• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've always thought 'side on' bowlers got more swing in general (reverse and conventional).
I think that's just a hangover of the fact that some of the greatest swing bowlers were side on bowlers.

Don't think there's a real science behind that, but it's an interesting point.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is that stumps? Encouraging scoreline.

For some reason or other I've managed to convince myself that we'll bat ourselves right back in front tomorrow. Will be pretty crushed if they collapse again.
The old England would crumble that is for sure but there is enough evidence from recent times that suggests we could come back and make a really big score. Am just trying to ignore quite how terribly they played Ajmal in the first innngs, what we do know for certain that there are players capable of scoring very big.

Spark

Global Moderator
nah I'm natural outswing and hit the seam 97% of the time. Need to alter action to bring arm near ear to get anything like inswing.

Maybe have just never bowled with a suitable ball, but I have got a ball I've used at training for years which is reasonable one side and pretty ****ty the other.

Play LO cricket so no chance of getting reverse in a game ftr
Yeah this only applies to reverse. It's a rare gift to conventionally swing it both ways (with a similar action and with good control), you need a superb seam and wrist position. Anderson the only one who can really do it and control it, Harris whenever he plays can do it. Have high hopes for Pattinson too.

If you're not getting it, you need a better ball.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
nah I'm natural outswing and hit the seam 97% of the time. Need to alter action to bring arm near ear to get anything like inswing.

Maybe have just never bowled with a suitable ball, but I have got a ball I've used at training for years which is reasonable one side and pretty ****ty the other.

You can get the white ball to reverse too, but again depends on the conditions. It reverses in quite a few matches here in India.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Happy for Spark to move this to a new thread, but:

Yeah as you say, to get in swing your arm needs to be basically beyond the perpendicular. But that's regulation swing, not reverse.

It's easy to tell someone how to swing the conventional ball both ways, it takes time and practice for them to master it though.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I think that's just a hangover of the fact that some of the greatest swing bowlers were side on bowlers.

Don't think there's a real science behind that, but it's an interesting point.
I think it could be to do with extra force coming from the twist of the lower body at release, but I'm probably talking out my arse.

Edit: One good example for me is Dominic Cork, not a particularly great bowler but definitely swung the ball, and had a very side on action.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
You're 100 runs ahead with 3 wickets in hand on a road after losing the toss.

Some of you are just spoiled by success :p
nah. First test was always our best chance to nail England especially after getting them 192 ao. Pakistan is still ahead but its not by a big margin as they bat 4th here.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha I was thinking of moving the reverse posts to a new thread but the shift has been so gradual that I don't actually know how many posts to move. Not too fussed to see it here though, play's over for the day and it's an interesting topic.

benchmark00

better edit again, we use red ones :p

bench,
doesn't explain why my training ball has never reversed though, maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Possibly. You really need to work on the one ball for ages at training, then at the end of the session, pack it in your bag and use it again the next sesh, then repeat. You need to really lather the one side so it's really red and shiny and the other side a light colour. Only way I can describe it. Training balls are **** and if you just pick up a ball at the start of training that hasnt had any work on it you can't expect it to reverse even at the end of it.

To speed it up, scratch one side on the concrete. That's if you're into ball tampering (which I am ftr).

Uppercut

Nah you're actually quite right with just flipping the ball.

Conventional swing is reliant on your 'natural' action. Some are natural in swing bowlers, while others out swing.

Reverse is totally concerned with the ball and aerodynamics. You don't need a certain action to make it reverse one way or the other.
Hmm, when the ball is swinging conventionally it almost always (i.e. whenever Midge isn't defying physics) has the seam slanted towards the way the bowler wants the ball to swing, whereas reverse swing seems to work best with the seam pointing straight down the pitch.