• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Something to make Australians happy-Hilditch and Chappell got the chuck

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
really, sport stars should need to be retired for 5 years before releasing e a book

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
My new appointments

Coach:
Steve Rixon (firm with players, with an emphasis on cricket skills, proven track record)

Chief(the role that Hugh Morris fills for the Poms)
Rod Marsh (good people skills, will demand accountability, and has performed similar roles in the past)

Selection Panel:
Hohns (Chairman)
Fleming
Border
Clarke
Rixon
Fleming as a selector seems a pretty good call, I'd personally like him to fill a coaching role of some description as well.

Does anyone think Mickey Arthur would be a chance to come in as head coach?

Spark

Global Moderator
Fleming as a selector seems a pretty good call, I'd personally like him to fill a coaching role of some description as well.

He's being talked up for sure.

Top_Cat

Nothing new about players putting out books early in their careers anyway. AB put out his first autobio in '87 before Australia started winning anything and I'm sure there are earlier examples.

howardj

International Coach

I'm cold on Arthur.

The way he raped WA cricket (killed Noffke's career and many others) for no result, was really offputting. It was like he was trying to assert himself for the sake of it. Moreover, a foreign coach should only be drafted when they are so clearly the outstanding candidate and when a team is in wilderness. With Rixon in the ranks, we haven't reached the point where we need to activate the foreign coach option. I'm not against a foreign coach, but they should only be drafted when they are clearly the best option and when the team is in the wilderness. While (given our poor recent performance) the latter condition may be satisfied, with Rixon in the ranks the former is not.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
don't know him, but not against a footy person filling that role, their backroom staff systems would be a good influence on the cricket setup.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
So this is the role that people (and most pointedly, Chuck Berry) were talking about headhunting Ric Charlesworth for, yeah?

Seeing the outline of the role, I think it's definitely necessary, get Michael Brown away from issues surrounding the Australian team and concentrating on strategic and operational issues for Cricket Australia. The less the overlap between CA and the Australian Cricket Team from an operational point of view, the better.

howardj

International Coach
Have a cricket person in there?

Good God no.

Just a certain "skillset" 8-)

Probably won them over with a good powerpoint presentation, like Dean Bailey.

Seriously, how did the Rugby team go while he was their high performance manager?

Point is, unless it's somebody absolutely exceptional/irresistible, then best go with a cricket person.

Spikey

I'm outraged they didn't pick a high profile former Australian test cricket player - it's been working so well!

Spikey

as far as i can tell the GM doesn't have to put the pads on so i dunno know I'm content with just trying to pick the best (wo)man

howardj

International Coach
I'm outraged they didn't pick a high profile former Australian test cricket player - it's been working so well!
neilsen, sutherland, mick brown and hilditch weren't exactly high profile former Aussie test cricketers

i stand to be corrected

howardj

International Coach
My point is that it's this corporate sort of garbage that's got Australia so much into this mess.

I just don't think Pat Howard (with no cricket background) is going to address that, despite how many selection criteria he ticks off.

yeah, so before he's had one day in the job lol

Spikey

This guy's role is to ensure 'the Australian coach, captain, chairman of selectors, team manager and Centre of Excellence manager.' don't **** all over their themselves yeah? He's ensuring the right people get hired, and they do their job correctly? I mean it's hardly a role only a former test cricketer can do is it?

howardj

International Coach
So, a feel for cricket which will give you an understanding of whether they are actually all doing their job is a drawback?