• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Ahktar

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently when he bowled that spell to McMillan the other day, his arm was bent like a boomerang.
There is something strange going on with Shoaib Ahktar & the ICC, its like they don't want to ban him from the game because there will be crys of racism etc. Which is the likely outcome anyway.

But man..if you think Brett Lee is a chucker take a look at Shoaib's current action.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As a scientist (and someone who's read the report by Dennis Lillee on his action) I am appalled that a New Zealand radio commentator can, without any firm scientific evidence, demonise Shoaib Akhtar as Waddle has.

I have my own doubts as to the accuracy of the speed cameras themselves (hence the new world record) but I have no doubt that Shoaib does NOT throw. Akhtar's arm hyper-extends around 40 degrees which means it bends 40 degrees the wrong way when he bowls, which is VERY unusual. When he lets go of the ball, his arm DOES straighten from being bent backwards which is probably the 'flick' from where he generates his pace.

Either way, that 'flick' is COMPLETELY involuntary and he can do NOTHING about it. He DOES NOT 'chuck' or 'throw'. It's merely a physical abnormality that cannot be fixed.

I'll keep trying to the find the report but it was up on Cricinfo a few months ago.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well im afraid that if either one of Lee, Murali or Ahktar get pulled up for chucking..then the other 2 should also be stopped.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think its exciting when Ahktar bowls, because he runs it & terrorizes the batsmen which is a positive for cricket, however his action is not legitimate & if he is being constantly hassled by the ICC then I think every other bowler who has a suspicious action should also be halted.

Top_Cat

however his action is not legitimate
Prove it.

Dennis Lillee and Dr. Frank Pyke have shown their evidence that his action is legal so where's yours for refutation?

Top_Cat

Proof.

Here is your proof. LOOK AT HIS ACTION!
I have an all I see in EVERY slow motion replay is a guy who's arm bends between 25 and 40 degrees the WRONG WAY.

As I said, do a search on Cricinfo for the document I mentioned and you'll see what I'm talking about. At least they offer better proof than "LOOK AT HIS ACTION!"

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
I don't think Brett Lee is a chucker, Akhtr has to be. Brett Lee is by far the better of the two.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Why does he have to be a chucker just because he can bowl at 161kph?

Shoaib, Brett Lee, Murali, James Kirtley etc. have all had their actions cleared, and as such, we should stop whinging and start trying to adapt and play them!

Top_Cat

kay well I think there is something to be cleared up here about the chucking law:

Law 24.3:3. Definition of fair delivery – the arm
A ball is fairly delivered in respect of the arm if, once the bowler’s arm has reached the level of the shoulder in the delivery swing, the elbow joint is not straightened partially or completely from that point until the ball has left the hand. This definition shall not debar a bowler from flexing or rotating the wrist in the delivery swing.

Under the strictest definition of the law, almost every bowler chucks because of two reasons:

1) At that pace it's almost impossible NOT to hyper-extend yor arm past the joint at the elbow.

2) The law wasn't written to cover instances like that, only where the elbow was bent the natural way to stop people from pinging the ball down with a bent arm.

So the law needs to be changed to reflect that now we can see that a bowler who may have been accused of chucking may have merely been hyper-extending their arm in relation to their elbow. Sure people who hyper-extend may get an advantage over those who's arms extend less but that's not their problem. The throwing law was designed to stop people from deliberately throwing the ball and these instances are entirely involuntary which means, in my opinion, these bowlers cannot be governed under the law as it stands.

So it needs to change.

I don't think Brett Lee is a chucker, Akhtr has to be. Brett Lee is by far the better of the two.
Brett may be a better bowler but his hyper-extension is just less than Shoaib's. There's nothing that either of them can do, short of bowling with splints on their arms.

Why does he have to be a chucker just because he can bowl at 161kph?

Shoaib, Brett Lee, Murali, James Kirtley etc. have all had their actions cleared, and as such, we should stop whinging and start trying to adapt and play them!
Exactly. However, that does not mean that a bowler is permanently cleared because bad habits can slip into a bowler's game. This means they need to be checked on a regular basis, in my view.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
ive tried what murali does almost exactly and i see that i can get way more turn when i do that

He has a bent arm im not sure that he can help that ?

Anway coming to Akhtar he has been cleared of the ICC and its over ,

Last time Sri Lanka was out here (Oz), I remember Tony Greig doing his pitch report and Murali was with him, and Tony Greig tried to bend Murali's arm, but couldn't.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The laws of cricket state that at the point of delivery you must have your arm straight, whether the ICC will change this rule to allow players with disabilities in their arms is unknown.

Kyle Mills who has played for NZ a few times, has a suspicious action but I think it's totally unfair to ban one player for chucking when there are still 4 or 5 out there getting away with it.

Top_Cat

The laws of cricket state that at the point of delivery you must have your arm straight, whether the ICC will change this rule to allow players with disabilities in their arms is unknown.
Not true. Read my post above about the law (from Cricinfo). It says that at the point of delivery, there must be no partial or completed bending or straightening of the arm. It says nothing about the arm having to be straight.

In short it says, if you bowl with a bent arm, don't straighten it at the point of delivery and if you're bowling with a straight arm, don't bend it at the point of delivery.

Everyone bowling at pace is going to have some form of hyper-extension so in effect almost EVERY fast bowler has their arm being backwards past the point of straightness in their elbow (unnaturally so) so under the current law, you'll find that most fast bowlers chuck. However, Shaoib's arm just bends back further than most, givig the impression he chucks.

And to contribute to the thread about Brian Waddle, he's a moron if he honestly believes he can tell whether a player is chucking with the naked eye and at normal speed. Quite frankly, he's a moroon anyway.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well what can you say to the fact that even the Pakistani Players joke about Shoaib chucking the ball?
so obviously they think its not a legal action.