• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you love Alastair Cook?

Do you love Cook?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smash84

The Tiger King
Definitely, still doesn't mean it wasn't boring (if that's your opinion) though.

Warne took 708 more wickets than Cook in tests too, while we're doing irrelevant comparisons :happy:
haha.....awta.......adhominem attacks don't mean that Warne was wrong

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Its nice to see some new players dominating the batting scene, thoroughly bored of the same top 5 or 6 for the last 10 or so years. Im sure Cook will become old hat at some point, and he isn't pretty to watch by any means, but a whole lot prettier than Gambhir, who thankfully hasn't hung around too long this series. Painfully awkward batsman.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
yea
lol at people saying hussey is a boring batsman to watch.

even kallis when defending so well isn't that bad to watch.

but don't think anyone can match cook's high concentration levels atm.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I could be wrong but I don't think Warne said it was the most boring innings but rather the most boring Test match. Implied perhaps, but.

Jacknife

International Captain
I could be wrong but I don't think Warne said it was the most boring innings but rather the most boring Test match. Implied perhaps, but.
When on comms he moaned for ages about how England haven't scored fast enough and he said they could have been up to 1000 by the end of the day if they were more attacking. Then moaned about Cook inparticular about how few boundaries he'd hit and about how he should be entertaining the crowd, whoever was in comms with him pointed out that the England fans are loving it.
At the end of the day when you win by an innings and 242 runs in 4 days, you haven't got leg to stand on.
I've liked Warne since he came into the comms box especially in the last few series he's done but sometimes you get the feeling, he knows he's there to be a bit controversial and speak his mind but he gets a bit carried away sometimes.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should have won in three days tbh. It was tedious fare day three tbh, though he was doing a great job for his team of course.

And by tedious, I mean the bowling was rank so they could have gotten on with it had they wanted to, as opposed to the bowling being decent and they were being properly circumspect.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
AWTA 100% from Jacknife.

This was slaughter, pure and simple. We won by a bloody mile with day and a bit to spare. There was no need for Cook to do anything more than he did, and criticism of his and England's approach is pretty preposterous really. Mind you, I'm happy for it to come from an ATG player with a genuinely attacking mindset as opposed to Geoff Boycott who showed world-class lack of insight by accusing Cook of lacking attacking intent.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cook's never going to be a stylist, let's be honest. Has attractive enough pull and cut shots, but he doesn't have the verve or the game to eviscerate attacks like Pietersen or Bell can.

That said he scored his 294 runs at better than 50, quicker in fact than Strauss or Morgan, both of whom managed slightly fewer.

smash84

The Tiger King
KP has got to be the most exciting player in the English team for the last 5 years or perhaps since he has debuted

smash84

The Tiger King
was **** for a roughly 2 year period in the middle i think but generally makes for compulsive viewing

tooextracool

International Coach
When on comms he moaned for ages about how England haven't scored fast enough and he said they could have been up to 1000 by the end of the day if they were more attacking. Then moaned about Cook inparticular about how few boundaries he'd hit and about how he should be entertaining the crowd, whoever was in comms with him pointed out that the England fans are loving it.
At the end of the day when you win by an innings and 242 runs in 4 days, you haven't got leg to stand on.
I've liked Warne since he came into the comms box especially in the last few series he's done but sometimes you get the feeling, he knows he's there to be a bit controversial and speak his mind but he gets a bit carried away sometimes.
We all know where Warne's biases lie so I think it is wise to take his statements with a grain of salt. Here is a guy who just wrote in his latest column that Eoin Morgan could be better than Steve Waugh.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Warney writes absolute fluff.

In saying that, from a neutral perspective, it wasn't exactly enthralling cricket to see Cook bat all day against a fairly woeful bowling line up.