• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Australia rebuild in time for the next Ashes series

Can Australia rebuild in time to win the 2013 Ashes series

• Yes

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 76.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nowhowsthat

Cricket Spectator
Looks like people are still calling for Andrew Hilditch's head and not happy with the way Australian cricket is heading at the moment:-

It's time to take the Australian team back

However, there are still 2 years to go before the next Ashes series. Australia have series against Sri Lanka, South Africa, India, and the West Indies coming up over the next 8 months. I think that if progress has not been made by the end of these 4 series (i.e. by April 2012), then Hilditch will probably have to go.

Hence, can Australia rebuild in time for 2013 to regain the Ashes?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting thread.

Probably not, in my opinion. Despite there being so many warning signs for so long, they seemingly took no notice of how things were going. Unless we see some dramatic improvement, primarily in the tightness of the batting techniques of the middle order, I think we'll really struggle.

All the angst is about the spin option, but really, I think the bigger drama is the batting, and the lack of consistency in the fast bowling ranks.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Thank christ we aren't playing England any time soon, they look damn good, especially the bowling attack. Cant imagine ANY team doing well against that attack, no wonder we got pummelled so badly. 4 quicks all bloody good and dangerous wicket takers, incredible. They could very easily bat Prior at 6 and have the 4 quicks plus Swann, that tail is the best tail I've ever seen.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sorry but this preoccupation with the Ashes is one of the problems with Australian cricket at the moment. Stop looking towards the distant future through speculation picks in the hope that they might eventually come good and instead focus on the near and now. We have an extremely tough year of test cricket ahead of us and I find it frankly ridiculous when speculation is raised in regards to a 2013 ashes team. Our focus should remain on each upcoming series, and on its completion, and only then, should we then look towards the next series after it.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm sorry but this preoccupation with the Ashes is one of the problems with Australian cricket at the moment. Stop looking towards the distant future through speculation picks in the hope that they might eventually come good and instead focus on the near and now. We have an extremely tough year of test cricket ahead of us and I find it frankly ridiculous when speculation is raised in regards to a 2013 ashes team. Our focus should remain on each upcoming series, and on its completion, and only then, should we then look towards the next series after it.
Winner.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It would take England to unlearn everything they've learned in the last few years that's lead to them being so consistent, and Australia doing the same with what's lead to them being so poor the last couple of years.

Won't happen...we can't even get rid of Hilditch. When you get the feeling it would take a few new players to come in that are capable of playing very good cricket despite what is happening with CA, the selectors, and the team, then hopes aren't real high.

howardj

International Coach
Agree with GT.

Not being obsessed with the Ashes, was a point I made in my much acclaimed Ashes aftermath paper. Surely Australian cricket is bigger than just the Ashes.

But, on the question of the thread, no I don't hold out much hope.

The lack of accountability in Australian cricket (to think that the only major figure who has paid the price of last Ashes summer was actually the 2nd best performed world batsman in the last three years, says everything) and the sheer defiance of those in the hierarchy (the worse they go, the more they get criticised, and the more they dig their heels in...and so the cycle goes) don't bode well.

And they are just the off-field reasons why things look grim!

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Even if we do drastically improve, and even given how much can happen two years down the track, it's exceptionally difficult right now to see England being beaten at home if they have have anything like the team they have right now. I mean, getting above #5 is definitely possible and achievable, but winning the England leg of the Ashes? Geez.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
excellent post. is the preoccupation with the ashes new? obviously it's the mega series for australian cricket, but, in the past (during the days of domination), every series was accorded a lot of importance even if the ashes was first among equals. now it seems that everything is geared almost solely towards the ashes....at least, that is what a cursory look at the australian media seems to suggest.

regarding the question of the thread, yes, australia can rebuild. but not enough to win against a very strong england team.

Last edited:

Spikey

hey if we start picking the best team or something even approaching that, who knows. but fat ****ing chance of that.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah they could field a pretty gun team by 2013. Englands is just likely to be a lot better though.

Ruckus

International Captain
It really depends on so many things...

-Will England be able to maintain this form? Or will they drop back a level?
-Will Ponting play on and be undergoing a Tendulkar-like rebirth?
-Will Clarke's impact as a batsmen wilt under the pressure of captaincy? Will his captaincy turn out to be lousy?
-Will the (likely) opening pairing of Watson and Hughes prove to be stable and successful?
-Will Khawaja, Lynn, Maddinson etc. and any other up-and-coming batsmen prove to be successful?
-Will Johnson finally find his range?
-Will Siddle, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus etc. have upped their game enough?
-Will Harris still be fit?
-Will Copeland, Cummins, Butterworth, Starc etc. any other up-and-coming fast bowlers prove to be much better than the incumbents listed above?
-Will we have found a stable spin option? Will Lyon and/or O'Keefe be successful? Will Hauritz/Smith/other have worked their way back into the side with improved performance?
-Will the selectors even give any of the deserved, new players a proper trial before 2013?
-And most importantly, will we be gelling as a team by then?

Spikey

btw Gerard Whateley is in ****ing top form lately. reckon we could get him to board here?

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I just want to see them show some fight under pressure in the next series let alone in two years time.

But with the thread subject, it seems to be too early for the Aussies to make a realistic competition of it. There appears to be a bit of a talent void at present, which is mixed with players with talent but with some dodgy temperaments. Plus our selectors' attitudes...

The next generation of players - and no-one knows exactly which ones will prove to be international quality - are too young as yet.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I'm slightly more interested (morbidly) to see just how many other spinners we've burned through by the time the next Ashes rolls around.

OT: Nah.

flibbertyjibber

Be nice if you improved to make it a great tight series like 05.

As it stands I think we'd blow you away at present but there is a long way to go till the next series and as GotSpin says you need to take it a series at a time first and build a team and gain some winning momentum.

Not sure the squad you selected for Sri Lanka will help much as i bet O'Keefe and Hauritz would do better than the spinners chosen. May need a total change in selectors before you manage to regroup as they seem to be repeating the same old mistakes.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As it stands I think we'd blow you away at present but there is a long way to go till the next series and as GotSpin says you need to take it a series at a time first and build a team and gain some winning momentum.
Given you blew us away about 8 months ago and not much has changed since then (apart from us dropping one of the few blokes who went ok against you). I'd say that'd be a pretty safe bet :happy:

flibbertyjibber

Given you blew us away about 8 months ago and not much has changed since then (apart from us dropping one of the few blokes who went ok against you). I'd say that'd be a pretty safe bet :happy:
Yeah but your batting won't always fail as often. You got good players there who were out of form at the same time.

Ruckus

International Captain
Dear god, were the Ashes 8 months ago? Crazy ****...