• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surrey CCC

fredtheted

Cricket Spectator
Hiya guys,

I was just wondering on what all your thoughts' were on Surrey.

Would people here consider them a top 5 team out all of the counties?
Thoughts on this season? Disappointing county championship and unlucky to go out of the t20..
I personally think they have one of the best overall teams, great young talents who all look to be very promising.
I also feel they have slightly under achieved. As I mentioned, disappointing championship season for them and unlucky to find themselves out of the friends t20... they're going strong in the cb40 however, top and unbeaten.

To conclude, I am very interested to hear everyones thoughts' on this team, whether you would consider them in your top 5 county list if you had to make one, and what lies ahead for them in the next two seasons or so.
I see them as the real force and the team to beat in the next couple of seasons.

Thanks for reading this, keen to hear all your opinions.

Cheers guys.

Riggins

International Captain
I don't know about the actual cricket side, but from watching they appear to definitely be the biggest wankers of the teams.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Didn't they only just come out of a phase where they didn't win a game in some stupid amount of time?

cpr

International Coach
Whilst they've got some good players, they do suffer from the same inadequacies of many of the other county teams, in that they are not Lancashire

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have some promising youngsters coming through, most of whom seem to be South African to lesser or greater extents.

Dernbach has already broken through to the England limited overs teams and I think Jason Roy and Stuart Meaker are both potential internationals too. Early days, but I like the cut of Zafar Ansari's jib as well.

fredtheted

Cricket Spectator
Have some promising youngsters coming through, most of whom seem to be South African to lesser or greater extents.

Dernbach has already broken through to the England limited overs teams and I think Jason Roy and Stuart Meaker are both potential internationals too. Early days, but I like the cut of Zafar Ansari's jib as well.
but do you feel that they will be seriously challenging for silverware in the next season or two?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
but do you feel that they will be seriously challenging for silverware in the next season or two?
In limited overs I don't think they're too far away, but I reckon they have a way to go to be up with the Notts, Durhams & Somersets of the world in FC just yet.

Young side for the most part tho, so who knows in a few seasons?

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
There is nothing called 'Top 5 teams' in county circuit.No team has been that much consistent in last 10 years IMO.

stumpski

International Captain

Dernbach, Meaker and Roy have all been here since they were kids tbf - they're no more 'South African' than Matt Prior. I would say the second of the three has the best chance of forging a worthwhile England career.

Ten years ago we would have been a match for most international sides - with a largely home-grown squad centred around Stewart, Butcher, Thorpe, Brown and the Bicknell and Hollioake brothers. Since then the decline has been long and steady, probaby bottoming out two years ago when we won one CC match all season. Rory Hamilton-Brown is the subject of a good interview in this month's Cricketer magazine. The side is on the way back up, but still very much a work in progress. The club has a tendency to over-hype on its website, but I take that sort of thing with a pinch of salt.:)

fredtheted

Cricket Spectator
There is nothing called 'Top 5 teams' in county circuit.No team has been that much consistent in last 10 years IMO.
So why are they not challenging for silverware?
They have one of the best squads, no doubt. That's the point I'm trying to make!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So why are they not challenging for silverware?
They have one of the best squads, no doubt. That's the point I'm trying to make!
But they really don't. Haven't done since the mid-2000s.

Even from the current squad, Tremlett misses most of the season due to test-match duries and Ramps rarely removes his slippers and pipe.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
you actually believe that?
Absolutely - and I say that as a Surrey supporter. They're better than they were a couple of years ago, and I think they're moving in the right direction, but they can have no complaint about being in D2.

fredtheted

Cricket Spectator
Absolutely - and I say that as a Surrey supporter. They're better than they were a couple of years ago, and I think they're moving in the right direction, but they can have no complaint about being in D2.
I appreciate your thoughts but I can't see how you see them worthy of just being in D2..
I think they have a lot of youngsters who will prove to be great players for them- making them potentially one of the best teams in the years to come.

They have a great bowling attack and batting is no doubt solid. They just need to mould as a team then they will be right up there at the top, in all competitions including when they get to D1.

I think this was the season where they are just trying to find their feet if u wish and as mentioned above, trying to come together as a team. They will be more assembled next season and ready to go!

Do you not think?
I really do see a very, very bright next few years for them. They have it all I think.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Nah their bowling attack is weak. Compare it to the first division attacks and it doesn't stack up. Linley, a journeyman, is their most reliable bowler.

I like Maynard, he was a decent signing, but their batting isn't good enough yet to make up for the bowling.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So basically the opening post should've read more like:

I was just wondering on what all your thoughts' were on Surrey.

Would people here consider them a top 5 team out all of the counties? If not then I'll discount your views.
Thoughts on this season? Disappointing county championship and unlucky to go out of the t20.. so the actual results make no difference to what I think.
I personally think they have one of the best overall teams, great young talents who all look to be very promising, even the one's that most people don't think to be.
I also feel they have slightly under achieved. As I mentioned, disappointing championship season for them and unlucky to find themselves out of the friends t20... they're going strong in the cb40 however, top and unbeaten, so we'll extrapolate out the CB40 record to have proof that they're a great side.

To conclude, I am very interested to hear everyones thoughts' on this team, whether you would consider them in your top 5 county list if you had to make one, and what lies ahead for them in the next two seasons or so but if you don't think they'll have a clean sweep of all competitions then you're clearly wrong.
I see them as the real force and the team to beat in the next couple of seasons.

Thanks for reading this, keen to hear all your opinions, unless you happen to disagree with me.

Cheers guys.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah their bowling attack is weak. Compare it to the first division attacks and it doesn't stack up. Linley, a journeyman, is their most reliable bowler.
Meaker has done pretty good throughout the season but has missed games through injury. Dernbach has been pretty okay too. The issue was that Arafat started the season with poor performances and so they were carrying him for a bit.