• Yes

6 23.08%
  • No

20 76.92%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Australia rebuild in time for the next Ashes series

Cricket Spectator

Can Australia rebuild in time for the next Ashes series

Looks like people are still calling for Andrew Hilditch's head and not happy with the way Australian cricket is heading at the moment:-

It's time to take the Australian team back

However, there are still 2 years to go before the next Ashes series. Australia have series against Sri Lanka, South Africa, India, and the West Indies coming up over the next 8 months. I think that if progress has not been made by the end of these 4 series (i.e. by April 2012), then Hilditch will probably have to go.

Hence, can Australia rebuild in time for 2013 to regain the Ashes?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Interesting thread.

Probably not, in my opinion. Despite there being so many warning signs for so long, they seemingly took no notice of how things were going. Unless we see some dramatic improvement, primarily in the tightness of the batting techniques of the middle order, I think we'll really struggle.

All the angst is about the spin option, but really, I think the bigger drama is the batting, and the lack of consistency in the fast bowling ranks.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Thank christ we aren't playing England any time soon, they look damn good, especially the bowling attack. Cant imagine ANY team doing well against that attack, no wonder we got pummelled so badly. 4 quicks all bloody good and dangerous wicket takers, incredible. They could very easily bat Prior at 6 and have the 4 quicks plus Swann, that tail is the best tail I've ever seen.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    I'm sorry but this preoccupation with the Ashes is one of the problems with Australian cricket at the moment. Stop looking towards the distant future through speculation picks in the hope that they might eventually come good and instead focus on the near and now. We have an extremely tough year of test cricket ahead of us and I find it frankly ridiculous when speculation is raised in regards to a 2013 ashes team. Our focus should remain on each upcoming series, and on its completion, and only then, should we then look towards the next series after it.
    Last edited by GotSpin; 01-08-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    I'm sorry but this preoccupation with the Ashes is one of the problems with Australian cricket at the moment. Stop looking towards the distant future through speculation picks in the hope that they might eventually come good and instead focus on the near and now. We have an extremely tough year of test cricket ahead of us and I find it frankly ridiculous when speculation is raised in regards to a 2013 ashes team. Our focus should remain on each upcoming series, and on its completion, and only then, should we then look towards the next series after it.
    Winner.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    It would take England to unlearn everything they've learned in the last few years that's lead to them being so consistent, and Australia doing the same with what's lead to them being so poor the last couple of years.

Won't happen...we can't even get rid of Hilditch. When you get the feeling it would take a few new players to come in that are capable of playing very good cricket despite what is happening with CA, the selectors, and the team, then hopes aren't real high.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Agree with GT.

Not being obsessed with the Ashes, was a point I made in my much acclaimed Ashes aftermath paper. Surely Australian cricket is bigger than just the Ashes.

But, on the question of the thread, no I don't hold out much hope.

The lack of accountability in Australian cricket (to think that the only major figure who has paid the price of last Ashes summer was actually the 2nd best performed world batsman in the last three years, says everything) and the sheer defiance of those in the hierarchy (the worse they go, the more they get criticised, and the more they dig their heels in...and so the cycle goes) don't bode well.

And they are just the off-field reasons why things look grim!
    Last edited by howardj; 02-08-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Even if we do drastically improve, and even given how much can happen two years down the track, it's exceptionally difficult right now to see England being beaten at home if they have have anything like the team they have right now. I mean, getting above #5 is definitely possible and achievable, but winning the England leg of the Ashes? Geez.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    excellent post. is the preoccupation with the ashes new? obviously it's the mega series for australian cricket, but, in the past (during the days of domination), every series was accorded a lot of importance even if the ashes was first among equals. now it seems that everything is geared almost solely towards the ashes....at least, that is what a cursory look at the australian media seems to suggest.

regarding the question of the thread, yes, australia can rebuild. but not enough to win against a very strong england team.
    Last edited by hang on; 02-08-2011 at 01:19 AM.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    hey if we start picking the best team or something even approaching that, who knows. but fat ****ing chance of that.
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Yeah they could field a pretty gun team by 2013. Englands is just likely to be a lot better though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

It really depends on so many things...

-Will England be able to maintain this form? Or will they drop back a level?
    -Will Ponting play on and be undergoing a Tendulkar-like rebirth?
    -Will Clarke's impact as a batsmen wilt under the pressure of captaincy? Will his captaincy turn out to be lousy?
    -Will the (likely) opening pairing of Watson and Hughes prove to be stable and successful?
    -Will Khawaja, Lynn, Maddinson etc. and any other up-and-coming batsmen prove to be successful?
    -Will Johnson finally find his range?
    -Will Siddle, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus etc. have upped their game enough?
    -Will Harris still be fit?
    -Will Copeland, Cummins, Butterworth, Starc etc. any other up-and-coming fast bowlers prove to be much better than the incumbents listed above?
    -Will we have found a stable spin option? Will Lyon and/or O'Keefe be successful? Will Hauritz/Smith/other have worked their way back into the side with improved performance?
    -Will the selectors even give any of the deserved, new players a proper trial before 2013?
    -And most importantly, will we be gelling as a team by then?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    btw Gerard Whateley is in ****ing top form lately. reckon we could get him to board here?

U19 Vice-Captain
    I just want to see them show some fight under pressure in the next series let alone in two years time.

But with the thread subject, it seems to be too early for the Aussies to make a realistic competition of it. There appears to be a bit of a talent void at present, which is mixed with players with talent but with some dodgy temperaments. Plus our selectors' attitudes...

The next generation of players - and no-one knows exactly which ones will prove to be international quality - are too young as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    btw Gerard Whateley is in ****ing top form lately. reckon we could get him to board here?
    Would be legendary if we could.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information