• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morgan V Raina

Who's the better batsmen?

• Total voters

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok i'll try to resurrect this place..

Who's better Morgan or Raina?

discuss.

batsman*

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bloody good question that.

I've been enormously impressed with Raina since the start of the West Indies series. Still reckon he'll be made to look like a clown at least once this series but I reckon India might have sorted their number 6 issue for the time being.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're remarkably similar, now that you mention it. Flamboyant lower-order left-handers, both in the team largely for their ODI exploits. I'd give it to Raina because I think he's just a touch more experienced but I think Morgan will have the better series. Home advantage counts for a lot when it comes to this kind of player imo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Raina, and it's not even particularly close at this point IMO. Wouldn't be surprised if Morgan had a better series though because England's bowlers are better and, as Uppercut said, he's playing at home.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Raina, and it's not even particularly close at this point IMO. Wouldn't be surprised if Morgan had a better series though because England's bowlers are better and, as Uppercut said, he's playing at home.
Both have similar batting record (averages) in both ODIs & Tests,both bat at same no.
Still,I don't know what makes you say that Raina is not even close to Morgan?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Both have similar batting record (averages) in both ODIs & Tests,both bat at same no.
Still,I don't know what makes you say that Raina is not even close to Morgan?
Firstly, this thread is not ODIs; I don't really care about them at all in this context. When someone asks me who the better batsman of two players is, ODIs play zero part.

Raina has performed at a good level in Tests for a longer period that Morgan and crucially, has done a lot better in the First Class arena, even allowing for the gap in standard/competition-wide batting averages. Morgan averages just 32 in Country Cricket which is all we really have to go on given he's played so few Tests.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
A close one.

Overall would give to Raina, but won't be surprised at all if Morgan does better in this series.

Last edited:

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Firstly, this thread is not ODIs; I don't really care about them at all in this context. When someone asks me who the better batsman of two players is, ODIs play zero part.

Raina has performed at a good level in Tests for a longer period that Morgan and crucially, has done a lot better in the First Class arena, even allowing for the gap in standard/competition-wide batting averages. Morgan averages just 32 in Country Cricket which is all we really have to go on given he's played so few Tests.
Sorry.I misread.I thought you were saying Morgan>>Raina.:unsure:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And I wonder why you don't consider ODIs.What about Michael Bevan in your opinion??
Michael Bevan was a good batsman who achieved far less than he would have (IMO) in another era or in another country. His Sheffield Shield record throughout his career was almost beyond peer but a poor start to his Test career mixed with extremely strong competition for places, personality issues and a couple of career-lasting-myth-creating ugly dismissals against short balls saw a talent wasted.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
And I wonder why you don't consider ODIs.What about Michael Bevan in your opinion??
He doesn't consider ODI's because presumably this thread is about Tests in this subforum.

The same will apply for Bevan or any other player.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He doesn't consider ODI's because presumably this thread is about Tests in this subforum.

The same will apply for Bevan or any other player.
Anku seems to be a big form of combining the two forms to form an "overall" judgement. I just leave ODIs separate. If someone asked me how good a batsman a certain player was, I'd sooner consider his performances in two-day weekend club cricket than ODIs. If you want my opinion on someone's limited overs credentials, ask me how good their limited overs batting is.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Anku seems to be a big form of combining the two forms to form an "overall" judgement. I just leave ODIs separate. If someone asked me how good a batsman a certain player was, I'd sooner consider his performances in two-day weekend club cricket than ODIs. If you want my opinion on someone's limited overs credentials, ask me how good their limited overs batting is.
I like your way of judging players on the basis of longer format.But it would lead some players' abilities not being justified.Bevan is the biggest example.Agarkar,Chris Harris,Symonds,McMillan,Yuvraj etc. add to this list.
If someone in 2022 looks at Bevan's stats & takes your route of judging only on longer format,then he may think Bevan was some ****.
I think a better way is to combine the both formats.Although,it is mandatory to exclude the shortest format,the 20-over.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think it's between the two tbh. Obviously players have their strengths and weaknesses but it's very rare for a player to be a quality international in one format and total fail in the other. (And where there is, there are technical reasons for that, it's not just a case of highlighting numbers)

I can see why you'd think the jump from ODI to Test is smaller than from FC to Test - I think they're pretty similar distances, depending on the FC competition - but not from club to Test, by any means.