• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tri Series (Ind, NZ, Aus) Thread

Eclipse

International Debutant
New Zealand are getting killed.

Bracken and Williams bowler really well particuarly impressed with Bracken because he now has a new found ability to swing the ball into the right handers and swing it quite a bit looking at this match.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hahahaha

New Zealand 97 (33.4 ov)
Australia 51/1 (6.1 ov)

Australia require another 47 runs with 9 wickets and 43.5 overs remaining

its looks like its gonna be tight :lol: :lol: :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
There was some dumb batting, Vincent skied top edge pull shoot to mid off.

How good was Martyn's catch to get rid of McCullum? He did everything right - hit it down and yet he still got out.

Eclipse

International Debutant
lol australia let through a record 32 extra's man that saved New Zealands ass form an even more embarasing score.

Bichel did not bowl very well though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming may aswell have gift-wrapped the toss to Ponting.

NZ were shocked by the amount of seam movement & never recovered, When they should have been out there themselves utilising the conditions that bowlers like Tuffey & Oram thrive in.

An extremely poor error of judgement & I wonder what made Fleming change his mind considering yesterday he said he would bowl first if he won the toss.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure the Aussie bowlers bowled well, WHEN they got it right which was about 50% of the time.

If there had been no seam movement then its likely it could have been a bigger score, but its not to be & NZ have given Australia 6 points.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah actually Bracken bowled very well but Williams & Bichel conceeded more runs from extras than off the bat.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
damn nz!! arrghh

hate seeing us crumble..i was expecting a good long battle..!!
now i have no excuse to get a break of studying ... crickets over so fast..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
In the end, NZ read the pitch wrong...badly.

I guess because Australia were also going to bat, nobody expected it to seam around like it did & I think NZ got totally shocked by it and by the time they were 12/3 they just lost the plot.

By the time Australia batted, the pitch was half-baked & only occassionally were the New Zealanders able to get some movement.

NZ can only blame themselves for the loss and I guess they just have to hope that when they next meet Australia they'll make the right decision if they win the toss.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Well done to the Aussis, great comeback guys after the first game, now lets follow this up and beat the Indians!:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looking at the scoreboard, it almost looks as though Twenty20 cricket has just made its international debut.

Well played E.X. Tras - an excellent knock. Should keep his place next time after comfortably top-scoring.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Australia and spin

jamesryfler said:
Barring Hayden and Ponting (to some extent), the rest of the batsmen aren't great players of spin particularly finger spin.

The Pura Cup doesn't feature a single decent finger spinner -- I **personally** think Hauritz has quite a while to go before he can play internationally.

Most of the spinners Australia produce and have produced are wristies -- either left armers or the orthodox type e.g Warne, Hogg, Casson, Bright, White, MacGill etc.

So its not really a surprise that historically, the Aussies have struggled against quality finger spinners on pitches offering some help to them.

Richard, i think made a comment that finger spinners weren't of
much use outside of the subcontinent and possibly the Caribbean.
I don't really agree with this -- it really depends on whether the finger spinner chooses to deceive batsmen thru the air rather than off the pitch. If the former, I see no reason why a finger spinner can't be successful on various types of wickets e.g Erapalli Prasanna did quite well on New Zealand's seaming wickets in 1967-68 and 1975-76. BS Bedi was quite outstanding
on the Australian tour of 1977-78 and not just at Sydney.
Murali I belive took quite a few wickets on Sri Lanka's 2001 RSA tour, another place not renowned for turning wickets.
I haven't seen Murali for a while but BS Bedi was certainly a spinner who beat a lot of batsemn with his flight.
The reason Australia don't produce many quality fingerspinners is because no decks in Australia help fingerspin, except The SCG.
I don't really see anything wrong with that; one of the beauties of the subcontinent (and nowadays The Caribbean) is it's help for fingerspin which is not really seen on many other Test-grounds anywhere in The World. Similar to England, South Africa and New Zealand with the seamers (though the seam-movement has been sadly lacking in the last 2 seasons in the first two countries).
I don't really think it's possible to beat batsmen in the air at 50-53mph, the only way to beat them is off the pitch at that pace. Bish and Prasanna might have had the odd good tour to somewhere unhelpful, but that was more likely down (like Harbhajan's to New Zealand recently) to poor batting rather than good bowling.
Murali, meanwhile, I can't see why you're bringing him into the debate. I'm talking about fingerspinners, not wristies!

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Australia were simply too good for NZ :)
Bracken & Williams were simply too good for the Kiwis. They both utilised the seam well to great effect.

Gilchrist as always was going flat out in his batting, great to watch. Hayden also batted well to get a half century.

quote:

Originally posted by luckyeddie
Looking at the scoreboard, it almost looks as though Twenty20 cricket has just made its international debut.

Imagine though if Twenty20 cricket did make an international debut as the third form of Cricket along with Tests & ODI's. Wouldn't be great to watch, seeing the likes of Gilchrist batting with even more agression :D Imagine the feelings of the bowler having to bowl to Gilchrist in Twenty20 cricket!

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by vicpride29
As an Australian i think it is time for at least 2 of the aussies to step up.
Jimmy Maher- was dropped for the West Indies and has been given a second go with leahman out. Really needs a 100 or something.

Ian Harvey- One of my favourites but needs to bowl really well with the injurys.

Thoughts on these two.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maher is also in the side because he can be the backup keeper for Gilchrist.

Ian Harvey has produced some great performances for Australia. But he needs to do that more consistently for Australia. Shane Watson seems to be out of the selectors minds for the time being, so this is a great chance for Harvey. If Harvey has a great series & Andrew Symonds has a shocker. Harvey will end up having opportunities to play more ODI's for Australia (more regular appearences for Australia).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Re: Re: Australia and spin

Richard said:
The reason Australia don't produce many quality fingerspinners is because no decks in Australia help fingerspin, except The SCG.

and the only spinners to play at the SCG regularly atm are Macgill and Katich.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Imagine though if Twenty20 cricket did make an international debut as the third form of Cricket along with Tests & ODI's. Wouldn't be great to watch, seeing the likes of Gilchrist batting with even more agression :D Imagine the feelings of the bowler having to bowl to Gilchrist in Twenty20 cricket!
CricketMAX in New Zealand...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Re: Re: Australia and spin

Richard said:
I don't really think it's possible to beat batsmen in the air at 50-53mph, the only way to beat them is off the pitch at that pace. Bish and Prasanna might have had the odd good tour to somewhere unhelpful, but that was more likely down (like Harbhajan's to New Zealand recently) to poor batting rather than good bowling.
What are you basing this assumption on? Just some kind of instinctive certainty in your mind(like "I say so, hence it must be true...") or is there some logic to this?

Flighting the ball to beat the batsman in the air has always been an effective weapon in the hands of a good spinner AFAIK....

krkode

State Captain
Hallo, gentlemen! Remember me? :P

Anyway, I'd just like to say how happy I am that India beat Australia in that game. Certainly a goodly job, especially after Gilchrist went beserk:rolleyes:

masterblaster

International Captain
unfortunately any pace bowler any team picks is going to go for plenty of runs this tournament. The key lies with the bowlers who can change their pace.

I was shocked at what happened at Faridabad, sure there was a little movement at first, but its one of the first times im seeing a match in India where a team has failed to put up atleast a 100 runs.