• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
The coveted no. 1 position is indeed a crown of thorns. I am rather surprised at the way England are being knocked around.

They are not an ATG team by any means; and no one who understands cricket claims so. Just a high quality team who seem to do the basics right in a transitional era for most other teams. Nothing more; nothing less. That does not mean England shouldn't get credit due to them!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Um that truly depends on who it is that's bowling.

In fact I am pissed at seeing gul not even do the few things he is good at!!
Dude, the ability to reverse swing isn't something you can do all the time. You need a ball to be in a certain shape for it to start reversing.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Or maybe that could because this pitch isn't conducive to reverse swing...
What's the pitch got to do with getting movement in the air?

Interestingly Anderson has tried to get reverse, i assume believing he could achieve it, he has come up short, I suspect a shoaib or steyn would have achieved it.

Spark

Global Moderator
What's the pitch got to do with getting movement in the air?

Interestingly Anderson has tried to get reverse, i assume believing he could achieve it, he has come up short, I suspect a shoaib or steyn would have achieved it.
You do understand how reverse swing works, right...? It has everything to do with the pitch (and the outfield). You need to seriously rough up the ball (one side of it) to get reverse.

Never seen Steyn reverse it myself - although I've never seen him actually need to.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Going to be very difficult for England to get back in the game if this pair takes the lead past 100. The last few batsmen can just slog and account for another quick 20-30 runs.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
More like Steyn > Anderson, Broad >~ Morkel, Philander >~ Tremlett/Bresnan (sample size is important) and Swann >>> Tahir, in my books.

On the whole, the English are better rounded, have a ridiculously good reserve strength and at least on paper, have an attack well-suited to all sorts of conditions.
SA have a far better 5th bowler in Kallis though and their top bowlers are more tried and tested in all conditions.Also, Tahir and Morkel slightly getting underrated too for different reasons.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Dude, the ability to reverse swing isn't something you can do all the time. You need a ball to be in a certain shape for it to start reversing.
Yes, it needs to be worked on, ball needs to be "cultivated" and I assume England have been doing this which us why Anderson tried, am I correct?

benchmark00

Great use of the crease. Really delicious.

People think playing spin is all about moving your feet to get to the pitch of it. Great players of spin go both ways though. Create full balls and create short balls.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
SA have a far better 5th bowler in Kallis though and their top bowlers are more tried and tested in all conditions.Also, Tahir and Morkel slightly getting underrated too for different reasons.
Steyn aside, who are you referring to here?

benchmark00

Yes, it needs to be worked on, ball needs to be "cultivated" and I assume England have been doing this which us why Anderson tried, am I correct?
They can try and shine all they want, if it isn't rough enough it won't reverse, simple as that.

Spark

Global Moderator
Great use of the crease. Really delicious.

People think playing spin is all about moving your feet to get to the pitch of it. Great players of spin go both ways though. Create full balls and create short balls.
You can actually play spin purely off the back foot, Martyn was a master of it. Difficult though.