• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Repercussions

Bun

Banned
What next?

Bun suggests:

1. Chuck out that jelly Mr. Fletcher.
2. Assess the future of ageing (aged?) superstars in the team (unfortunately including Tendulkar)
3. Develop some fast bowlers.
4. Develop players who can play fast bowlers.
5. Give test caps to those who have earned it, and not whippydashy T20 players out there for a laugh.

or

6. Stop pretending and stop playing test cricket and just concentrate on silly T20 leagues. Let's show them what "after me, the deluge" means... 8-)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Chuck out that jelly Mr. Fletcher. We, as fans don't really know to what extent he's responsible. Don't think he is at all tbh.
2. Assess the future of ageing (aged?) superstars in the team (unfortunately including Tendulkar) Dravid looks fine, Laxman got going a couple of times and you just don't drop Sachin.
3. Develop some fast bowlers. Easier said than done, it's not like India hasn't been trying. Got to try and send a couple over to play some CC imo.
4. Develop players who can play fast bowlers. Unfortunately, they don't get to play quality fast bowlers back home and even when they do it isn't on helpful pitches. This is where the A tours come in.
5. Give test caps to those who have earned it, and not whippydashy T20 players out there for a laugh. No player has been given a test cap based on T20 so I don't know where you're coming from. ODIs, perhaps (Kohli, Yuvraj). But yeah, they need to give domestic pros a decent run

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Overhaul the domestic structure. Restructure the domestic league, get the pitches right. I'm not advocating a wholesale shift towards green pitches, but rather some variety. When was the last time we saw a proper turner?

Prioritise. Cricketers aren't amateurs. If the IPL pays exponentially more than the FC league, it's inevitable for players to shift their sights. Either link IPL pay packages to FC performances in some way, or loosen the purse strings and make the FC league financially comparable to the IPL.

Everything else flows from there. There are no quick fixes. All one can do here is set the fundamentals right and reap the rewards in the long term.

Bun

Banned
Or better make IPL entry difficult for FC guys. Make some conditions like the chap should've played atleast 5 FC games in the last 2 seasons to earn an IPL place.

Jacknife

International Captain
I think best thing to do from here is not to over react to what's happened. Next series they need, better planning, more preparation, getting the players fit and firing all at the same time is the key, easier said than done but not impossible.
Things like bowlers, there isn't much you can do, that's more about the system back in India, maybe getting younger promising bowlers to come over to County cricket and get some experience would be one thing to look into, could say the same for batsmen. There's one thing racking the runs up in first class cricket but experience of alien conditions would be invaluable. More India A tours abroad would be a really helpful thing for the up and coming guys.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I do think Praveen has shown many obsevers (self included and many more seasoned than I) that pace isn't the be all and end all. If there are some other Indian seam-up bowlers who can do a similar job to him they might be worth blooding. Ishant is worth perserving with as there's definitely something there, but Sree has been bitterly disappointing this series.

Might be time to say "thanks for coming" to Harbhajan too. Obviously spin hasn't been to the fore in this series, but he hasn't been a threat at all and seems unable to tie up an end anymore. Mishra hardly grasped the nettle either, so maybe Ojha (who has impressed me whenever I've seen him) should be given an extened chance.

Raina doesn't look of the requisite quality either.

Uppercut

I wouldn't be overreacting, India don't really have any right to compete away from home to a team like the current England side with the players they have available. As poor as most of their players were, you're kidding yourself if you think any of the potential replacements would have made much difference.

IMO the major repercussion should regard the preparation for future tours. That's the one big lesson India need to learn from this.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I think it's all about the planning element. If you guys had planned and prepared better you would have performed a lot better. You can't change the way your cricketers develop that much. India has always produced medium pacers and that isn't about to change. Your batsmen will always have problems against lateral movement or short balls because pitches in India aren't suited to that. You can provide them with experience through county cricket etc, but countries like England, RSA, etc will always have the upper hand in those conditions because their players develop there.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Fletcher isn't that bad a coach and I'm not sure how much he could really be blamed for any of this, but I do wonder if he's the right choice for India going forward.

Bun

Banned
as someone said, the primary issue was preparation going into this tour... and ****en BCCI and fletcher should share equal responsibility for that.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
as someone said, the primary issue was preparation going into this tour... and ****en BCCI and fletcher should share equal responsibility for that.
We have no idea how much say Fletcher would have in that though.

Its a tricky one but I don't think any of us are in a position to point fingers at Fletcher.

Thats not to say I think he should stay, his coaching style is too rigid for my taste

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not wishing to absolve Flecther, but when was the tour schedule decided on? He's only been in the job five minutes after all.

That said, he never did like first-class tour matches, preferring the 14-a-side hit-and-giggle affair. One of the best things Flower ever did was to make all our tour games FC so players were playing for their records as well as the practice.

Uppercut

I'm not a massive fan of Fletcher but if they felt he was the right man for the role before the tour began then they certainly shouldn't be getting rid now.

Bun

Banned
We have no idea how much say Fletcher would have in that though.

Its a tricky one but I don't think any of us are in a position to point fingers at Fletcher.

Thats not to say I think he should stay, his coaching style is too rigid for my taste
Not wishing to absolve Flecther, but when was the tour schedule decided on? He's only been in the job five minutes after all.

That said, he never did like first-class tour matches, preferring the 14-a-side hit-and-giggle affair. One of the best things Flower ever did was to make all our tour games FC so players were playing for their records as well as the practice.
This isn't a U-19 side or a Bangers side he's taking to England for their first series, but a no.1 side coming off a successful WC win after 2 years at the top. This side scarcely looks like the side which would pull of stunning heists from the brink that was hall mark of the Kirsten era, however short it was.

Personnel haven't changed drastically either. The core for this series was same, so the only area where it all horribly went wrong was planning and preparing. I think Fletcher has ****ed up pretty badly on that front.

There is no shortage of class or ability in this Indian side, yeah quite a lot of things went wrong for us but overall it reeked off failing to plan properly.

Bun

Banned
I'm not a massive fan of Fletcher but if they felt he was the right man for the role before the tour began then they certainly shouldn't be getting rid now.
He's paid a hefty packet to produce results and if he can't he has to go out. If they thought he was the rigt person before the tour, then it was a bad decision in hindsight which ought to be corrected.

Oh why o why Kirsten :( Why did u have to leave? BCCI should've granted him and Paddy honorary Indian citizenships... the effect that these two had on our team has been massive.

Jacknife

International Captain

Yes, I would have thought that the schedule and the tour matches were almost certainly arranged before he took charge.
Maybe it's not so much because of Fletcher but more the disturbance of Kirsten leaving has had on the team, that almost feels like it's searching for excuses though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This isn't a U-19 side or a Bangers side he's taking to England for their first series, but a no.1 side coming off a successful WC win after 2 years at the top. This side scarcely looks like the side which would pull of stunning heists from the brink that was hall mark of the Kirsten era, however short it was.

Personnel haven't changed drastically either. The core for this series was same, so the only area where it all horribly went wrong was planning and preparing. I think Fletcher has ****ed up pretty badly on that front.

There is no shortage of class or ability in this Indian side, yeah quite a lot of things went wrong for us but overall it reeked off failing to plan properly.
Planning was grade-A gash, no arguments. My concern would be pinning it all on Fletcher.

More of a systemic failure, perhaps? Plus there's the justifiable concern of priorities. Sehwag & Zaheer are both absolutely pivotal players, yet both played IPL after a gruelling WC campaign and turned up for the 2011 blue ribbon test series injured and unfit & about to break down respectively.

Xuhaib

International Coach
no over the top repercussions at the end of the day an out ofform team ran in to a red hot side, even before the series every body knew the shortcomings of Indian bowling which were over exposed due to Zak's injury.

Uppercut

India did fantastically well to make it to number one but they never faced anything like the quality of cricket England have produced in this series, least of all in unfamiliar conditions with sub-standard preparation. In spite of everything I still think they're not really getting enough credit from some of the opposition fans.

I said the same thing during the Ashes, and at the start of this tour commented on how it would give us a benchmark to measure the extent to which England's victory down under was English brilliance rather than Australian incompetence. What's gone on in the first three tests could barely have answered that question more conclusively. If I was an Aussie fan I'd be feeling a lot better about the side's future prospects now than I did two months ago.

Last edited: