• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

salman85

International Debutant
Why is this thread still open?

I had already established,and proven,that Pakistan will win this series.

Close this thread.Go do something that has some cause for uncertainty,like knitting.

salman85

International Debutant
Why is this thread still open?

I had already established,and proven,that Pakistan will win this series.

Close this thread.Go do something that has some cause for uncertainty,like knitting.

smash84

The Tiger King
They're excellent deliveries, but England's attack has just about everything covered these days. Of yorkers in ODIs, the first thing that comes to mind is Bresnan's 5-for against India and Broad's 4-14 against South Africa, and those are just from the World Cup.

At any rate, England's attack is almost certainly the best exponent of reverse swing right now. Off the top of my head I can think of Bresnan's ball to dismiss Tamim in the Test at Dhaka, but especially Anderson's old ball spell on day 4 at Sydney, to dismiss Khawaja and Clarke. (skip to 1:28. A little later on there's Tremlett dismissing Johnson with another reversing beauty.)
What is so great about these deliveries? Only the one that got Johnson was good enough to get the batsman out on pitches like Sharjah. The other two, the ball might not even carry when it is that old.

Jacknife

International Captain
They're excellent deliveries, but England's attack has just about everything covered these days. Of yorkers in ODIs, the first thing that comes to mind is Bresnan's 5-for against India and Broad's 4-14 against South Africa, and those are just from the World Cup.

At any rate, England's attack is almost certainly the best exponent of reverse swing right now. Off the top of my head I can think of Bresnan's ball to dismiss Tamim in the Test at Dhaka, but especially Anderson's old ball spell on day 4 at Sydney, to dismiss Khawaja and Clarke. (skip to 1:28. A little later on there's Tremlett dismissing Johnson with another reversing beauty.)
Interesting watching that back and I remember at the time, when it started to reverse swing Jimmy increased his pace to 87/89 mph. That whole spell from Jimmy had the Aussies bamboozled but apparently if it isn't a yorker, it's not very good.

smash84

The Tiger King
no.....dude if you would have bothered to read my comment properly (I should say that it is not that clear) but I said that in Sharjah the old ball might probably not carry to the keeper a lot of times and so bowling full, fast, late swing, and into the stumps is always a much much better strategy.

Also with the incompetent Pak batsmen you should expect them to miss the good deliveries.

But honestly I didn't find those deliveries that great. Might as well have put up some Simon Jones :dry:

Howe_zat

Audio File
The old ball will carry just fine if it's finding the edge at well over 80, the keeper will work out where to stand. Secondly, it's not just about the odd delivery but the spell I was referring to. That spell was among the best spells of reverse swing I've seen over the last decade, and if you can't appreciate that, we'll just have to leave it there.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As mentioned earlier in the thread Borthwick would be a left field selection. He's already played in UAE actually and did rather well, albeit with a pink ball in a curtain raiser against an MCC side - think he took 8/9 wickets in the match.

I have no idea if he'd be ready or not. Durham have been very tentative in their use of him (he often comes on just to clean up tailenders) and I haven't seen him play. So I couldn't tell you whether he'd just end up as a bowling all-rounder version of Steve Smith or if he'd end up actually being useful. But hey we've effectively just played with 10 men against India by picking Bopara so it may be a luxury England could afford. I think he's a better option than Rashid who seems to becoming much more of a limited overs bowler. But then again Pakistan would perhaps play finger spin much more badly than wrist spin.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
The old ball will carry just fine if it's finding the edge at well over 80, the keeper will work out where to stand. Secondly, it's not just about the odd delivery but the spell I was referring to. That spell was among the best spells of reverse swing I've seen over the last decade, and if you can't appreciate that, we'll just have to leave it there.
Agree and like I've put above, it wasn't just the wicket ball, it was the deliveries before that set it up.

And smalishah84 I have read what you put perfectly fine and what does a delivery in Australia got to do with Sharjah, the bowler, whoever it is, isn't going to bowl exactly the same on both pitches, they would change their tactics to suit the pitch.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Difference is not the carry in itself, but how hard you have to go at the ball to make it carry, and the extra time that you have to adjust.

Mr Popodopolous

Cricket Spectator
Pakistan's pace attack will be nullified by the pitches but England's will be able to reverse in the same conditions. :wacko:
More likely both batting lineups- provided spin doesn't dso the job or Pakistan don't just collapse against the odds as has happened many times before, then yeah both batting lineups in those conditions could cancel each other out and 0-0 it may end up.

If the pitches are as dry as that too, I recall The Oval dry pitch, sunny- Pakistan won and Riaz took 5 in those conditions. No Aamer or Asif though which gives us a distinct advantage and no mistake.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
That's why Riaz is so dangerous with reverse swing.

Just like England produces swing bowlers who are very good with the new ball, Pakistan produces swing bowlers who are very good with the old ball. All our bowlers can reverse even before they start international cricket.

smash84

The Tiger King
That's why Riaz is so dangerous with reverse swing.

Just like England produces swing bowlers who are very good with the new ball, Pakistan produces swing bowlers who are very good with the old ball. All our bowlers can reverse even before they start international cricket.
This.

Let's keep the discussion to bowling please. Batting and fielding don't matter in cricket :ph34r:

Xuhaib

International Coach
people are overrating Wahab here he is awesome in one innings and then go missing for the rest of the series. If Pakistan has to compete the onus lies on Gul and Ajmal and even about them I am not even that sure they can consistently do the job against this powerful and long English batting line up.

If Pakistan has to compete their batsman have to do the job as I can't see this attack pick 20 wickets.

Xuhaib

International Coach
the only positive I see about this attack is Ajmal, Wahab and Gul can run thorough a side on their day however their days (espeically Wahab & Gul) come with big gaps. Hopefully Pakistan can get lucky where the batting clicks and in the same game Gul abd Riaz come to the party otherwise I don't see how we can win a test match against this lineup.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Don't worry Xuhaib and Smali. Our bowlers always manage to pick wickets one way or another. I am not saying we will win, but we definitely have a decent chance. Plus Wahab has been delivering for us in pressure situations so far in his career.