• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia A / promising youngsters

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mike Hussey should be next in line IMO.

He made a 60 odd off 60 balls in WA's first match and today has just made a brilliant 106 off like 94 balls.

Plus his domestic List a Avrage is better than both Kat and Hodge.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
Anyone see Michael Dighton bat today for Tasmania? He is the sort of batsman i like to watch. Good technique, a nice range of shots and has the ability to stay in.

And unlike Adam Gilchrist and Matt Hayden, when he hits the ball, it flyso f the bat, so he has a good bat and a good timer of the ball. When Hayden and Gilchrist hits the ball is because their bats are like clubs and so when they swing it goes like a rocket.

Dighton plays and hits the ball how I like to see a batsman bat.

Very impressive.
He is a very good young player , very similar to Martin Love in almost every facet , has a problem with left armers who angle the ball across him towards slip though , Bracken , Inness & Brett Swain have got him out like that alot & Johnson got him exactlly the same way last week.

He's generally a pretty good feildsman aswell & that was a good innings he played yesterday.

Eclipse

International Debutant
iamdavid said:
He is a very good young player , very similar to Martin Love in almost every facet , has a problem with left armers who angle the ball across him towards slip though , Bracken , Inness & Brett Swain have got him out like that alot & Johnson got him exactlly the same way last week.

He's generally a pretty good feildsman aswell & that was a good innings he played yesterday.
He hits the ball much harder than Love though. And his innings usualy have more boundrys in them espcialy in FC cricket.

One of his FC tons contained 23x4 in his first 100 runs.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
Mike Hussey should be next in line IMO.

He made a 60 odd off 60 balls in WA's first match and today has just made a brilliant 106 off like 94 balls.

Plus his domestic List a Avrage is better than both Kat and Hodge.

yeah i agree that hussey should be next in line, he has perfromed well for a fair while now and has an excellent average. great player. though clarke isn't really off the line yet so he should be no 1 in line :)

iamdavid

International Debutant
age_master said:
though clarke isn't really off the line yet so he should be no 1 in line :)
But Clarke is in the squad , I meant if there were to be an injury the next guy would likely be Hodge.

Cant discount Hussey but I reckon those 2 are playing just as well , they are all guarenteed spots for Australia A later this season , I reckon the likely team (for one dayers) considering whats happened so far this season would be-

1.Maher
2.Langer
3.Hodge
4.Clarke
5.Hussey
6.Katich
7.Campbell(Haddin a slight possibility)
8.Wright
9.Hauritz
10.Clark
11.Rofe/Griffith/Noffke(depending on form/fitness at the time)

Craig

World Traveller
I will be the first to confess that I dont watch a lot of the ING Cup for various reasons. But this weekend I had a good look.

I have always rated Hodge and Hussey to me is one of those batsmen, who do ok in Australia, but go to England and score a ton of runs, but when they come back, they do as well.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
I will be the first to confess that I dont watch a lot of the ING Cup for various reasons. But this weekend I had a good look.

I have always rated Hodge and Hussey to me is one of those batsmen, who do ok in Australia, but go to England and score a ton of runs, but when they come back, they do as well.
Funny thing is that when you dont include county cricket Hussey's first class average drops from an imposing 52.89 to a slightly less impressive 41.32.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I turned 15 last month & I got clocked at 125kph at the AIS , I open the bowling for ACT U15's.
That's pretty good for a 15-year-old, mate. You should be shopping for a NSW grade spot soon as I bet the scouts would be looking at you VERY soon.

And unlike Adam Gilchrist and Matt Hayden, when he hits the ball, it flyso f the bat, so he has a good bat and a good timer of the ball. When Hayden and Gilchrist hits the ball is because their bats are like clubs and so when they swing it goes like a rocket.
Hayden's bat is certainly quite heavy but Gilchrist's is a twig! Both of them have power through timing AND strength but mainly timing. Gilchrist gerenally just swings through the line of the ball better than most. You simply can't compare the hitting power of Gilchrist and Hayden vs Dighton. ighton played VERY VERY well yesterday and he certainly timed the ball exceedingly well but he's simply not in the hitting league of the other guys. Someone said he's like Marty Love and I'd agree with that (although he seems to hit a little harder than Love does).

Funny thing is that when you dont include county cricket Hussey's first class average drops from an imposing 52.89 to a slightly less impressive 41.32.
And I think you've just picked why Hussey hasn't been picked for higher honours. At the crucial moments when spots have been up for grabs, he's had a rough trot in Aussie domestic cricket. It's inexplicable, really. People have been talking about him as a potential Test opener since the early 90's but he hasn't played a single game for Australia. Why? Because he hasn't scored when the selectors have actually been looking at him. It's not a technical thing, for sure. Not sure what it is. Brad Hodge seems to suffer from the same thing; great talent, belt everyone when the pressure is off but when they're seriously being looked at, fail to deliver.

I think Katich or Maher would be the next batsman in line for a ODI spot behind Mike Clarke. Longer term, I think the selectors should be looking at guys like Dom Thornley too. He has a bit of Mark Waugh about him.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
That's pretty good for a 15-year-old, mate. You should be shopping for a NSW grade spot soon as I bet the scouts would be looking at you VERY soon.
Certainly hope so , we have some REALLY good coaches here in Canberra but the standard of oppositions leaves a bit to be desired.

I doubt I'll be looked at in the immediate future though as our rep team regularly warms up for a game with a knockabout game of touch football , during one of these games last Friday I tore my hamstring muscle pretty badly & I aint going to be playing for at least 5 weeks.:!(

Craig

World Traveller
Tough luck mate. You wont play again for another 5 weeks, then you will have to take it easy while it repairs it self fully and be able to bowl at your normal pace.

Did you tear it off the bone, because you will need surgery, as it wont fully repair itself if you have?

Actually if the standard isnt that high, maybe I should move to Canberra and try my luck. I aint the greatest of cricketers, so easier it is, the better.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
I think Katich or Maher would be the next batsman in line for a ODI spot behind Mike Clarke. Longer term, I think the selectors should be looking at guys like Dom Thornley too. He has a bit of Mark Waugh about him.

Dom Thornley looks like a very good player, good solid attacking bat, harvey like medium pace, economical, and a good fielder, i would have him in the ODI squad over harvey now (harveys in as an all rounder but on 99% of occasions he bats worse than our bowlers - ofcourse having said that he will probably save the game for us tonight or something)

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
Tough luck mate. You wont play again for another 5 weeks, then you will have to take it easy while it repairs it self fully and be able to bowl at your normal pace.

Did you tear it off the bone, because you will need surgery, as it wont fully repair itself if you have?

Actually if the standard isnt that high, maybe I should move to Canberra and try my luck. I aint the greatest of cricketers, so easier it is, the better.
No , thankfully I did not tear it right off the bone , that would have been a real pain in the ass , where in Australia are you located at the moment & what grade do you play?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
Gold Coast - about 5th/4th grade.

I'm not that great.
I was born in Tweed heads , I love the Gold Coast.

Based on that you would probably make 4th/3rd grade down here.

Craig

World Traveller
If you like very windy days - then this place is for you.

Just kidding, although it cant get very windy and some massive thunderstorms.