• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shastri Vs Hussain, Shastri has lost it

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I never liked Shastri. He is extremely obnoxious and loud. Gevasker may be a little more subtle than Shastri but he is full of hate. However my least favourite is Ramiz, and that's because he always has to repeat the same lines that he has rehearsed before play has commenced.

I find Ganguly a good commentator and enjoy Wasim's insight on bowling. Sanjay is also decent except that his voice becomes whiny when India start to perform badly.

smash84

The Tiger King
I request ESPNSTAR to get Shastri and Gavaskar cheerleader skirts next time they put them in to the comm box maybe SKYc an do the same for Botham. Harsha has also became quite average since he has started to be delibratley funny he should have continued to play the resident nerd role.
haha.....indeed

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Gavaskar and Shastri are intolerable. You can tell that Boycott doesn't relish having to spend time in the commentary box with Gavaskar anymore. Harsha's novelty has worn off. It doesn't help that he's been forced to tag along with Gavaskar and Shastri. If he's sat with a different set of commentators, he's actually quite refreshing and decent for a change. You can then sense his relief at not having to play second fiddle all the time.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't like Boycott much these days either tbh. He always wants to be the centre of attention.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Mirror are reporting that the BCCI employ Gavaskar and Shastri to spout the BCCI's opinions. Refer to it as an "open secret". Hum.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Shastri is still connected with the BCCI and is on the IPL governing council.

Gavaskar actually did not continue in the IPL governing council as a unpaid member and even threatened to sue them over non - payments and has been upset with the BCCI ever since. Has openly criticised them on occasions too.

smash84

The Tiger King
lol @ Shastri's jealous comments though.......the BCCI must have handed over a big fat cheque to shastri for mouthing that stuff :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha indeed.............

Was more talking about his commentating days. And also in his earlier days with ESPNSTAR he had a certain Navjot Singh Sidhu vying for attention.

Sidhu is just gutter.. Boycs so so much better.. Yeah, he seems to be pretty smug about England at the moment but that is nothing compared to what Sidhu was.. I really don't think either of these 3 are that bad... Not as bad as Sidhu for sure.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Boycott was actually smug since the beginning. Sidhu was good for entertainment value if not anything else. Those sidhuisms and always funny and his arguments with Boycott were epic.

Gavaskar and Wilkins were the voice of reason between those 2:laugh:

Bouncer

State Regular
I dont know how legit is this newspaper that is reporting this, but it a cover story on mumbai-mirror. This might explain why shastri commented the way he commented on Nasir and why generally Sunil, Ravi and Harsha seem to express the opinions they make while doing the commentary.

But to put things in prospective, this amount is 804,828.98 USD a Year which turns out to be 2200 USD per Day :@.....with that kind of amount, who wouldnt wana do the kind of job that they are doing, specially when in your playing days you were bullied by other teams and expected to turn the other cheek around.

For the BCCI, the outlook is always 8-)Sunny 8-)
Kunal Pradhan and Deepak Narayanan

Indian cricket’s most respected voices, Gavaskar and Shastri, are paid Rs 3.6 crores each annually by the Board to ensure they toe the official line

Last week, two ESPN-Star commentators Nasser Hussain and Ravi Shastri got into a verbal spat which was heard by millions around the world. When Shastri, opposing the contentious UDRS, attacked the former England captain, an exasperated Hussain finally said that he was paid by the channel to HAVE an opinion.

What remained unspoken was the cricket establishment's biggest open secret that Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri are hirelings of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) who toe their official line. When they speak you are likely to get, not independent opinion, but what the BCCI wants you to hear.

It can now be revealed that the two respected opinion makers have been contracted by the BCCI for an annual fee of Rs 3.6 crore each to spread the Board's gospel - on issues such as UDRS, IPL, or umpiring decisions that may be adverse to Indian interests. "They cannot say anything that goes against the policy or interests of the Board," said a senior BCCI member.

This newspaper can also reveal that the BCCI contract stipulates that any channel which is telecasting an international match on Indian soil will hire these two men on their commentary team.

A similar contract, for a lesser fee, had been signed with Harsha Bhogle too but was subsequently cancelled because then IPL commissioner Lalit Modi had not taken permission from the IPL Governing Council.

"Yes, both Shastri and Gavaskar are employed with the Board as commentators," a top BCCI official confirmed to Mumbai Mirror. "This pertains to all BCCI-owned cricket - international matches held in India, the IPL, and the Champions League. We tell the TV companies that they have to take them on board as our official commentators," he added.

Reacting to the revelation, respected media commentator Santosh Desai said: "There is no business for such people to be in the commentary box. But the scenario is hardly surprising considering the BCCI works like a banana republic for which conflict of interest has never been an issue; in fact it actively creates them. I see this as a larger nexus between the Board, the commentators, and the TV broadcasters. The onus has to be on individuals, especially if they are iconic sportsmen, to set an example and not become a part of this co-option for personal gain."

Other commentators that this newspaper spoke to expressed unease at the arrangement but refused to speak on-record for fear of creating animosity in their small, privileged pool. However one of them revealed that he makes it a point to mention in his CV that he’s not contracted by the BCCI, and therefore brings with him an "unbiased" and "honest" opinion.

When contacted, both Gavaskar and Shastri accepted they were centrally contracted by the Board, but did not see this either as a conflict of interest, or as something that hampered them from freely airing their views.
"In fact it helps me," Shastri told Mumbai Mirror, "because now I get to see both sides of the coin before saying something. It’s left for the viewers to judge whether I am biased or shackled, and the viewer is no fool."

Shastri said he had his own personal views on DRS, which "just happened to be the same as the BCCI’s", and that he believes Ian Bell should not have been recalled by Dhoni during the Trent Bridge Test match. "You have to see my body of work over 20 years. It doesn’t matter who pays me. I have strong views on cricket which I express freely. If others are offered Board contracts, they should sign up as well," he said.

Gavaskar, meanwhile, said that the BCCI had taken over a contract he had with World Sports Group following their public differences over IPL rights. "But I don’t think there is an issue at all. I always speak my mind, and I’m always honest on air. I am not under instructions from anyone that I shouldn’t talk about this or talk about this," he said.

When asked how he reacted to criticism that it he was so pro-BCCI and India that he lacked objectivity, Gavaskar said: "I don’t react for the simple reason that everybody’s entitled to their view. I’m quite happy to receive criticism that is constructive and am happy to improve. I would love to be Richie Benaud, but I know I can’t be. I don’t toe the BCCI line. Maybe I don’t sound as critical as I did 20 years ago, but I think that is an age thing. The words you use when you are younger are different from the words you use when you get older."

When asked specifically about a conflict of interest, Gavaskar said: "Every person who does a job faces some conflict of interest or the other. There are many people who work for employers whose practices they may not agree with but they don’t quit their jobs because of that. Anyway, I don’t really think about it as a conflict of interest because every time I comment, I am being completely honest.” :)

For the BCCI the outlook is always Sunny - Mumbai Mirror

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah I don't know about the credibility of the newspaper either but the story looks interesting .....

abmk

State 12th Man
yeah I guess he is somewhat less biased than most commentators and he does provide great comic relief with the words he uses..

I still remember Wasim saying "nothing unfazes Ponting".. Was just such a lolworthy moment.. Or Ramiz going "How well he has managed to mitigate this innings".. :laugh:
yeah, I remember that comment from Wasim. Hadn't heard that Ramiz one though. Both good ones :laugh:
: