• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at The Oval

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's the Ross Emerson-Murali show.

With Tony Greig sticking up for the disgusting Ranatunga.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The difference in Irfan Pathan and RP Singh being that Irfan was perfoming very well before his injury in FC while RP was ****.

Irfan also was gaining form and looking fit during the IPL and RP was **** even in that and looking out of order. Also Irfan gives a option of playing 5 bowlers to offset the loss of Zaheer with no need to ****ing bowl Raina while RP doesn't.
I'd say if his next Ranji season is good, then Irfan should be put into the Test set up - he has been in good form in Ranji Trophy and his conditioning is good. I disagree that him or Dhoni are good enough batsmen for us to go with five bowlers though. Irfan at eight and Harbhajan at nine will be a strong lower order, for once.

Burgey

The artist who did that painting in this doco used a fair bit of licence in making Murali's arm so straight.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Tipping it down here in the south. Absolutely bloody freezing, sat in the office with a coat on and my fingers are going blue. I have nfi why our air-con is blowing cold air over us all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So true. Selection based on hunches ftl. Brings to light Cribb's point of players being recalled despite having done nothing, once people got desperate and forgot how **** they once were to have lost their spot in the first place, i.e. Irfan Pathan.
Yep, exactly. The less you play, the better you get - in perception anyway.

"Whatever happened to X?" is a common question uttered by frustrated fans of losing teams. Unfortunately, X was more than likely found out, dropped, declined further and has since settled into life as a middling domestic performer. And RP Singh's case, all that is actually pretty flattering.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd say if his next Ranji season is good, then Irfan should be put into the Test set up - he has been in good form in Ranji Trophy and his conditioning is good.
I'd question how good his conditioning is considering he missed the entire 2010/11 season - I'd say it's pretty crap in that scenario.

FBU

International Debutant
tbf it's not as if Tremlett was unavailable for most of the time between his debut in 2007 and his recall at the end of last year. At least I don't think it is. The selectors simply ignored him for a while didn't they?
After 2007 in county cricket

2008 31 wickets at 34.54 (13 matches)
2009 14 wickets at 40.28 (7)

moved to Surrey
2010 - 48 wickets at 20.18 (12)

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well that was a load of ****, spent about 3 and a half hours drinking overpriced beer watching the 2007 ODI (at least I got to watch Dimi hit 5 sixes), was that worst kind of weather that just hints occasionally at getting better, typical English summer.

What cricket there was pretty poor, ridiculously innocuous bowling attack, did not even get to see Praveen.

Also missed out on a refund by just one over, should write to the ECB and demand one, on the basis that an over bowled by Suresh Raina on the first morning of a test should be forfeit.

flibbertyjibber

Feel for you Pothas, sounds like i should be glad i missed it by taking kids out all morning, at least i didn't pay a shedload out to watch dire stuff.

India should if they apply themselves with the bat get out of this with a draw.

Jacknife

International Captain
After 2007 in county cricket

2008 31 wickets at 34.54 (13 matches)
2009 14 wickets at 40.28 (7)

moved to Surrey
2010 - 48 wickets at 20.18 (12)
Yes, Tremlett has said himself that while at Hampshire, he was just going through the motions in the last couple of years and the move to Surrey and a new fitness regime has given a new lease of life and made him a better bowler.

Jacknife

International Captain
Well that was a load of ****, spent about 3 and a half hours drinking overpriced beer watching the 2007 ODI (at least I got to watch Dimi hit 5 sixes), was that worst kind of weather that just hints occasionally at getting better, typical English summer.

What cricket there was pretty poor, ridiculously innocuous bowling attack, did not even get to see Praveen.

Also missed out on a refund by just one over, should write to the ECB and demand one, on the basis that an over bowled by Suresh Raina on the first morning of a test should be forfeit.
I agree with you on that front.

Top_Cat

Fair stunned India picked RP. It's not fair on him and what the hell happened to Munaf? Must do wonders for his confidence to be leap-frogged by a bloke who hasn't played a FC match in 6 months.

Sensing Don Argus might have some more work after he's done with the Australian review.