• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The better ODI bowler Brett Lee or Waqar Younis

The better ODI bowler

• Total voters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
won't Bond also miss out because of longevity issues?
Debatable. Did Waqar or Lee have a peak like Bond's career? (not tests, talking ODI's only) ... I don't know, it's a genuine question... Also have to remember Bond's ODI heroics against the best ODI batting lineup of all-time (the aussies of his time).

smash84

The Tiger King
pretty sure remembering Waqar taking out many toes and stumps early on in his career. Haven't seen the stats but he was one of the quickest to 100 wickets (quicker than Bond I believe) and he also used to get a lot of wickets early on in his career against the WI who used to be the best back then

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
pretty sure remembering Waqar taking out many toes and stumps early on in his career. Haven't seen the stats but he was one of the quickest to 100 wickets (quicker than Bond I believe) and he also used to get a lot of wickets early on in his career against the WI who used to be the best back then
I personally believe, as ODI bowlers, Waqar has got nothing over Bond except longevity. I hope you would agree that on the basis of ER alone Waqar doesn't compare with ATG ODI bowlers, so let's not bring ER into this. Bond played in an era more difficult for ODI bowlers than Waqar's. Bond got 147 wickets @ 20.88. Waqar's cheapest 147 wickets must be his first 147. I think he averaged about 21-and-a-half for his first 147. Close, but not quite there. And yes, Waqar did well against WI, averaged 26. But that's a joke comparison with Bond's average of 15 against Ponting-Gilchrist-and-company. The way he just demolished the best ODI batting lineup of all-time time and again is the subject matter of legends.

I'm not saying that Bond is definitely a better ODI bowler than Waqar, it depends on how much value you assign to longevity. It's not an apple-to apple comparison. Lee-versus-Waqar is more apple-to-apple in terms of longevity (not in terms of era though).

And yeah, I'm a big fan of Waqar, the test bowler. So, don't get me wrong there.

smash84

The Tiger King
why would I get you wrong? Bond was a freak bowler really. Was outstanding whenever he was fit and inside the ball park but his career was way too short. Played very little in India, none in Pakistan, and only 3 matches in Sharjah where his average was on the higher side. More ODIs would probably have pushed his average up but that is something that we will never know since he only played 82 ODIs in 8-9 years of international cricket

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In my opinion, whilst being quite a good bowler, I think Bond benefitted a bit from being a bit of a shock to batters who didn't play against him that often.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
why would I get you wrong? Bond was a freak bowler really. Was outstanding whenever he was fit and inside the ball park but his career was way too short. Played very little in India, none in Pakistan, and only 3 matches in Sharjah where his average was on the higher side. More ODIs would probably have pushed his average up but that is something that we will never know since he only played 82 ODIs in 8-9 years of international cricket
Fair enough

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In my opinion, whilst being quite a good bowler, I think Bond benefitted a bit from being a bit of a shock to batters who didn't play against him that often.
Ponting is surely not one of those batters...got out to Bond 7 times in almost twice the number of matches, if I remember correctly.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I think, much like Wasim Akram, Waqar's stats don't tell the full story because of the extent that he was blighted by injury.

I voted for Younis because, if you compare his 4 wicket bags to Lee they are almost identical (14 vs 13) but if you compare the 5 wicket bags Younis is well ahead (13 to 9). Of course, Younis has played 60 odd more matches, but the ratios suggest he was better at completely destroying a team.

As an aside, is there any other paceman as good as Lee who was as ineffective as him in Tests?

smash84

The Tiger King
I can vote for Waqar any day with yorkers like these

Waqar Younis Stunning Bowling 1996 WC - GENIUS - YouTube

Agree that he has more 5fers but Waqar was always an expensive proposition for Pakistan. Maybe that also had to do that he would ALWAYS attack no matter what the situation but his ER was on the higher side. Still, his death bowling was pretty decent (not as good as Wasim though) and when the ball was reversing there were few bowlers who were better if any