• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoffrey Boycott: ICC's Dream XI is a joke - it has no credibility

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He retired because he would've dropped himself at the time should he have been a selector, despite the fact that he was still scoring mountains of runs. :p

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nononononononono, you've got him all wrong. If you're brilliant from a young age, you must be persisted with, given every possible opportunity to play, until you're dead or just feel like doing something else. Form temporary, class permanent, etc.

If you're older and performing well but not slick looking, you must be playing well above yourself and it's a matter of time before your form disappears so you're not worth selecting in the first place. If you're older and not performing well but look slick, you just need more time to fulfill the talent you always had. In Chappell's world, Mark Waugh would have played 200 Tests and Steve Waugh none.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Greg Chappell retired in his mid-30's to protect his batting average?????
Whenever you think this forum has reached it's highest possible level of stupidity there's always something else lurking around the corner.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

gun post....sig worthy

Don't bother, just go to bed you nutter.
:laugh:

He retired because he would've dropped himself at the time should he have been a selector, despite the fact that he was still scoring mountains of runs. :p
lol....awta....

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
What he's trying to say is that people who DIDN'T see them play rate Chappell above Richards because of his higher batting average. It just isn't true save for a few bog-eyed Australians.

hmm ... pews, could you justify rating chappell ahead of viv please :ph34r:

:laugh: haha nice
btw not really though, he avg'd 40 in his last year (1983?) but finished on a high.

oh, my opinion was still in the developing stage when i made the earlier posts as i only found about his premature retirement last night.
Also it's pretty natural to assume at first that he might've played for his avg, given his personality. So apologies to people who were offended.

Last edited:

vcs

hmm ... pews, could you justify rating chappell ahead of viv please :ph34r:

:laugh: haha nice
btw not really though, he avg'd 40 in his last year (1983?) but finished on a high.

oh, my opinion was still in the developing stage when i made the earlier posts as i only found about his premature retirement last night.
Also it's pretty natural to assume at first that he might've played for his avg, given his personality. So apologies to people who were offended.
If you're really stretching to find fault with Chappell's record as a batsman, you might want to look at his averages against NZ with and without Hadlee. And I believe he made most of his runs against WI in the series Holding made his debut, before WI really established themselves as a force with their four-pronged pace attack. But you could find fault with pretty much every batsman in history if you want to nitpick at that level.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Murali ahead of Warne (I'm still convinced that much of Warne's legend is thanks to the media, if Murali had been English or Australian or even Indian the general opinion would be very different)
You and I will be best friends.

Burgey

I'm confused as to why people are saying 35 is a "young" age to retire. It wasn't in the 80s, when professional international cricket was still relatively new and the money wasn't what it is now.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If you're really stretching to find fault with Chappell's record as a batsman, you might want to look at his averages against NZ with and without Hadlee. And I believe he made most of his runs against WI in the series Holding made his debut, before WI really established themselves as a force with their four-pronged pace attack. But you could find fault with pretty much every batsman in history if you want to nitpick at that level.
no i wasn't trying to do that.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Geoffrey Boycott's Dream XI

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Donald Bradman
George Headley
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Alan Knott
Sydney Barnes
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
This team will be able to even beat Geoffry's XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Barry Richards
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Waugh
Gilchrist / Flower / Sanga+
Imran Khan*
Richard Hadlee
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
The greatest team of all time? You must be joking. It is so biased it has no credibility. It takes no account of the history of the game and the great players of the past.

Geoffrey Boycott: ICC's Dream XI is a joke - it has no credibility - Telegraph

Geoffrey Boycott's Dream XI

Jack Hobbs

Len Hutton

Donald Bradman

George Headley

Viv Richards

Garry Sobers

Alan Knott

Sydney Barnes

Malcolm Marshall

Shane Warne

Dennis Lillee

ICC Dream XI

Virender Sehwag

Sunil Gavaskar

Donald Bradman

Sachin Tendulkar

Brian Lara

Kapil Dev

Adam Gilchrist

Shane Warne

Wasim Akram

Curtly Ambrose

Glenn McGrath
At least Boycott has the good sense to pick Sobers ahead of Dev....
:cool:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Any fan picked one is not going to have credibility ultimately because all sorts of bias, personal preference, national bias will come into play e.g picking Kapil Dev over Imran Khan, or the fact that most of the current fans are not even aware of some of the great players before their time.