• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Barry Richards do enough to be considered in an All Time Team

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Where would people rate Simon Katich as an opening batsman? He was pretty successful there for a few years. Always felt he was rather underrated at Test level IMO.

Jager

International Debutant
Katich, hmmm. I'll probably select him sooner rather than later in the ATG thread, that's for sure. He could have probably squeezed into one of the lower teams and not been out of place.

watson

Banned
Katich is a good Test batsman for sure, but so damned ugly to watch. I find that stride across the wicket just before the ball gets bowled really irritating. He loses on aesthetics as does Chanderpaul who is his West Indian equivalent.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Bradman's all-time XI was possibly the worst serious attempts I have ever seen. Would not take it as much of a guide.
Bradman's team was okay, apart from Tallon at 6, and Bedser instead of a bowling AR

Bradman's Team
B.Richards
Morris
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Tallon
Lindwall
Lillee
Bedser
O'Reilly
Grimmett

What I'd change
Richards
Morris
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Gilchrist or Knott
Imran or Hadlee

Lindwall
Warne
Lillee
O'Reilly

Bradman's needed the batting strengthened, this does it without losing anything in the bowling.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would easily change seven from Bradman's team. Obviously it's all subjective but most teams are pretty similar and arguably pretty on an even level, but Bradman's team is just inferior to most others IMO.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I would easily change seven from Bradman's team. Obviously it's all subjective but most teams are pretty similar and arguably pretty on an even level, but Bradman's team is just inferior to most others IMO.
Agree Bradman's team is unbalanced:

Only 5 legit batsmen.

Tallon hardly batted at 6 in his career, yet he is at 6 in an ATG team.

6 genuine bowlers (including Sobers) seems excessive.

Lindwall and Lillee both batting one spot too high.

FWIW, my ATG team (this week) is:

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Hammond
V. Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Warne
Lillee
Ambrose

bagapath

International Captain
experts believe that richards would have become an ATG opener.
but we already have some ATG openers who would be fighting for the two slots with all they have got.

hobbs
hutton
gavaskar
sutcliffe
trumper
greenidge
hayden
sehwag
g.smith
boycott

all should be considered before you look at champion FC cricketers like vijay merchant and barry richards who didnt get to play enough test cricket

Debris

International 12th Man
Katich is a good Test batsman for sure, but so damned ugly to watch. I find that stride across the wicket just before the ball gets bowled really irritating. He loses on aesthetics as does Chanderpaul who is his West Indian equivalent.
They are/were two of my favourite batsmen to watch. I have always liked to watch players with a unique technique.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not just first class cricket, but Packer cricket, and some of the Rest of the World 11games that he played. Many who saw him called him one of if not the best they ever saw.

bagapath

International Captain
It's not just first class cricket, but Packer cricket, and some of the Rest of the World 11games that he played. Many who saw him called him one of if not the best they ever saw.
they are also FC games despite what the packer cricketers want you to believe

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
I recently heard a famous anecdote from that match.

Apparently Marsh turned to the first slip after Richards played and missed at the first delivery with words to the effect, "I thought he was supposed to be crash hot.". Then later when when Chappelli was dismissed and Richards was going ballistic Chappelli asked "What do you think of him now?"

Everything you hear about Richards suggests that he was a super gun and he certainly showed that during his brief stint in test cricket.

It's unfortunate for him that he never got to fulfil his potential, just like those whose WSC stats aren't counted, yet see others get inflated averages because of matches against Bangla and Zm on featherbeds.

bagapath

International Captain
Those runs should count more than Gavaskars and others in test cricket during that time.
may be. but they dont. because test cricket is played between teams representing nations (or a conglomerate of nations in the case of windies). any other put-together team, however good it may be, cannot be considered to be playing the same game. lets not compare apples and oranges. barry has not played enough test cricket to be considered an alltime great. end of story. any other form of cricket he excelled in may bring him glory of a different kind but there is no way he is going to have dinner with hobbs, hutton, sunny, trumper and greenidge. he is welcome to dine with other FC greats like vijay merchant, graeme hick and darren lehmann.

Last edited: