• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia A / promising youngsters

iamdavid

International Debutant
Australia A are set to play several games later on in the years & I was wondering what you guys consider to be the likely line-ups.

There were several young finds last year , particularly on the bowling front , I was very impressed with Adam Griffith , Mark Cleary , Jerry Cassel , Doug Bollinger & Xavier Doherty.

Do you think these guys should be given opportunities at 'A' level?

Assuming the teams were selected today these would be my lineups.

FC-
1.*J.Maher
2.M.Hussey
3.M.Love
4.B.Hodge
5.M.Clarke
6.G.Blewett
7.+B.Haddin
8.C.White
9.S.Clark
10.A.Griffith
11.M.Inness

OD-
1.*J.Maher
2.+R.Campbell
3.B.Hodge
4.M.Clarke
5.S.Katich
6.M.Hussey
7.allrounder(Bradstreet,Hopes,Harvey???)
8.D.Wright
9.N.Hauritz
10.S.Clark
11.A.Griffith

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bradstreet
Ugh, pick the New South Welshman. :) Be serious now. :D

Your sides look pretty good in general. A bit old in some cases but still, probably fair to say that they'd be the second-strongest side.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I would consider adding S Tait to the squad he was very good last season and he started with a 4 wicket hall today Vs WA.

Also I would swap R Campbell & Brad Haddin around Haddin for the One dayers and Campbell for the FC games.

Haddin has proved he is a better One day batsman and Campbell possible a slightly better FC batsman.

Campbell is also a better keeper than haddin so he would be better for FC cricket than One Dayers.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Campbell is also a better keeper than haddin so he would be better for FC cricket than One Dayers.
I would have thought you would need your best keeper in the ODers, since you get more chances that really need to be taken.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Re: Re: Australia A / promising youngsters

Andre said:
Not quite sure where you have pulled him from!
I am talking about the Victorian fast bowler rather than the Queensland opening batsman of the same name , he really impressed me in a couple of televised matches with his accuracy & ability to swing the ball away.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Ugh, pick the New South Welshman. :) Be serious now. :D

Your sides look pretty good in general. A bit old in some cases but still, probably fair to say that they'd be the second-strongest side.
Well assuming Symonds & Harvey are both in the best ODI team at the moment considering all these injuries , & Watson cant bowl until December , there really arent many other options , I am a big fan of Dan Marsh but really he is just a batsman who can roll his arm over , Hopes is a decent OD bowler but his batting is rubbish , Thornely is untested at Pura Cup level despite his obvious potential , Brad Young is not the bowler he was 5 years ago , Cameron White's ING performances so far are rubbish despite his potential & I already had 2 spinners.
I guess some Victorians would make a case for John Moss but really I think he's one of those to good for club cricket/not good enough for first class cricket players despite his flattering record so far, Mark Higgs would be a front runner but he's a BIG underacheiver.

So really Bradstreet is not such an insane choice , the only other allrounders I havent mentioned are John Davison (who wouldnt be picked due to age) , Kade Harvey (another who's record flatters him) , Peter Worthington (inexperienced) , Scott Kremerskothen (under-rated but still no where near good enough) & Mick Miller.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Re: Re: Re: Australia A / promising youngsters

iamdavid said:
I am talking about the Victorian fast bowler rather than the Queensland opening batsman of the same name , he really impressed me in a couple of televised matches with his accuracy & ability to swing the ball away.
Are you sure you don't mean Robert Cassell? Medium pacer from Victoria....

One representing the ginger brigade too ;) :P

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i think you have got the teams nearly accurate, of course these type of things are always open to debate. I think Mark Higgs would be in the 1d side batting at 6 or 7.
Everyone else has mentioned other players i would consider including.

Oh and welcome to the forums from a fellow Canberran :)

iamdavid

International Debutant
Re: Re: Re: Re: Australia A / promising youngsters

Andre said:
Are you sure you don't mean Robert Cassell? Medium pacer from Victoria....

One representing the ginger brigade too ;) :P
:lol: Yes forgive me I do mean him , not the first time I have got those 2 mixed up either.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
I would have thought you would need your best keeper in the ODers, since you get more chances that really need to be taken.
Personally I'd rather have you best keeper at all times, but I'm a traditionalist!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Personally I'd rather have you best keeper at all times, but I'm a traditionalist!
So you'd prefer have a brilliant 'keeper who averages 20 rather than a very good 'keeper who averages 35?
Sometimes I really do question the logic of these so-called "traditionalists".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes I would, because a top keeper gets all those little chances, and stops the sneaky byes and leg byes, and can easily be worth 15 or more an innings.

I note England are now playing Read ahead of Jones (probably for that reason)

I always wanted the best keeper in the world in the last 10-15 years to play for England, but they kept picking Stewart instead.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
So you'd prefer have a brilliant 'keeper who averages 20 rather than a very good 'keeper who averages 35?
Sometimes I really do question the logic of these so-called "traditionalists".
In a ODI I'd rather have the keeper, chances need to be taken in the shorter format. Anyway you can pack the side with All-Rounders to make up for the lack of batting coming from the keeper. Andy Pratt of Durham is one of the best keepers I have ever seen, easily the equal of good old Jack Russell, yet he was dropped due to lack of runs. Honestly if you have a keeper that talented who will makes dismissals for you, surely that's more important than averaging 30+ with the bat? They replaced him with Phil Mustard, who's hardly done any better with the bat.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
I'd work it the opposite way to Rik - as India do.
A good keeper can save you just as many runs as a bad one might make, yet let through. If there's someone who's a good keeper and a slightly inferior bat I'd pick him straight over the better bat. But if there was a bit difference in the batting ability I might get swayed. I do class keepers like bowlers though, they are in there to do a job, and would you pick the weaker bowler just because he can bat a bit? Of course though, there are some brilliant keeper-batsmen, and batting is now classed as a job for the keeper, it's allways a bonus if he scores runs, but in Pratt's situation, Mustard isn't a world class batsman, and I'd easily go with Pratt, he's something pretty special.

With India, Dravid is not a great keeper, but he's decent enough, and he's an established member of the squad, and a world class batsman which would definately benefit the team more. But if the batting ability isn't so vast, I'd go for the keeper.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Of course though, there are some brilliant keeper-batsmen, and batting is now classed as a job for the keeper, it's allways a bonus if he scores runs, but in Pratt's situation, Mustard isn't a world class batsman, and I'd easily go with Pratt, he's something pretty special.
IMO Pratt is a far better batsman and 'keeper than Mustard.
Pratt's non-selection for most of last season has truly baffled me.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Certainly a prospect , this season will likely be the one which decides whether he go's on to be a contender for test honours or just another sheild trundler.

Had a great 2001/02 (41 wickets @24.6) but a pretty disapointing 2002/03 , certainly a great start but I reckon there are just as good if not better bowlers around in Adam Griffith , Ashley Noffke , etc.

Mitchell Johnson looked pretty impressive today , got some big wraps on him , Denis Lillee refered to him as "as once in a lifetime bowler" , now Denis wasnt bad himself so Johnson is certainly one to watch.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mitch Johnson looked fantastic today and he is still only 21-22.

Problem is he has been very injury prone but if he can overcome those problems he could be a very good bowler.