Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scores quick in a test; a dick in the rest

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

Scores quick in a test; a dick in the rest

I'm thinking primarily of Matt Prior and Stuart Broad here but I'm sure there are other examples. Both are players who exemplify the swashbuckling lower middle order dasher when clad in white, but who seem to forget how to put willow to leather in the limited overs formats.

Why is this? Prior's test SR of 66+ stands comparison to some of the cream of ODI dashers. He scores his test runs more rapidly than Pietersen, Symonds, Flintoff, de Villiers, Haddin & Ponting to name but half a dozen. Put him in pyjamas though and it's a sorry tale of woe. His MO does perhaps rely on a few productive shots (very strong on the cut and off his pads), but opposing captains never manage to stymie his scoring in tests by blocking those areas so there must be more to it than that.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Simon Champion!
    Sehwag is pretty much better in tests than he is ODI's for a aggresive player too, though obviously isn't a complete dud by any means. Struggled a lot in the ODI's for a period and even got dropped from the test team as a result.

With Prior it's definitely the ODI fields. You can pack the offside boundary, aim at the stumps because you've no slip cordon, and Prior's technical limitations take care of the rest.

Broad, nine times out of ten, takes a very long time to get in before his shots come out in force. In ODIs he doesn't get a chance until #9 or #10 thanks to this so it's usually that he can't play himself in properly. And it becomes a self-fulfilling thing, as his ODI batting failures keep him back in the order.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Prior's not actually the worst T20 batsman IMO. Admittedly his T20I record is pretty pooey but 26 @ 140 is decent in domestic terms

Yeah, it's usually the fields. Scoring at a good clip in ODIs usually requires good placement, ability to rotate the strike and general minimisation of dot balls. In Tests, scoring quickly is usually about hitting a lot of boundaries and playing a lot of shots. In this way, Tests are actually a lot similar to T20 cricket than ODIs - the middle format has its own special requirements when it comes to building an innings at a good pace.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, it's usually the fields. Scoring at a good clip in ODIs usually requires good placement, ability to rotate the strike and general minimisation of dot balls. In Tests, scoring quickly is usually about hitting a lot of boundaries and playing a lot of shots. In this way, Tests are actually a lot similar to T20 cricket than ODIs - the middle format has its own special requirements when it comes to building an innings at a good pace.
    I think rotating the strike would help in any format of the game
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I think rotating the strike would help in any format of the game
    Yeah, but in ODIs you need it to score quickly unless you're just biffing. Just being a strokemaker usually won't work. In Tests you can get away without it a lot of the time as long as you have a few go-to shots and your defense is good.

Michael Slater very much in the Prior mould

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Craig McMillan. He wasn't terrible in ODIs, but he did average less than thirty. Daniel Vettori likewise. Scores pretty quickly in tests these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    First person I thought of when I saw the title. Strangely, he was actually better as a middle order batsman in the ODIs.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    With Prior it's definitely the ODI fields. You can pack the offside boundary, aim at the stumps because you've no slip cordon, and Prior's technical limitations take care of the rest.
    Mainly this. Teams don't give much width in ODIs.

The roles in ODIs are also very defined and Prior's skillset doesn't fit nicely into any of those he's played. He's neither an opener nor a finisher.
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

VVS Laxman. A player who's got a wide array of shots and loves to keep the scoreboard ticking. It's a pity he couldn't take that elegance and genius to ODI cricket, often sidelined for the slower scorers like Dinesh Mongia and Mohammed Kaif, and the erratic Yuvraj Singh.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

cpr
    One thing about Prior is he's helped by having a good batting line up in front of him in tests, and a fair chunk of the time he's coming in to score quick against wearied bowlers and tired fielders. Its a lot easier to dominate those already beaten down.

ODI's its a different story, as sometimes he opens, so is facing prime bowlers and a fresh field, and if he's not, he's not far off due to our inability to bat in ODI's, so were a few down for jack all, and the bowlers are smelling blood.

For someone like Prior, the mentality of the opposition at his point of bat is in my eyes a telling factor
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Michael Slater pretty much defines the thread tbh.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

The entire England team.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information