Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Shastri Vs Hussain, Shastri has lost it

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    A lack of Test match experience, funnily enough, doesn't impact on someone's ability to report and opine on the game.
    Don't agree at all, tbh.

Had you said "one could be a good commentator even without having test match experience" that would have been a completely different argument, and I would have agreed.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Some of the finest cricket writers have never played the game (professionally at least). Same for any sport.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Bun
    Banned
    Big deal..

most indian commentators cater to an audience who's knowledge of english is purely working at best... (your's truly included)

As long as they don't embarass with utterly dire usages (that's a fantastic cover drive through the covers!) they should just be fine.

That said Ganguly is fast becoming my fav

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars

Some of the finest cricket writers have never played the game (professionally at least). Same for any sport.
    Indeed. Some of the commentators for ABC cricket haven't played professionally and I think they have one of the best commentary teams for any sport
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    Indeed. Some of the commentators for ABC cricket haven't played professionally and I think they have one of the best commentary teams for any sport
    ABC Grandstand is magnificent. Even otherwise prize pricks like Roebuck manage to be intelligent, articulate and perceptive through the airwaves.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar

I never argued either way.. It was just a response to that guy saying they have to take standardized tests, which was just as ludicurous as asking others to face up to international cricketers.. I never said I want either to happen.. That was just responding to a **** suggestion with another **** suggestion, tryin to imply his suggestion was as bad as mine..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

First time I've seen that footage. Nasser is a class act.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    ABC Grandstand is magnificent. Even otherwise prize pricks like Roebuck manage to be intelligent, articulate and perceptive through the airwaves.
    I can't stand his writing but Roebuck is awesome on ABC

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    I can't stand his writing but Roebuck is awesome on ABC
    Yeah, the contrast between his written work and his radio work is staggering.

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I never argued either way.. It was just a response to that guy saying they have to take standardized tests, which was just as ludicurous as asking others to face up to international cricketers.. I never said I want either to happen.. That was just responding to a **** suggestion with another **** suggestion, tryin to imply his suggestion was as bad as mine..
    Why are you guys so opposed to having standardised tests?

I don't really see the problem, friend. A former player who has very good views on the game can significantly improve his articulation skills without much ado. A lot of students (from vernacular education mediums) manage to do it in a couple of months, for instance. Besides, it'd keep professional commentators on their toes and no one (like Ranjot Fernando, possibly) can take their position for granted. Pressure of performance keeps people honest, I reckon.

Don't you guys want the quality of commentary to improve? Wouldn't it be good to attract greater interest to the game if we strive for higher standards?

This is more a general question than specifically aimed at HB. I'd love to listen from people opposing standardised tests as to what their line of reasoning is.
    Last edited by Outswinger@Pace; 11-08-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post

Don't you guys want the quality of commentary to improve? Wouldn't it be good to attract greater interest to the game if we strive for higher standards?
    I think there is a big difference in being grammatically correct or having good problem solving or verbal reasoning skills and being a good and entertaining commentator.

Besides do you know what the verbal part in the GMAT tests?

Standardized testing might improve the quality of the language deployed not necessarily the content and therein lies the problem with your statement I believe.

Besides it has become somewhat easy to crack these standardized tests (thanks to the Chinese ..) so maybe it is not such a great idea after all.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

TBF it was hardly really an "owning" but Nasser certainly did well to call Shastri to account, even in the face of Shastri trying to worm his way out of it ("well I wasn't referring to you" - nah, Ravi, course you weren't).

And a big fat lol (and I suppose a short wiry Lol) at his pronouncement that England have never been number 1 in Tests.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I must admit that all I've been able to do throughout the last few weeks is rage jealously at India's vast cricketing riches

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I must admit that all I've been able to do throughout the last few weeks is rage jealously at India's vast cricketing riches
    haha........Shastri has tons of egg on his face now

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    TBF it was hardly really an "owning" but Nasser certainly did well to call Shastri to account, even in the face of Shastri trying to worm his way out of it ("well I wasn't referring to you" - nah, Ravi, course you weren't).

And a big fat lol (and I suppose a short wiry Lol) at his pronouncement that England have never been number 1 in Tests.
    It was a pwnage IMHO...and well deserved, Shastri has always been a slimy, precious, arrogant one-eyed git with a personal agenda

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information