• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Australia rebuild in time for the next Ashes series

Can Australia rebuild in time to win the 2013 Ashes series

• Yes

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 76.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but your batting won't always fail as often. You got good players there who were out of form at the same time.
It will against a consistent attack who can bowl to a plan (and on one side of the wicket)...almost anyone's batting line-up will. When you then turn around and throw up (in every sense of the phrase) an inconsistent attack against a decent batting order you'll get flogged 9 times out of 10.

Kumar has shown that it's possible to get rid of England's top order if you bowl in the right spots, but sadly for him he has no support...we did that once in 5 tests and got flogged in the rest. England's batting line-up is good, but I think they're bowling unit has become incredibly impressive over the recent year. Anderson used to be so inconsistent (lets face it, he had a heart the size of a pea when bowling in unfriendly conditions) but now he's very good. The rest of the pace attack has also come along very nicely.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah but your batting won't always fail as often. You got good players there who were out of form at the same time.
It will against a consistent attack who can bowl to a plan (and on one side of the wicket)...almost anyone's batting line-up will. When you then turn around and throw up (in every sense of the phrase) an inconsistent attack against a decent batting order you'll get flogged 9 times out of 10.

Kumar has shown that it's possible to get rid of England's top order if you bowl in the right spots, but sadly for him he has no support...we did that once in 5 tests and got flogged in the rest. England's batting line-up is good, but I think they're bowling unit has become incredibly impressive over the recent year. Anderson used to be so inconsistent (lets face it, he had a heart the size of a pea when bowling in unfriendly conditions) but now he's very good. The rest of the pace attack has also come along very nicely.
England and Australia, united in mutual respect and admiration.

*kills self*

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England and Australia, untied in mutual respect and admiration.

*kills self*
:laugh:

As a former bowler I always enjoy watching players who can bowl consistently well, even if ours are ****ing hopeless at the moment. I have only grudging respect for the English batting line-up and still think Bell's a **** though...so you can come down off the ledge :happy:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Even if we do drastically improve, and even given how much can happen two years down the track, it's exceptionally difficult right now to see England being beaten at home if they have have anything like the team they have right now. I mean, getting above #5 is definitely possible and achievable, but winning the England leg of the Ashes? Geez.
Do you know how many years I have waited to read a post like that? As an England fan, this post make me weep with joy. How things (slowly) change.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Very insane for an Aussie to be thinking we have realistic chance of beating ENGLAND in the next few years. May as well cut my wrists.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Very insane for an Aussie to be thinking we have realistic chance of beating ENGLAND in the next few years. May as well cut my wrists.
I actually don't think its completely outrageous. Things are going pretty horribly for us at the moment but the 2013 series is still a fair way off. Like I mentioned before, I'm more worried about the three upcoming test series that are all being played against teams ranked higher than us.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
This defeatist attitude is pretty un-aussie like guys. I think the team needs to get tough again. They need a Tony Greig or Border type figure to take over and go 'we will make them bleed'.

Ruckus

International Captain
Think we should bring Hastings in and make him captain for the sole fact that he looks like he wants to crush some skulls:

TumTum

Banned
It's still long way away and anything can change. Youngsters like Khawaja, Hughes, Hazlewood, Starc, Pattinson, Smith (just kidding :p) can become world beaters by then.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's still long way away and anything can change. Youngsters like Khawaja, Hughes, Hazlewood, Starc, Pattinson, Smith (just kidding :p) can become world beaters by then.
Quite easily.

Who'd have said 2 years ago that Trott, Tremlett, Bresnan and Finn would have given England such depth and Bell would have matured into almost the complete player?

TumTum

Banned
Quite easily.

Who'd have said 2 years ago that Trott, Tremlett, Bresnan and Finn would have given England such depth and Bell would have matured into almost the complete player?
Cook is the best example. From second worst opener (McIntosh being worst) to arguably the worlds best in just 1 year :laugh:

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Quite easily.

The difference with players such as the guys you listed and the aussie youngsters is that england managed to get loads more first class games / test experience pumped into them which fast tracked their development. Bresnan and Finn had a lot more games pumped into them two years ago than Hazlewood, Starc and Pattinson have now.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The difference with players such as the guys you listed and the aussie youngsters is that england managed to get loads more first class games / test experience pumped into them which fast tracked their development. Bresnan and Finn had a lot more games pumped into them two years ago than Hazlewood, Starc and Pattinson have now.
We really need more first class games. Most guys are playing less than 10 a season. Just not enough

smash84

The Tiger King
Swann, that tail is the best tail I've ever seen.
This is a BIG statement since you have seen a LOT of cricket (quite literally).

And NO Australia won't be improving any time soon with the likes of Steve Smith and Nathan Hauritz