• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's opening pair

What should India's opening combination be in test matches?

• Sehwag & Chopra

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Sehwag & Das

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Sehwag & Ramesh

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Ramesh & Chopra

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Ramesh & Das

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Das & Chopra

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Gambir & Sehwag

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Gambir & Das

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gambir & Chopra

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Gambir & Ramesh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters

Deja moo

International Captain
Richard said:
Pointless if you ask me.
Dravid should bat three all the time and Laxman five all the time, simple as.

Its not as "simple as"

If Dravid batted 3 and Laxman 5 all the time , the Kolkata test of 2001 would have had a very different result .

NikhilN

International Regular
I am gonna go with Jaffer and Sehwag...Jaffer should be given more chances at tests...he looks like a good player to me

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
In place of whom in the middle order?

India's middle order spots are as certain as Stephen Fleming's captaincy of New Zealand.
In that case he's not good enough.

If he can't displace someone in the current team, then he's by definition not as good as them, and therefore not good enough.

Craig

World Traveller
So you don't consider Sehwag good enough for the Indian team?

By that logic Martin Love must not be good enough for Test cricket because he can't displace Ricky Ponting or Damien Martyn?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
So you don't consider Sehwag good enough for the Indian team?

By that logic Martin Love must not be good enough for Test cricket because he can't displace Ricky Ponting or Damien Martyn?
If Love is not good enough to displace anyone in the current Australian team, he is not good enough to play for Australia.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
Wasim Jaffer has been tried and tested many times. He hasn't been up to it, plus there are more valuable openers around.

Why waste time with Jaffer?

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
In place of whom in the middle order?

India's middle order spots are as certain as Stephen Fleming's captaincy of New Zealand.
you pick batsmen according to their batting position see key......IMO if they want yuvraj in the side then one of the experienced middle order players must move up the order and IMO it should be either ganguly or tendulkar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You cannot compromise a strength, especially if it is SRT, by batting them in the wrong position.
If you want to bring someone in, someone proven should not have to leave the position they have made their own.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
In that case he's not good enough.

If he can't displace someone in the current team, then he's by definition not as good as them, and therefore not good enough.
Not good enough - or not got the chance?
IMO "good enough" means good enough to make a success of yourself at that form and level of the game. Just because someone can't displace someone because that person got there first doesn't mean they're not as good as them.
For instance, it is now clear that there is one and only one better Australian batsman than Darren Lehmann, but Lehmann still had to wait his turn because Mark Waugh, Stephen Waugh, Martyn and the like got there first.
It doesn't mean they're better than Lehamnn.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
You cannot compromise a strength, especially if it is SRT, by batting them in the wrong position.
If you want to bring someone in, someone proven should not have to leave the position they have made their own.
why not?tendulkar has the ability,experience and the technique to open the batting and i for one believe that he will be a better opener than a no 4. regardless even if it doesnt work he can always move back down the order.
you dont want to compromise someone experienced but you would much rather have a youngster who has had barely had any experience at the intl arena and isnt a genuine opener bat in the wrong position so that he can probably fail and then never be considered in the side again?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
Its not as "simple as"

If Dravid batted 3 and Laxman 5 all the time , the Kolkata test of 2001 would have had a very different result .
Well, probably, but not certainly.
Anyway, glorious spontenaity has it's moments, usually.
That's all it was, though. As we saw in Australia, it does work the other way around, and as we've seen in many subsequent home series, it certainly works in India.
I don't think Laxman should be batting three, I think it's Dravid's position and doing something at home, something else away is a very risky strategem.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
why not?tendulkar has the ability,experience and the technique to open the batting and i for one believe that he will be a better opener than a no 4. regardless even if it doesnt work he can always move back down the order.
you dont want to compromise someone experienced but you would much rather have a youngster who has had barely had any experience at the intl arena and isnt a genuine opener bat in the wrong position so that he can probably fail and then never be considered in the side again?
IMO that's better than tainting Tendulkar.
The best choice is just to pick another opener.
If Yuvraj is so good his time will come in his proper position anyway.
It's the selectors' fault if they base failings when batting out of position on future selection considerations.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
IMO that's better than tainting Tendulkar.
The best choice is just to pick another opener.
If Yuvraj is so good his time will come in his proper position anyway.
It's the selectors' fault if they base failings when batting out of position on future selection considerations.
no its not tainting at all....kirsten recently moved away from a place that he made his own so that smith could open and he didnt do too badly at 3 either. the point is that even if tendulkar failed, he could always go back to 4, if yuvraj failed it might just be the end of his career. i dont see how you can say that it would be better to put an inexperienced youngster up against the new ball instead of an experienced batsman(pretty much past his prime) batting at the top. it doesnt work that way at all.

Deja moo

International Captain
tooextracool said:

I agree with that . There is no one with a better technique than Sachin for opening ( Except Dravid )...Better send him up the order than some middle order guy .

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Tooextracool said:
That is exactly what happened to Badani, Rathore, some wicketkeepers and almost happened to Laxman. The way Sachin is batting, he would make a far better 'makeshift' opener than these raw players.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
"that is what is happening"?
Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me.
It was the reply above that about replacing someone having to leave a place they've proven themselves in.