• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The better ODI bowler Brett Lee or Waqar Younis

The better ODI bowler

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Just found out that Brett Lee became the fastest to 350 ODI wickets beating Waqar Younis.

Brett Lee has been a very good ODI bowler over the years and both of them would probably make the top 10 all time ODI bowlers.

So which one of the two would you rate the better ODI bowler?

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah but in test matches I don't think its too much of a competition. Younis is definitely better than Lee in test matches

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Statistics aside, Waqar is my all time favourite bowler, so will definitely pick him above Lee. I got into cricket thanks to Waqar's bowling, and based on that fact alone (inspiring kids into cricket) Waqar is better than Lee.

subshakerz

International Coach
Pretty close, the only downside for Waqar was his record against Australia. Of course, Lee never had to face the best team.

I will go for Waqar. He had the capacity to rapidly change a game in the matter of an over or two. He was the better exponent of reverse swing.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pretty close, the only downside for Waqar was his record against Australia. Of course, Lee never had to face the best team.

I will go for Waqar. He had the capacity to rapidly change a game in the matter of an over or two. He was the better exponent of reverse swing.
during Waqar's peak Westindies was better then Australia if only just and Waqar had an outstanding record against them regarding Austrtalia Waqar never faced them fully fit all his 3 stress fractures coincided with a series with Australia.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
during Waqar's peak Westindies was better then Australia if only just and Waqar had an outstanding record against them regarding Austrtalia Waqar never faced them fully fit all his 3 stress fractures coincided with a series with Australia.
It's pretty hard to call the West Indies as being the strongest ODI team during the 90s without them having won a World Cup when Australia won one and were in one of the other two finals and neither side made the finals of the other World Cup in that era.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
It's pretty hard to call the West Indies as being the strongest ODI team during the 90s without them having won a World Cup when Australia won one and were in one of the other two finals and neither side made the finals of the other World Cup in that era.
was mainly referring to tests for odi's you can take SA who were matching Aus apart from the big trophies think Waqar went alright against them.

smash84

The Tiger King
nah.......Lee is not at all under rated in tests.......his test record really isn't that great. Never seemed lilke troubling too many good batsmen

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree. Whilst I wouldn't put him in the top echelon of bowlers, for obvious reasons, when we had our retirees and he spearheaded the attack he looked like a different bowler. Could have had a different career and, consequently, be seen in a different light if more of his career demanded he lead.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah but he never lead the attack except for a short period and looked decent in that but overall as you yourself say he was not in the top echelon.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. I just meant to imply that there was another level to his game he could have realised, but it wasn't long enough to change perceptions about him as a bowler. Some people will always think of him as expensive support but he had the ability to be a proper spearhead IMO.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
both of them would probably make the top 10 all time ODI bowlers.
I'm not so sure about that. Top 10 ODI bowlers of all-time for me would probably be something like this:

Muralitharan, McGrath, Garner, Wasim, Hadlee, Ambrose, Donald, Saqlain, Bond and Lee

smash84

The Tiger King
I'm not so sure about that. Top 10 ODI bowlers of all-time for me would probably be something like this:

Muralitharan, McGrath, Garner, Wasim, Hadlee, Ambrose, Donald, Saqlain, Bond and Lee
I don't know about that since Wisden rated Waqar as the 3rd or 2nd best ODI bowler of all time. That was in 2002 though

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd have thought it was pretty straightforward. Waqar in Tests, Lee in ODIs.
Yeah, pretty much this.

Lee played in a much tougher era for ODI bowling, and ended up with similar stats to Waqar. - especially Lee's ER could have been much much better had he played in any different era, can't say the same about Waqar though he has a similar ER to Lee.