• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tri Series (Ind, NZ, Aus) Thread

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Re: wat was that about india?

maximoose said:
i'm new, but i have been reading these threads for a wile. Sorry lads (and ladettes) but india r great. We just beat austalia. And u lot were saying india r poor!!!

1 more thing - wat is that crap about tendulkar not perorming wen needed. i think a 100 wen the opening partner is out 3rd ball is performing wen needed alright!

Dont think this is a diss to u all - love the site - so don't take it personally
1/ They're not great. Nor are they poor. They are good.

2/ The point is that he doesn't seem to pull it out when the chips are down to see them right through to the end (probably unfair as he has so little support in these situations, a certain game against Pakistan comes to mind).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
That draw with India may prove to be valuable for NZ further into the series.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the NZ/Aus game is going to be 300+...neither bowling side is that teriffic & neither side has the amount of spinners that India have.

I reckon NZ are better off trying to chase a total rather than setting one against Australia.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last night SHOULD be Ian Harvey's last ever ODI. I can't remember the last time he made a descent contribution.

Clarke in for Harvey.

Kaspa in for Williams.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
Last night SHOULD be Ian Harvey's last ever ODI. I can't remember the last time he made a descent contribution.

Clarke in for Harvey.

Kaspa in for Williams.
Agreed.

God I am sick of our batsman's inability to bat on slugish low bouncing wickets.

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
Re: Re: wat was that about india?

Neil Pickup said:
1/ They're not great. Nor are they poor. They are good.

2/ The point is that he doesn't seem to pull it out when the chips are down to see them right through to the end (probably unfair as he has so little support in these situations, a certain game against Pakistan comes to mind).
1. Agreed. They were average but are improving.

2. Don't agree. Most of the time when someone says India's chips are down is basically because SRT falls cheaply. And I still say that when chasing huge totals Ganguly should open with Sehwag with SRT at no 3.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
Agreed.

God I am sick of our batsman's inability to bat on slugish low bouncing wickets.

Clarke should be given as much oportunity as possible on the tour for mine, the more experience he gets in India the more (faster) he will improve. also hes better than harvey - Hrvey rarely makes any contribution wil the bat and doesn't every do overly well with the ball.

i agree also with williams, dont rate him as a OD bowler - dont really rate him much overall but thats a little besides the boint. Kaspa, even though i dont like him either, is a much better bowler and hes more experienced.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: wat was that about india?

esgallindeion said:
1. Agreed. They were average but are improving.

2. Don't agree. Most of the time when someone says India's chips are down is basically because SRT falls cheaply. And I still say that when chasing huge totals Ganguly should open with Sehwag with SRT at no 3.
I've always thought that, ever since Sehwag started opening regularly. SRT might prefer opening, but for me India are a better side with Ganguly and Sehwag opening and him at either three or four (it's going to be hard to dislodge Laxman from three on current form).

Craig

World Traveller
Damm Cricket Web servers! This is the 3rd bloodly time I have had to type a message. I had a message typed, I go back to make correct a type, press down on the return key (accidently), I came back and it delates the message.

To say I am not happy is an under-statement :!(

I will re-write it again:

India had a good batting line-up in the Natwest Series opening with Ganguly and Shewag and having Tendulkar at 4 who made a couple of hundreds batting four and the rest of their batting line-up except with Danish Mongia.

Brad Williams bowled absolute tripe. I dont care whether it was the last ten overs or not, he geniunly bowled some bad balls. If somebody disputes this, go and watch the last five overs of the match or watch the match agin.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
India played well against Australia. But when you look at aussies bowling attack, its really no surprise to see the end result. The real challenge for india is yet to come with the likes of Mcgrath, lee and gillespie. The difference between the two teams was there bowling attack.Anyway well played india and congrats to tendulkar on getting another 100. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
gibbsnsmith said:
ah, okay

My opinion on Dinesh Mongia still stands..
And I very much agree with you.
A batsman who has failed so many times and got such a long run in a side is uncommon.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India played well against Australia. But when you look at aussies bowling attack, its really no surprise to see the end result.
Maybe so but it was the Aussie batting line-up which lost them the game. On that deck, they would have expected to be chasing 260+ and were well on the way to the win (0/132 after 24 overs bodes well!) when they collapsed against some reasonable bowling from Khan and the part-timer in Sehwag.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Australia and spin

Barring Hayden and Ponting (to some extent), the rest of the batsmen aren't great players of spin particularly finger spin.

The Pura Cup doesn't feature a single decent finger spinner -- I **personally** think Hauritz has quite a while to go before he can play internationally.

Most of the spinners Australia produce and have produced are wristies -- either left armers or the orthodox type e.g Warne, Hogg, Casson, Bright, White, MacGill etc.

So its not really a surprise that historically, the Aussies have struggled against quality finger spinners on pitches offering some help to them.

Richard, i think made a comment that finger spinners weren't of
much use outside of the subcontinent and possibly the Caribbean.
I don't really agree with this -- it really depends on whether the finger spinner chooses to deceive batsmen thru the air rather than off the pitch. If the former, I see no reason why a finger spinner can't be successful on various types of wickets e.g Erapalli Prasanna did quite well on New Zealand's seaming wickets in 1967-68 and 1975-76. BS Bedi was quite outstanding
on the Australian tour of 1977-78 and not just at Sydney.
Murali I belive took quite a few wickets on Sri Lanka's 2001 RSA tour, another place not renowned for turning wickets.
I haven't seen Murali for a while but BS Bedi was certainly a spinner who beat a lot of batsemn with his flight.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So its not really a surprise that historically, the Aussies have struggled against quality finger spinners on pitches offering some help to them.
I guess it could be put down to the decks here; being a finger spinner on Aussie pitches is a lonely past-time. Also, I think finger spin bowling hasn't been given as much respect in Australia because it requires subtlety and us Aussies ain't much for that sort of thing. :) All of our greatest spinners are wristies and I don't think it's a co-incidence. Seeing someone turn the ball a mile is something we can see whereas the subtle changes in flight and spin a finger-spinner might do aren't picked up as easily by us unsubtle Aussies so we tend to miss it, hence why writies are favoured.

I mean, who was our last mildly good finger spinner? Tim May? Ashley Mallett?

By the way, Ray Bright was a left-arm finger spinner, mate. :)

So yeah, the Aussies do struggle with finger spin and the lack of exposure to it I'd say would be considered our fault for sure.