• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "W" word

Will England win 4-0?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No, not that one. Harbhajan and Yuvraj are out of the series; keep up.

Whitewash.

There, I've said it.

It is possible or even, dare one say it, likely now? Will 2011 be England's 2006/07? It's starting to have that kind of vibe to it; steam-rollering the underdone Fletcher-lead visitors in the first test then taking their best shot in the first innings of the second test and coming back to win despite conceding a first innings lead.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Still reckon the Indians will win the dead rubber. England's modus operandi is still to **** up badly in one Test per series.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
It just sounds too good to be true. These sorts of things don't happen for English teams.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think India will do a lot better in the next two Tests than people are predicting, tbh. Wouldn't surprise me if the series finished 2-1.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A ten wicket defeat would be better than what I'm predicting tbh.

We're going Melbourne & Sydney on their sorry arses.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Interesting to note we haven't whitewashed a series of three or more Tests (or alternatively a series against anyone other than Bangas) since the golden summer of 2004. Weather tends to make it difficult before we even consider the difficulty of the oppo and our own ****-ups.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think India will do a lot better in the next two Tests than people are predicting, tbh. Wouldn't surprise if the series finished 2-1.
Actually, it would:

England 3-0 - 57/25 (3.28)
England 4-0 - 147/50 (3.94)
England 3-1 - 51/10 (6.10)
England 2-1 - 6/1 (7)
Engalnd 2-0 - 8/1 (9)
Drawn 2-2 - 16/1 (17)

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
4-0 far too short there, methinks. Considering the 4-0 is only one of the possible nine outcomes (WW), whereas 2-1 for example is two (DL or LD).

4-0, 2-2 and 2-0 should be the longest odds, as two of those won't be possible after the next Test.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
4-0 far too short there, methinks. Considering the 4-0 is only one of the possible nine outcomes (WW), whereas 2-1 for example is two (DL or LD).

4-0, 2-2 and 2-0 should be the longest odds, as two of those won't be possible after the next Test.
Sporting events aren't the same as brute chance, stating the bleedin' obvious as that may be. If one were rolling dice then yes, 2-1 would be more likely. However, to extend the metaphor, in this instance the dice is heavily weighted in favour of certain outcomes.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sporting events aren't the same as brute chance, stating the bleedin' obvious as that may be. If one were rolling dice then yes, 2-1 would be more likely. However, to extend the metaphor, in this instance the dice is heavily weighted in favour of certain outcomes.
Well I do know that much, what I'm saying is even though an England win in each Test I find more likely, I don't think it's enough to cancel out the maths - let alone overcome them to the extent those odds show. I think it's a pretty big dice with a relatively small weight in it.

So while I can see why 4-0 is far more attractive than 2-0 or 2-2, I don't think it should be ahead of the 3-1 or 2-1.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well I do know that much, what I'm saying is even though an England win in each Test I find more likely, I don't think it's enough to cancel out the maths - let alone overcome them to the extent those odds show. I think it's a pretty big dice with a relatively small weight in it.

So while I can see why 4-0 is far more attractive than 2-0 or 2-2, I don't think it should be ahead of the 3-1 or 2-1.
You can lead a nerd to water...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still, perhaps stupidly expect India to turn up and give us a game at some point so 3-1 is what i reckon now.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Talking big is mistake 4/5 times no matter how strong you are.
Anonymous, insignificant users talking big on an internet forum is vastly different from professional athletes doing it. I use "insignificant" in the general context as in a non-participant who has no bearing on the outcome of the test. That would of course include myself.

The English cricket team are out-and-out professionals and I am sure they intend to let their cricket do the talking. Shouldn't be any different as well.

Last edited:

EnglishCricket

Cricket Spectator
Oh they'll turn up alright; there are some ODIs apparently :ph34r:
Yes, lets not forget the Indians are the World champions, a bit like the Lankians, ODI cricket suits them better.

Suspect a fight back in the Tests as well, they have a track record of coming back from the brink in Tests series.