• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tangiwai Disaster and cricket match

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The innings by Sutcliffe and the young bloke whose fiance(?) passed away is, iirc, featured in Rick Smith'sbook Great Days in Test Cricket, the chapter being titled A Different Kind of Courage.

I admit I'd not head of what had happened before reading the book. It's one of the more moving stories in the game.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Chubb

International Regular
It was quite a good film, although it did fictionalise some aspects of the story. I enjoyed it though - and the cricket sections were well done, probably because O'Brien was there.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I quite enjoyed the film. It's one of the more moving and remarkable stories in our sporting history, so it's fantastic to see it celebrated and attention drawn to it.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was also an excellent little book that came out in 2009 - "What are you doing here?" by Norman Harris

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The innings by Sutcliffe and the young bloke whose fiance(?) passed away is, iirc, featured in Rick Smith'sbook Great Days in Test Cricket, the chapter being titled A Different Kind of Courage.

I admit I'd not head of what had happened before reading the book. It's one of the more moving stories in the game.
I was the same, great little book that.

EDIT: Haha, thought I'd written something about this Test before, and I did - copied it out of that book, haha, Did give credit though, didn't I?

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/12608-most-courageous-act-ever.html

Geez, there's some old posters floating around there.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw a play on this at the Maidment (?) Theatre in Auckland a couple of years ago too, it was brilliant.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Read the chapter on it in Sutcliffe's book? Best telling of the story that I've read so far.
Pretty good read so far. Has got me wondering about all the non-Tests played between NZ and Australia. Those seemed to be some pretty damn good Australia B teams that played against NZ in that era. I'm surprised they haven't gone back and given them Test status retrospectively. How much difference would they make to Meckiff or Benaud's stats? Would make a few NZ careers of the era look a bit more meaningful with the data added in too.