• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Ireland v England at Dublin

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Very true. The biggest exception was probably Mark Lawrenson, although he may have been picked for Ireland before he would have come under the radar for England. Could have coped with him instead of Terry Fenwick in 1986 though.

I read somewhere that Keegan contacted the FAI at some point - presumably before he rose to prominence with Liverpool. I gather the FAI didn't pursue the matter though.
I don't know much about that era of Irish football but that would have been funny to see Keegan playing for Ireland,

generally the better players were born here, like that Roy Keane t**t :laugh: :@...

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would've taken the (London-born) David O'Leary too, tbh.

Aldridge might've had a case as well, modest international record notwithstanding.
At one point Aldo was the 2nd highest all-time scorer for Ireland. Played him as the lone striker a lot and he never got anything like the service he got from Beardsley/B****s or Morrisey/Nevin (:cool:), was playing a different role.

In summary, he'd have banged them in for England because scoring goals is what he did

BoyBrumby

Englishman
At one point Aldo was the 2nd highest all-time scorer for Ireland. Played him as the lone striker a lot and he never got anything like the service he got from Beardsley/B****s or Morrisey/Nevin (:cool:), was playing a different role.

In summary, he'd have banged them in for England because scoring goals is what he did
Yeah, but he scored something like 19 in 80 for Eire, but for everyone else it was about a goal every game and a half.

Think, IIRC, he took 20-odd games to break his international duck too.

But, as you say, great goalscorer. Average human being, but great goalscorer.