• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

where would england rank among the great sides of the past?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure this current side is as good as the 03-05 side, it certainly has greater depth to it but the team which won the ashes in 05 was a very good side who beat a great Aussie team with a bit of luck along the way.

The current team probably hasn't peaked yet and may well improve anyway over time when we introduce Taylor into the batting side (nobody can yet tell) and with the bowlers still having a few years left in the tank and likely lads like Finn and Bresnan waiting in the wings we will be a top 3 side for a while.

Are we good enough to dominate like Australia did until recently? I don't think we are but time will tell on that one. Be fun finding out anyway if we do keep on winning matches.
I think that having Flintoff at the absolute peak of his powers gives the 2005 side the edge. Remove him, and I think that the current side may well be superior.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Well, currently they are at no. 3 according to the latest ICC ratings, behind India and South Africa.

If you compare them with the sides of the past, they will be at about no. 513 in the rankings, or whatever it is.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Ponting and Imran didn't just have "a side" tho, both were in charge of their nations for a considerable time & the XIs evolved.

awta. Imran's side evolved over a 10 year period while he was captain (other than his injury part). Waqar came into his side in 1989 but by then all of his major away series were done with in any case

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think that having Flintoff at the absolute peak of his powers gives the 2005 side the edge. Remove him, and I think that the current side may well be superior.
The current side IMO would absolutely destroy the 2005 side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I agree.

Trescothick/Strauss = Cook/Strauss
Vaughan < Trott
Pietersen 05 ?? Pietersen 11 (he's capable of more now than then but we'll see how he goes from here)
Bell 05 <<<<< Bell 11
Flintoff >>>>>>>>>> Morgan
G. Jones <<<<<<<<<<<< Prior
Giles <<<<<<<< Swann
Harmison <<< Tremlett
S. Jones = Anderson
Hoggard >> Broad

Lower-order batting: This side by a mile
Fielding: This one, although Freddie was a better slip by quite a bit more than any of the current side

smash84

The Tiger King
The current side IMO would absolutely destroy the 2005 side.
Not really. Swann is a big plus here but Giles was decent in 2005. Other than that Harmison and Flintoff were superb in that series and in form those two I would prefer over Broad and Tremlett. Secondly while Jimmy Anderson might swing the new ball nicely (can't remember if he was in the squad back then) but then you have the reverse swing of Simon Jones from 2005 which I am pretty sure would be decisive. I reckon the 2005 side might edge it or at least would not get absolutely destroyed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Harmison wasn't awesome in the 2005 Test series. He had a couple of decent matches and was fairly innocuous after that; would take Tremlett over Harmison post-2004 without a second's hesitation.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I agree.

Vaughan < Trott
Pietersen 05 ?? Pietersen 11 (he's capable of more now than then but we'll see how he goes from here)
Bell 05 <<<<< Bell 11
Giles <<<<<<<< Swann
Harmison <<< Tremlett
S. Jones = Anderson
Hoggard >> Broad

Fielding: This one, although Freddie was a better slip by quite a bit more than any of the current side
I think that's fair, although I'd increase the distance between Vaughan and Trott.

The '05 side was carried a bit by their awesome pace attack. The batting was decent, the fielding was a bit clumsy and the spinner was a prank-cricketer. This side by comparison doesn't really have a weakness.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think that's fair, although I'd increase the distance between Vaughan and Trott.

The '05 side was carried a bit by their awesome pace attack. The batting was decent, the fielding was a bit clumsy and the spinner was a prank-cricketer. This side by comparison doesn't really have a weakness.
My only question is how much difference does Flintoff make to the calculation? I suspect we're already forgetting just how immense he was in 2005. Looking at the other 10 players, I can see that 2011 > 2005. But, without him, we'd have lost heavily in 2005 and we wouldn't even be having the discussion. Given how major a contribution he made against the 2005 Aus side, it's a fair guess that he'd do the same or more against this England side.

smash84

The Tiger King

exactly, so you can't really say that this side would utterly destroy the 05 side

Yeah, I agree.

Vaughan < Trott
Bell 05 <<<<< Bell 11
Giles <<<<<<<< Swann
Harmison <<< Tremlett
S. Jones = Anderson
Hoggard >> Broad

Anderson now is better than Simon Jones surely

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not really. Swann is a big plus here but Giles was decent in 2005. Other than that Harmison and Flintoff were superb in that series and in form those two I would prefer over Broad and Tremlett. Secondly while Jimmy Anderson might swing the new ball nicely (can't remember if he was in the squad back then) but then you have the reverse swing of Simon Jones from 2005 which I am pretty sure would be decisive. I reckon the 2005 side might edge it or at least would not get absolutely destroyed.
Harmison wasn't superb in 2005. Had an excellent Test at Lord's and contributed pretty much **** all for the rest of the series.

The batting from 2005 is a huge weakness conpared to now. Vaughan IMO would get utterly owned by Anderson moving the ball away from him, and 2005 Bell was rubbish as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anderson now is better than Simon Jones surely
Jones's 05 Ashes was probably the best series I've seen an England bowler have, save maybe for Anderson's 10-11 Ashes, which was excellent in different ways.

Hard to say really. We never got to see what Jones could have become.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
My only question is how much difference does Flintoff make to the calculation? I suspect we're already forgetting just how immense he was in 2005. Looking at the other 10 players, I can see that 2011 > 2005. But, without him, we'd have lost heavily in 2005 and we wouldn't even be having the discussion. Given how major a contribution he made against the 2005 Aus side, it's a fair guess that he'd do the same or more against this England side.
Flintoff had to contribute heavily because with Bell and Harmison we were a man down in both disciplines.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mmm I think this attack would fancy their chances against his technique, to be honest. It really is quite a lot better than the '05 Australian attack once McGrath went down.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He was pure *** though

Best performance by any player ever

I love him

Imagine if you stick him in that form into this team, in place of Morgan.

smash84

The Tiger King
Jones's 05 Ashes was probably the best series I've seen an England bowler have, save maybe for Anderson's 10-11 Ashes, which was excellent in different ways.

Hard to say really. We never got to see what Jones could have become.
awta

Jones 05 was just plain outstanding. Was excellent at reverse swing tbh. The Aussie batsman really did not have too much of an answer to him