comparisons with Vaughan, but he is up there with Laxman and Mark Waugh as the best timer of the cricket ball I've seen. Seems unreal the way he strokes the ball for what looks like a single but ends up on the other side of the boundary line.
interesting post but what about KP? Where would you put him?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Just saw a stat today on a bbc article that I couldn't believe at first.

In the past 15 months, England's batsmen have scored six double-centuries in Test cricket, the same number they managed in the previous 15 years.
:-O:-O:-O

Not only shows how good this current batting line up is but probably equally shows how rubbish the 90's and early 2000's were for English batting.

World bowling attacks have certainly declined too. Only England, South Africa and to a lesser extent Pakistan can lay claim to having anything like a world class bowling line-up.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In terms of who I think will achieve the most till the end of their careers:
1. Bell/Pietersen
2. Pietersen/Bell
3. Trott
4. Cook
5. Strauss

In terms of what they have achieved so far:
1. Pietersen
2. Trott
3. Cook
4. Strauss
5. Bell

In terms of their current form:
1. Bell
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. Pietersen
5. Strauss
Seriously? he's much younger then the rest of them, even if his form tails off, he'll still score more runs and get more centuries then every other English player. Average is only one thing, and he's not doing too bad with that now

My order.
Bell
Cook
Kp
Trott
Prior
Strauss
sundries.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Just saw a stat today on a bbc article that I couldn't believe at first.

:-O:-O:-O

Not only shows how good this current batting line up is but probably equally shows how rubbish the 90's and early 2000's were for English batting.

World bowling attacks have certainly declined too. Only England, South Africa and to a lesser extent Pakistan can lay claim to having anything like a world class bowling line-up.
Australia definitely ahead of Pakistan. aus have an endless supply of genuine quick bowlers who on their day can run through any side. one bad series (excluding the perth test) where captaincy was piss poor doesn't make their bowling crap.

England 9/10 (with tremlett)
Southfrica 8.5/10
Australia 7/10
pakistan 6/10

Jacknife

International Captain
Trott wasn't the only one to struggle against Steyn and Morkel but he was pretty much the only one to pass the Asif and Amir test.
I just don't like the idea of picking out a series and saying just because X player did well means he's the best player. Last year even against Bang, there was only really Trott and Bell in form, the other top order batsmen were having their individual problems.

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Talent wise:

1. Ian Bell
  2. Kevin Pietersen
  3. Alastair Cook
  4. Eoin Morgan
  5. Jonathan Trott
  6. Matty Prior
  7. Andrew Strauss

Overall:

1. Alastair Cook