• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shastri Vs Hussain, Shastri has lost it

Flem274*

123/5
I found it refreshing tbh. I'm no Shastri fan after this outburst, but this form of commentary sure beats the hell out of the bland "state the obvious or spout inane "facts" about opposition players" mantra you get 90% of the time.

Let me put it this way: Shashtri commentating alongside Channel Nine would make my day.

War. Beautiful, glourious bloody war in the commentary box.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I found it refreshing tbh. I'm no Shastri fan after this outburst, but this form of commentary sure beats the hell out of the bland "state the obvious or spout inane "facts" about opposition players" mantra you get 90% of the time.

Let me put it this way: Shashtri commentating alongside Channel Nine would make my day.

:laugh: OMG that would be epic.

"Aussies are jealous of the fact that India are now No.1" etc etc :laugh:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, absolute honest opinion from both sides (Shastri and Hussain).

Better than politically-correct-insecure-about-job blabbers, no?

And neither side has lost or won it, it's not a tug-of-war. They have different opinions about which both are very vocal. And neither of them like the other side of the opinion. Fair enough.

Howe_zat

Audio File

I see what you're saying, but it doesn't really outweigh the annoyance of a paid professional commenting with all the integrity of Dhoni_Fan.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It wasn't that heated. It was two people calling it as they said it, that's all.
In other words, no bans or infractions applicable had the argument been on CW. It would have peacefully run over 100 pages resulting in more polarised opinions :)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol at Shastri using 'bloody' and 'damn'. How professional. His rant was hilarious though, pity they didn't fight more in the commentary box.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Shastri is involved with the BCCI and on the IPL governing council so no surprise this comment came from him.

Flem274*

123/5
I see what you're saying, but it doesn't really outweigh the annoyance of a paid professional commenting with all the integrity of Dhoni_Fan.
Haha it would have been trolling if he said it on here for sure. There's a difference between stating an opinion and being offensive, and Shahstri stepped firmly into the offensive camp with the accusations of jealousy.

If commentators spouted off like that every game it would get boring quickly, but every once in a while makes for hilarious viewing. It takes a certain kind of foolish courage to act like an arsehole on live TV. I almost respect it.

I find the constant descriptions of Tim Bresnan as a hard working toiler (mainly occurred a few years ago tbf) when he's an attacking bowler, or Ian Chappell saying Ross Taylor scored all his test centuries against Bangladesh during our last tour of Australia, or Tony Grieg saying Hamish Bennett was a medium pacer, far more offensive than an obviously passionate yet misguided idiot saying what he thinks.

Not doing your research and relying on cliches or plain making things up incenses me, because I could do that for far less coin. Shahstri has put some semblance of thought into his opinion, and he backs it to the hilt. I like that in my commentators, even if they do fall on the wtflolbbq end of the scale.

I want him down here next time India tour commentating alongside Crowe and I demand green pitches this time, not roads flatter than Paris Hilton. Recipe for entertainment.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Embarrassing stuff. Lost a lot of respect for Shastri there and gained some for Nasser.

Himannv

International Coach
Never had a high opinion of Shastri anyway so this is probably expected. Agree with those that find Bhogle annoying as well. Honestly, I dont even know what it is but that guy deserves a pie in the face or something.

On another note, echoing the thoughts on Ganguly's commentating. Actually like him more as a commentator than a player. I'm fairly partial to Gavaskar despite all the rubbish he says, but thats only because I liked him as a player though.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Wow! Never saw something that unprofessional from Shastri. I always knew the guy was a one-eyed jingoistic freak, but for all his other shortcomings, the guy doesn't seem to be a tactless fool.

He has the other ingredients to be a fair commentator. A good, deep barritone, good command over the English language (not a given for sub-continental players) and concise views on the game that he manages to express somewhat articulately.

Even if I had the same opinion as Ravi (ftr, I do not), I would have voiced that in a more acceptable fashion. Of course, staying sober during the discussion helps a bit! :laugh: