• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Bresnan

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's his point- when Swann has a bad day, England are in big trouble.
Swann had a bad day here at TB, didn't really stop us did it and to be fair to Swann you can basically count the bad days on one hand in the last couple of years so he deserves to be let off this one.

When the bad days outnumber the good ones like Harby is the time to start worrying.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That's his point- when Swann has a bad day, England are in big trouble.
My mistake - now I'm with you. The question, of course, is whether that was symptomatic of how Swann will go against India, or simply having a bad day, not being helped by his injury and bowling to Dravid well on the way to 100.

Spark

Global Moderator
Swann had a bad day here at TB, didn't really stop us did it and to be fair to Swann you can basically count the bad days on one hand in the last couple of years so he deserves to be let off this one.

When the bad days outnumber the good ones like Harby is the time to start worrying.
It's not every day someone takes five wickets without conceding a run in two and a bit overs. Anyway, this kind of emphasises my point - the balance Swann brings to the attack is critical, and without it this attack would not function nearly as well.

centurymaker

International Captain
It's not every day someone takes five wickets without conceding a run in two and a bit overs. Anyway, this kind of emphasises my point - the balance Swann brings to the attack is critical, and without it this attack would not function nearly as well.
Yeah
Just look at what happened to india without harbhajan (bowling wise) or with out-of-form harbhajan.

tooextracool

International Coach
The idea of dropping Swann just isn't really a good one in my mind. I'm not sure why we need to add an extra fast bowler when 3 of them have been enough for India thus far this series. I think I'd be seriously worried if Edgbaston turns out to be a flat pitch or takes turn and our quicks have to share 150 overs between themselves.

As far as Swann's bowling performance is concerned, hes bowled visibly worse than usual this series. His performance at TB was about as atrocious as the one from Cardiff in 2009 where he kept inexplicably dropping short . Every bowler has a bad day though, and I think people are jumping the gun if they are suggesting that he is going to be hopeless against the Indians throughout the series.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I'd be more worried if Swann was bowling well and going around the park. He bowled well in a spell at Lord's and created chances so if he gets back on song it should be sweet.

Jacknife

International Captain
The idea of dropping Swann just isn't really a good one in my mind. I'm not sure why we need to add an extra fast bowler when 3 of them have been enough for India thus far this series. I think I'd be seriously worried if Edgbaston turns out to be a flat pitch or takes turn and our quicks have to share 150 overs between themselves.

As far as Swann's bowling performance is concerned, hes bowled visibly worse than usual this series. His performance at TB was about as atrocious as the one from Cardiff in 2009 where he kept inexplicably dropping short . Every bowler has a bad day though, and I think people are jumping the gun if they are suggesting that he is going to be hopeless against the Indians throughout the series.
Completely agree, it really has been a bit of a one off poor performance for him and considering the man spent a few hour in hospital and has a big bandage thing on his hand, we can give him a break.
I thought he did as much as any would have wanted and expected off him at Lords , he bowled 41 overs for only 114 runs and got two wickets, which wasn't bad at all on the Lords pitch.
It would be nice if the Edgbaston pitch offered something for the spinners and deteriorated a bit because apart form the odd occasion there really hasn't been anything in it this summer for them. Even on those days where the pitch offers nothing, he has bowled well and has enabled England to use the seamers as they wish.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

As far as Swann's bowling performance is concerned, hes bowled visibly worse than usual this series. His performance at TB was about as atrocious as the one from Cardiff in 2009 where he kept inexplicably dropping short. Every bowler has a bad day though, and I think people are jumping the gun if they are suggesting that he is going to be hopeless against the Indians throughout the series.
He actually kept inexplicably bowling too full at Cardiff in '09.

I thought he was decent at Lord's, tied up an end and took a big wicket in both innings. Beyond atrocious at TB but his injury could well have had something to do with that.

If he isn't fit I really, really hope they go with Samit Patel and four seamers and not Panesar, but I wouldn't be thinking about leaving him out for a second at Edgbaston.

Spark

Global Moderator

Yeah I'd agree with this (TB was more in the Brisbane vein though - just worse).