• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Egotistical/ Self-Important XI

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Disagree on Atherton

Duncan Fletcher as coach. Anyone who's read his books will surely agree.
Indeed. Strikes one as the kind of chap who never lets anything go and hates being wrong about anything. His Guardian column seemed to be a thinly veiled excuse for score settling at times.

I'd bet he still thinks dropping Thorpe on the cusp of the 2005 Ashes was the right decision.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I'm not following the talk>walk mantra. There were many legends of the game who had a very self-centered view of things - almost an unhealthy obsession with oneself.

Too bad that my professional idol would make it to the team as well. :@ Can't help it!

1) Geoff Boycott
2) Sunil Gavaskar
3) Don Bradman
4) Brian Lara
5) Nawab "Tiger" Pataudi
6) Imran Khan (c)
7) Farokh Engineer (wk)
8) Richard Hadlee (my fingers are bleeding as I type)
9) Dennis Lillee
10) Fred Trueman
11) Bishen Singh Bedi

Heaven-ordained Coach: Dr. W.G.Grace

Edit: Come to think of it, that isn't the worst team on cricketing skills either.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
lol @ Imran Khan the captain of the side. If his 92 WC final speech is anything to go by he definitely deserves to be the captain of this team

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
A lot of competition for that wicketkeeping spot (or perhaps I'm thinking of the irritating ****er XI?). Adam Parore and Ian Healy top a competitive bunch of antipodean contenders.
Haddin and Healy - **** all to choose between them for ego maniacal tosspots.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Imran Khan is pretty egotistical. Never fails to mention that Wasim and Waqar became what they did because of his coaching and struggles to give unqualified compliments to any cricketer save a couple. But then, for someone as great as him, modesty is a pretty unnecessary virtue.

smash84

The Tiger King
lol....I read that comment on cricinfo some time back. Did you write it?

"Modesty is a virtue that Imran Khan never possessed but then, if you are that great, then modesty is a virtue you can do without"

I think the only one that he gives unqualified compliments to is Viv Richards. Here he talks about Viv with Viv on the show. It was a really great show I thought on CNN-IBN. Really lol'd at the part where a lot of the girls were wishing Imran Khan happy valentines day and the editor in chief (the guy who is hosting) talks about a time when Imran was in India and all the Bollywood actresses were there to meet him. He also said that he won't take names because Imran keeps denying it lol

Kings of Cricket: Imran Khan and Viv Richards, Videos: Cricketnext

Fusion

Global Moderator
Imran Khan is pretty egotistical. Never fails to mention that Wasim and Waqar became what they did because of his coaching and struggles to give unqualified compliments to any cricketer save a couple. But then, for someone as great as him, modesty is a pretty unnecessary virtue.
I think you're half right about Imran. IMO, Imran’s ego is limited to Pakistan Cricket. On that subject, Imran probably believes he is the be all and end all of everything. That doesn’t mean he’s not complimentary about Pakistani cricketers, rather that he thinks their immense skills had a lot to do with his influence. I think Imran is more than humble when it comes to non-Pakistani players though. He has often showered praise on the greats of Cricket like Viv Richards, Sobers, Gavaskar, Lillee, Holding just to name a few. Obviously, he wasn't able to credit himself for their success. :)

Jacknife

International Captain
I think you're half right about Imran. IMO, Imran’s ego is limited to Pakistan Cricket. On that subject, Imran probably believes he is the be all and end all of everything. That doesn’t mean he’s not complimentary about Pakistani cricketers, rather that he thinks their immense skills had a lot to do with his influence. I think Imran is more than humble when it comes to non-Pakistani players though. He has often showered praise on the greats of Cricket like Viv Richards, Sobers, Gavaskar, Lillee, Holding just to name a few. Obviously, he wasn't able to credit himself for their success. :)
Sounds very much like Botham in a lot of ways also.