• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shastri Vs Hussain, Shastri has lost it

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
don't think akram's english is that bad tbh and he has improved it too. He is certainly no waqar younis in terms of english by any means.

Enjoy his knowledge about swing, reverse swing and bowling in general .
+1

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why do you think so? These tests aren't that difficult, mate! Many 17 and 18 year old students take them when they apply to a US, UK or Aus based university. TOEFL is actually quite simple and any reasonable (non-native) English speaker should be able to get a decent score. And I'm pretty sure a Bhogle, a Shastri or a Fazeer Mohd. should be able to score well on a GMAT or a SAT as well.

I do not call for very high standards, but a basic level must be there. Since the game is getting more professional overall, why not endeavour to walk that extra mile towards ensuring better comm. standards too?
lol.. Then how about asking the various columnists/presenters who have not played any international cricket face the music from a couple of international team bowling line ups and batting line ups? If the ex players have to prove their language skills, these guys gotta prove their cricketing skills right?

*waits for Bhogle facing up to Dale Steyn* :laugh:

smash84

The Tiger King
don't think akram's english is that bad tbh and he has improved it too. He is certainly no waqar younis in terms of english by any means.

Enjoy his knowledge about swing, reverse swing and bowling in general .
+1

lol.. Then how about asking the various columnists/presenters who have not played any international cricket face the music from a couple of international team bowling line ups and batting line ups? If the ex players have to prove their language skills, these guys gotta prove their cricketing skills right?

*waits for bhogle facing up to dale steyn* :laugh:
+1

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

Absolutely agreed.

I'll never complain about a cricket commentator's English language (as long as they speak better English than Inzamam-ul Haq, that is :laugh: ). Wasim Akram's English isn't top notch, but that doesn't mean I like listening to Harsha Bhogle more than him.

...or even David Lloyd (sorry Bumble fans)...

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

What a ridiculous argument. Absolutely ludicrous.

Language ability has a direct impact on commentary, believe it or not.

A lack of Test match experience, funnily enough, doesn't impact on someone's ability to report and opine on the game.

FTR I'm not suggesting I agree that commentators should be qualified but your argument is deeply flawed.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
A lack of Test match experience, funnily enough, doesn't impact on someone's ability to report and opine on the game.
Don't agree at all, tbh.

Had you said "one could be a good commentator even without having test match experience" that would have been a completely different argument, and I would have agreed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:huh:

Some of the finest cricket writers have never played the game (professionally at least). Same for any sport.

Bun

Banned
Big deal..

most indian commentators cater to an audience who's knowledge of english is purely working at best... (your's truly included)

As long as they don't embarass with utterly dire usages (that's a fantastic cover drive through the covers!) they should just be fine.

That said Ganguly is fast becoming my fav

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Some of the finest cricket writers have never played the game (professionally at least). Same for any sport.
Indeed. Some of the commentators for ABC cricket haven't played professionally and I think they have one of the best commentary teams for any sport

Spark

Global Moderator
Indeed. Some of the commentators for ABC cricket haven't played professionally and I think they have one of the best commentary teams for any sport
ABC Grandstand is magnificent. Even otherwise prize pricks like Roebuck manage to be intelligent, articulate and perceptive through the airwaves.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I never argued either way.. It was just a response to that guy saying they have to take standardized tests, which was just as ludicurous as asking others to face up to international cricketers.. I never said I want either to happen.. That was just responding to a **** suggestion with another **** suggestion, tryin to imply his suggestion was as bad as mine..

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I never argued either way.. It was just a response to that guy saying they have to take standardized tests, which was just as ludicurous as asking others to face up to international cricketers.. I never said I want either to happen.. That was just responding to a **** suggestion with another **** suggestion, tryin to imply his suggestion was as bad as mine..
Why are you guys so opposed to having standardised tests?

I don't really see the problem, friend. A former player who has very good views on the game can significantly improve his articulation skills without much ado. A lot of students (from vernacular education mediums) manage to do it in a couple of months, for instance. Besides, it'd keep professional commentators on their toes and no one (like Ranjot Fernando, possibly) can take their position for granted. Pressure of performance keeps people honest, I reckon.

Don't you guys want the quality of commentary to improve? Wouldn't it be good to attract greater interest to the game if we strive for higher standards?

This is more a general question than specifically aimed at HB. I'd love to listen from people opposing standardised tests as to what their line of reasoning is.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Don't you guys want the quality of commentary to improve? Wouldn't it be good to attract greater interest to the game if we strive for higher standards?
I think there is a big difference in being grammatically correct or having good problem solving or verbal reasoning skills and being a good and entertaining commentator.

Besides do you know what the verbal part in the GMAT tests?

Standardized testing might improve the quality of the language deployed not necessarily the content and therein lies the problem with your statement I believe.

Besides it has become somewhat easy to crack these standardized tests (thanks to the Chinese :)..) so maybe it is not such a great idea after all.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
TBF it was hardly really an "owning" but Nasser certainly did well to call Shastri to account, even in the face of Shastri trying to worm his way out of it ("well I wasn't referring to you" - nah, Ravi, course you weren't).

And a big fat lol (and I suppose a short wiry Lol) at his pronouncement that England have never been number 1 in Tests.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I must admit that all I've been able to do throughout the last few weeks is rage jealously at India's vast cricketing riches :ph34r:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF it was hardly really an "owning" but Nasser certainly did well to call Shastri to account, even in the face of Shastri trying to worm his way out of it ("well I wasn't referring to you" - nah, Ravi, course you weren't).

And a big fat lol (and I suppose a short wiry Lol) at his pronouncement that England have never been number 1 in Tests.
It was a pwnage IMHO...and well deserved, Shastri has always been a slimy, precious, arrogant one-eyed git with a personal agenda