• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian team selection & Captaincy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
anzac said:
IMO the best method is to select the best available team for the conditions and then select the Captain from that list.

As I said earlier the only time you consider otherwise is when the Captain's performance as a leader, tactician & developer of players is above the norm that it enhances or compensates his batting.

:)
I very much agree with this - always have done. The notion of selecting a captain who doesn't merit his place in the side is absurd.
However, I genuinely felt, at some times, that Ganguly fitted the mould of your second paragraph. At least taken in the context of India's captaincy since Azhar (and hindsight suggests he was in fact the worst of the lot). Ganguly's captaincy was exception at times, and I'd like to see anyone who thinks he can do half as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
esgallindeion said:
That's what u guys would be feeling there in England and other places, and the records also support you. But here in India, or at least the place where I am, people don't really support Laxman.
:O I honestly struggle to believe this.:O
How can you possibly not support someone who has been so consistent for such a good period of time?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
esgallindeion said:
That's what u guys would be feeling there in England and other places, and the records also support you. But here in India, or at least the place where I am, people don't really support Laxman.

I, myself, would prefer Yuvraj Singh or Mohd Kaif in the side. But that's only my personal preference.
Can you tell me exactly why people don't support Laxman? I am an Indian and I have felt for the past couple of years that he has been an indispensable member of the team. I have even felt that he has been given a raw deal as far as the one dayers are concerned. This is the first time I am hearing that a lot of Indians feel Laxman should be replaced, that too in tests, by Kaif or Yuvraj.:O :O

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Brearley was exceptional and was one of the rare exceptions anilramavarma talked about.

anzac

International Debutant
Richard said:
I very much agree with this - always have done. The notion of selecting a captain who doesn't merit his place in the side is absurd.
However, I genuinely felt, at some times, that Ganguly fitted the mould of your second paragraph. At least taken in the context of India's captaincy since Azhar (and hindsight suggests he was in fact the worst of the lot). Ganguly's captaincy was exception at times, and I'd like to see anyone who thinks he can do half as well.

agreed, but IMO now only applicable to ODIs...I haven't seen anything from him in a Test series for some time - perhaps the Away tour to England????

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ganguly in my mind is a class batsman, and while he has done a heck of alot for Indian cricket as captain, his personal game has suffered greatly. As such, I don't think he deserves the criticism he's getting.

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
anilramavarma said:
Can you tell me exactly why people don't support Laxman? I am an Indian and I have felt for the past couple of years that he has been an indispensable member of the team. I have even felt that he has been given a raw deal as far as the one dayers are concerned. This is the first time I am hearing that a lot of Indians feel Laxman should be replaced, that too in tests, by Kaif or Yuvraj.:O :O
That just proves what I said. Laxman doesn't have as huge a fan following as Yuvraj, Kaif or Sehwag. I never compared these players on their batting abilities but on the basis of the support that they enjoy. So please don't tell me that he has already scored a century in the current series whereas the others haven't.

He's doing well currently, but most people I know believe that other players should be given preference over him. Yuvraj and Kaif have built a huge reputation over here. People actually love to see these two bat... much more than Laxman.

I agree that he should be kept a constant member of the test side, but in ODIs his place is less certain. I think that if the selectors would have had to drop any one batsman from the team, it would usually have been Laxman. But with his current form, they might find i hard.

Also his average isn't particualrly as great as many of us would like it to be. With Srinath gone, he's undoubtedly the worst fielder in the team.

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
anzac said:
agreed, but IMO now only applicable to ODIs...I haven't seen anything from him in a Test series for some time - perhaps the Away tour to England????

You can add the tests in WI too :rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ganguly in my mind is a class batsman, and while he has done a heck of alot for Indian cricket as captain, his personal game has suffered greatly. As such, I don't think he deserves the criticism he's getting.
I think you will find he brings a lot of it upon himself due to his attitude and general "oooooh I hate that guy"itis...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
esgallindeion said:
The "oooooh I hate that guy"itis is what I like the most about that guy. :D
And unsurprisingly it's what most people don't like him because of...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It will always win you some big friends and some big enemies.
Some cricketing examples:
Jardine, Tufnell, Lillee, Croft (Colin), Greig (Tony), Dalmiya.