• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zaheer Khan ruled out of England series,R.P Singh is the replacement

Which bowler would you prefer in place of Zaheer?

• Irfan Pathan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scorpio1990

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Indeed he has cost india the series but he alone is not responsible for it.Though R.P Singh may just be the boost Bowling unit needed.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It's all pretty unprofessional. Injuries are one thing, but Zaheer has a responsibility to get himself in the best position he can to play good cricket for India. He's comprehensively failed to do it.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No surprise. Glad he is out of tour and not being kept around in the hope he will play a couple of one dayers, be better for him to have the hamstring heal properly and get fit by bowling back home in India ready for their next series.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
RP singh is a bit of a surprise. Though i guess has been done based on last time because he hasn't had great FC seasons recently either.

Would have preferred Irfan maybe myself.

Daemon

Cevno on one hand you argue that the BCCI discredit completely the Ranji Trophy and on the other you advocate the picking of Irfan Pathan...

scorpio1990

I don't know how one can opt for Irfan.He has not played a first class match since Feb 2010.He would not be in any shape to play a test match.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Cevno on one hand you argue that the BCCI discredit completely the Ranji Trophy and on the other you advocate the picking of Irfan Pathan...
The selection of RP singh was not made really based on domestic performance either.
Actually till 2009-10 Irfan is way ahead of RP in performances for the last few years.

In any case RP won't be playing the 3rd test now, so with the 4th test being at Oval which is generally a flatter pitch selecting Irfan means without Zaheer India has the option of going in with 5 bowlers which really may be needed specially if they want to play 2 spinners. Same applies in the ODI squad too with 4 seamers there already.
If you are selecting based on pure domestic performances then there are a few ahead of both.

Besides i didn't blame the BCCI for completely discrediting the Ranji trophy tbh. It is a bit different for batsman and bowlers depending on the conditions. For example there is no way i would want a Manoj Tiwary to go to England ahead of even Raina. Or Kaul to be the reserve wicketkeeper for there.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Mixed feelings. I want to see him play, but not well. :p

Genuinely thought this was fake when I first saw RP Singh called up though. When was the last time he played for India?

Flem274*

123/5
Traditionally India's strength has been spin, and pace bowlers taken wickets was a bonus. It makes me smile to see the process semi-reversed, with one world class pace bowler dragging the team along behind in pursuit of the number one position while the spinner with several hundred test wickets fails even in favourable conditions. It's great to see a real deal seamer in Zaheer emerge from India again.

In saying that, while the woes of the pace attack without Zaheer are easily observed, I don't think there is enough spotlight on Harbhajan. Apart from destroying South Africa in an innings or two, he has done nothing for a very long time now.

In Praveen Kumar India have a bowler good enough to exploit English conditions, and they have the spasmodic brilliance of Sreesanth and the developing Ishant. What they need is a spinner or two to consistently contribute like they used to. Surely India have two spinners who could take some wickets?

scorpio1990

I,for one, cannot understand why R.P Singh was booted out of the test team.He had last played against Australia in 2008 but had performed well.Yes,he could not take any wickets against S.A in home series but still deserved a few more chances instead of totally obliterating him from the test side for last 3 years.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed he has cost india the series but he alone is not responsible for it.Though R.P Singh may just be the boost Bowling unit needed.
he also created all the uncertainly around the indian camp....

could have replaced him with a left arm seamer much sooner too

now sree will be playing the 3rd test sigh

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I,for one, cannot understand why he was booted out of the test team.He had last played against Australia in 2008 but had performed well.Yes,he could not take any wickets against S.A in home series but still deserved a few more chances instead of totally obliterating him from the test side for last 3 years.
RP was gun a few years ago.. should've persisted with him for longer.
I think poor performances in the ODIs cost him the test cap too.

flibbertyjibber

Why if he needed ankle surgery that will take 14-16 weeks to recover from did they ponce about waiting for his hamstring to hopefully clear. Yes he is an inportant player but he is no use half fit anyway.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Because he just had one good series in England last time and was poor in the rest. Don't think he performed that well in Australia either.

After he was dropped he has done nothing to advocate his selection in FC cricket too. Think this call up is more based on his last tour to England and needing a left armer more than anything else.
Thus, not too unhappy about it at all , but would have preferred Irfan for balance reasons.

scorpio1990

Balance factor alone cannot be everything.Irfan played in IPL this year but was not fit enough to play any first class match?To me it shows what his priorities are.I remember him saying in an article that he has started swinging he bowl just like he used to do in the beginning of his career but how can one be sure of it if he is basing it just on his IPL performances where you get to bowl a MAXIMUM of 4 overs in a match