• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid back in ODI squad!!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Echo the thouhts of Smiley above. If we're going to get beaten in the ODIs, which we will, I'd rather have it by someone playing properly.

No Yusuf, then, is also good to see. Though without him or Yuvraj, where will the Indians get their customary 10 overs of filth from?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Echo the thouhts of Smiley above. If we're going to get beaten in the ODIs, which we will, I'd rather have it by someone playing properly.

No Yusuf, then, is also good to see. Though without him or Yuvraj, where will the Indians get their customary 10 overs of filth from?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

/obvious

Top nick, though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just such an unbalanced squad.. To answer Howe, I think the filth will be served up by Sachin, Sehwag and Raina.. Though I think whatever Sehwag bowls will be quite a lot better than filth. Heck, Bedi reckons he is the best off spinner in India.. :p

Why the hell would we pick Dravid now though? Could have so easily given a chance to Rahane or a second chance to Badri.. Our top 4 is already crammed now..

Sachin
Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Raina
Dhoni
Kohli/Rohit
4 bowlers..

Doesn't look like a side that can beat England, tbh..

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely disappointing move from the selectors. Someone like Uthappa or Yusuf Pathan would have been a far better option. Here is my full strength team out of the options given...

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Gautam Gambhir
4. Virat Kohli
5. Suresh Raina
6. Rohit Sharma
7. MS Dhoni (wk)
8. R Ashwin
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Praveen Kumar
11. Munaf Patel

No Ishant Sharma in ODIs, please!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
WTF?

Why go back to Dravid now? Bizzare to say the least.

It's not like the English ODI wickets are not flat or that the team was struggling in ODI's. Just give ****ing Rahane a chance or Badrinath another one in ODI's after snubbing him for tests or pick Mukund ffs!!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

For as good a Test batsman Dravid is he wasn't as good in the ODI's and his biggest problem like Kallis was pacing his innings in ODI's.

Atleast the ODI's offer a chance to give youngsters more experience and oppurtunities, which India has done with Succesful results too. Why go back to a 38 year old now after 2/3 years ?:wacko:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
1.Virender Sehwag
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Gautam Gambhir
4. Rahul Dravid
5. Virat Kohli
6. Suresh Raina
7. MS Dhoni (wk)
8. R Ashwin
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Praveen Kumar
11. Munaf Patel

middle order's full of accumulators............ no destructive guys

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
For as good a Test batsman Dravid is he wasn't as good in the ODI's and his biggest problem like Kallis was pacing his innings in ODI's.

Atleast the ODI's offer a chance to give youngsters more experience and oppurtunities, which India has done with Succesful results too. Why go back to a 38 year old now after 2/3 years ?:wacko:
maybe to get him to retire.......

farewell ODI series ?

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
1.Virender Sehwag
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Gautam Gambhir
4. Rahul Dravid
5. Virat Kohli
6. Suresh Raina
7. MS Dhoni (wk)
8. R Ashwin
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Praveen Kumar
11. Munaf Patel

middle order's full of accumulators............ no destructive guys
Raina and Dhoni can be pretty destructive.

Howe_zat

Audio File

Because he's just a ****ing brilliant batsman, and sometimes that's all there is to it. Dravid was part of the ODI setup for a long, long time and would probably get into an all-time Indian side in the middle order. Stick him in at 5 or 6 here, and I'd still envy you.

And while the pitches tend not to get as much bounce or seam here, there are still plenty of days where it's overcast and the ball swings at pace. Ask the Sri Lankans.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Because he's just a ****ing brilliant batsman, and sometimes that's all there is to it. Dravid was part of the ODI setup for a long, long time and would probably get into an all-time Indian side in the middle order. Stick him in at 5 or 6 here, and I'd still envy you.

And while the pitches tend not to get as much bounce or seam here, there are still plenty of days where it's overcast and the ball swings at pace. Ask the Sri Lankans.
He was always a brilliant test batsman, but i wouldn't put him as "Brilliant" in ODI's tbh.

You may have a point with regards to the ball seaming or swinging some times but have to get the youngsters used to it too and they have dealt with it well in the past in ODI's too.

I am fine with it, if it is a farewell ODI series for him before he retires from them but if it isn't ,then let's presume he does well here, then where the selectors go from there? England tour India after this series is over for a ODI series and Dravid just does not make the ODI team at full strength in most conditions any more. And so would then have to be dropped or kept in reserves, or more likely played for the sake of it. Plus he costs in fielding too in ODI's.

Last edited:

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Surprisingly!! No Yusuf!! We needed him in the absence of Yuvraj.Pretty weird decision IMO.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a decent move imo, the selectors were obviously looking to get some solidity in the top order to prevent collapses. They're under pressure now to not go back home empty handed so it's no time to try out younger players like Mukund or untested ones like Badrinath (who failed to impress in the one dayers in WI). Yusuf doesn't look to be a part of India's plans as well since he wasn't taken to West Indies IIRC.

As to whether Dravid will even play in the starting XI is not known yet, he may as well be a backup option. I'd go with this -

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Gautam Gambhir
4. Virat Kohli
5. Suresh Raina
6. Rohit Sharma
7. MS Dhoni (wk)
8. R Ashwin
9. Zaheer Khan
10. Praveen Kumar
11. Munaf Patel

If any of the batsmen get injured, then Dravid can take his spot. If one of the openers gets injured then Gambhir can open and Dravid can slot in at no.3.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If Dravid has been selected he'll play.Can't see them selecting him to be backup at all.

The selectors should seriously learn to differentiate the 2 formats tbh.

Last edited: