• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need help about some cricket rules

fahadimtiaz

Cricket Spectator
Hello
i want to know that if bowler is bowling spin and bowled 3 deliveries with short run up and off spin bowling...now he decides to bowl the remaining 3 deliveries with long run up and fast bowl.

weather he had to inform the umpire that now he is going to change the mode of delivery or he can bowl surprising the batsman? if he does not inform the umpire , what can umpire do ? can he give plenty or call that ball as a no ball?

please give me solid proof or some external links of cricket rules or some video or photo

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Yes Colin Miller did that often when playing for Australia, he had to tell the umpire he was changing from medium pace to spin etc.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hello
i want to know that if bowler is bowling spin and bowled 3 deliveries with short run up and off spin bowling...now he decides to bowl the remaining 3 deliveries with long run up and fast bowl.

weather he had to inform the umpire that now he is going to change the mode of delivery or he can bowl surprising the batsman? if he does not inform the umpire , what can umpire do ? can he give plenty or call that ball as a no ball?

please give me solid proof or some external links of cricket rules or some video or photo
As an umpire (albeit only at local/district level), I wouldn't have an issue with the bowler switching types mid-over without informing me - it is effectively the same as bowling any variation. Plus, the batsman wouldn't be overly surprised given the guy's gone back to a 30 yard run up between balls.

I'd only be calling no ball if he changed his style of bowling - i.e over/around the wicket, right/left arm - without informing me.

It is, however, courteous and 'in the spirit of the game' to inform the batsman of such a change. Hence why Miller would be informing the batsman and umpire at International level - it also gives the umpire in particular an easier job in watching for LBWs .etc

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not a rule as far as I know. The only time you have to inform the umpire is if you're changing which side of the wicket you're bowling from or changing the bowling hand.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
As an umpire (albeit only at local/district level), I wouldn't have an issue with the bowler switching types mid-over without informing me - it is effectively the same as bowling any variation. Plus, the batsman wouldn't be overly surprised given the guy's gone back to a 30 yard run up between balls.

I'd only be calling no ball if he changed his style of bowling - i.e over/around the wicket, right/left arm - without informing me.

It is, however, courteous and 'in the spirit of the game' to inform the batsman of such a change. Hence why Miller would be informing the batsman and umpire at International level - it also gives the umpire in particular an easier job in watching for LBWs .etc
That nails it I'd say.

Was it Eddie Hemmings who would abort his run-up and then suddenly bowl without going back to his normal run-up. Always uncomfortable with that - gamesmanship at best.

fahadimtiaz

Cricket Spectator
thanks for your help..

i would appreciate if someone post some CRICKET LAW links or some photo or video proof that this type of bowling is not a no ball

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
thanks for your help..

i would appreciate if someone post some CRICKET LAW links or some photo or video proof that this type of bowling is not a no ball
Having read through the laws cover-to-cover a couple of times (thrilling stuff, I know), I can tell you that this specific idea isn't included. However, the definition of no ball may help you.

Law 24 - No Ball (Got it wrong, I thought it was 18 for some reason)
1. Mode of Delivery
(a) The umpire shall ascertain whether the bowler intends to bowl right handed or left handed, over or round the wicket, and shall so inform the striker.
It is unfair if the bowler fails to notify the umpire of a change in his mode of delivery. In this case the umpire shall call and signal No ball.

Law 24 (No ball) - Laws - Laws of Cricket - Laws & Spirit - Lord's

fahadimtiaz

Cricket Spectator
Having read through the laws cover-to-cover a couple of times (thrilling stuff, I know), I can tell you that this specific idea isn't included. However, the definition of no ball may help you.

Law 24 - No Ball (Got it wrong, I thought it was 18 for some reason)
but here the mode of delivery means that the bowler must notify to the umpire that if he is bowling round the wicket or over the wicket...