• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shastri Vs Hussain, Shastri has lost it

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Boycott was actually smug since the beginning. Sidhu was good for entertainment value if not anything else. Those sidhuisms and always funny and his arguments with Boycott were epic.

Gavaskar and Wilkins were the voice of reason between those 2:laugh:
At least Boycs was a good enough player to be smug in the box.. Sidhu was juz drivel. His Sidhuisms are taken from a book and last IPL, during extra innings, they forgot to cut away to the ground and he was quickly taking the book from underneath his butt (he was sitting on the book apparently) to verify the next few Sidhuisms..

He seemed to be talking out of his arse, literally.. :dry:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
really? he borrowed all of them from some book?
Yep.. Alan Wilkins once mentioned it back when Sidhu was with ESPN Star... Superselector show I think and they were talking about Sidhuisms and he said "I know how Sherry gets them. He has a book" And the recent IPL Set Max blunder showed it up.. They hardly finished before he was opening his book.. He is just a loser...

EDIT: Don't think it was all from the same book though.. And I reckon he might switch the odd goose to a hen or something more to the tune of an average Indian.. But that's about it..

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
Yep.. Alan Wilkins once mentioned it back when Sidhu was with ESPN Star... Superselector show I think and they were talking about Sidhuisms and he said "I know how Sherry gets them. He has a book" And the recent IPL Set Max blunder showed it up.. They hardly finished before he was opening his book.. He is just a loser...

EDIT: Don't think it was all from the same book though.. And I reckon he might switch the odd goose to a hen or something more to the tune of an average Indian.. But that's about it..
Didn't Sidhu get fired once for calling Wilkins names on air or something?? :laugh: chap's a stupid nut tbh.

smash84

The Tiger King

Hmmm........after this latest news I have downgraded Sidhu's rating in my book from BBB- to CCC-

angad

U19 12th Man
I have both Sky and Star, so far my ratings -

Good - David Gower, David Llyod, Ganguly (Cool Guys no agenda no over analyzing)
Average - Hussain, Manjrekar, Warne, Akram (Tolerable)
Bad - Harsha, Wilkins, Boycott, Atherton, Holding (Borderline personality disorder)
Ugly - Gavaskar, Shastri
Atrocious - Botham

Jacknife

International Captain
The best commentators imo are Nasser, Atherton and Bumble.
The worst are Gavaskar, Shastri ,Bogle, Wilkins, Manjrekar, Chappell ,Tony Greig, Michael Slater.
The rest are somewhere inbetween.

smash84

The Tiger King

Good - David Gower, David Llyod, Ganguly (Cool Guys no agenda no over analyzing)
Bad - Harsha, Wilkins, Boycott, Atherton, Holding (Borderline personality disorder)
Ugly - Gavaskar, Shastri
Atrocious - Botham
Interesting. I really really like Boycott. Wouldn't put him in the bad ones with Holding and Harsha tbh

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man

Early days.

With all due respect to the player he was, the man's English isn't good enough to be a commentator. I am nowhere close to a Milton or Shakespeare myself, but someone doing a professional comm. stint is expected to have a better command over the language.

As an aside, maybe all international commentators must be required to take a GMAT, SAT (verbal) or a TOEFL test to prove a certain degree of proficiency in English. I don't see the reason why former players should be exempted if they intend to make a living doing commentary.

Why, o why?

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Why do some of you guys hate Alan Wilkins so much? Seems to be a mild-mannered affable chap with decent views on the game. Never came across as an annoyance like Botham, Gavaskar, Slater or Shastri.

smash84

The Tiger King
Early days.

With all due respect to the player he was, the man's English isn't good enough to be a commentator. I am nowhere close to a Milton or Shakespeare myself, but someone doing a professional comm. stint is expected to have a better command over the language.

As an aside, maybe all international commentators must be required to take a GMAT, SAT (verbal) or a TOEFL test to prove a certain degree of proficiency in English. I don't see the reason why former players should be exempted if they intend to make a living doing commentary.

Why, o why?
I am all for having good English for commentators but asking them to take standardized tests like GMAT, GRE, or TOEFL is quite ludicrous IMO. A detailed interview with people like Akram should easily reveal that his English is not that good but asking them to take standardized tests is going overboard IMO

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I am all for having good English for commentators but asking them to take standardized tests like GMAT, GRE, or TOEFL is quite ludicrous IMO. A detailed interview with people like Akram should easily reveal that his English is not that good but asking them to take standardized tests is going overboard IMO
Why do you think so? These tests aren't that difficult, mate! Many 17 and 18 year old students take them when they apply to a US, UK or Aus based university. TOEFL is actually quite simple and any reasonable (non-native) English speaker should be able to get a decent score. And I'm pretty sure a Bhogle, a Shastri or a Fazeer Mohd. should be able to score well on a GMAT or a SAT as well.

I do not call for very high standards, but a basic level must be there. Since the game is getting more professional overall, why not endeavour to walk that extra mile towards ensuring better comm. standards too?

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think Akram's english is that bad tbh and he has improved it too. He is certainly no Waqar Younis in terms of English by any means.

Enjoy his knowledge about Swing, Reverse Swing and bowling in general .