Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: "Munaf is spinning the ball" - more to it?

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,365

    "Munaf is spinning the ball" - more to it?

    This may have been discussed (and got lost) on the tour thread, but maybe there's more to Andy Roberts' comments than this slightly derisive line?

    While Munaf's lack of pace and thus lack of striking power may be a hot topic of discussion, with some of the pro-Munaf comments missing out on the bigger picture, Roberts has said something more important- the role of the coach. Greg Chappell came to him to sort out problems with the pacers, and said that Chappell's excessive emphasis on line and length has rendered Munaf a medium-pacer unwilling to crank up his pace and lose line and length. He said that one should avoid such coaches, clearly saying Greg Chappell has had a negative influence on the pacer. Surely, this means a lot more than an unintentionally derisive comment from one of the West Indian bowling legends, doesn't it?
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

    Twenty20 used to be boring.

    Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

  2. #2
    U19 Vice-Captain Anku31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Haryana,India
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    This may have been discussed (and got lost) on the tour thread, but maybe there's more to Andy Roberts' comments than this slightly derisive line?

    While Munaf's lack of pace and thus lack of striking power may be a hot topic of discussion, with some of the pro-Munaf comments missing out on the bigger picture, Roberts has said something more important- the role of the coach. Greg Chappell came to him to sort out problems with the pacers, and said that Chappell's excessive emphasis on line and length has rendered Munaf a medium-pacer unwilling to crank up his pace and lose line and length. He said that one should avoid such coaches, clearly saying Greg Chappell has had a negative influence on the pacer. Surely, this means a lot more than an unintentionally derisive comment from one of the West Indian bowling legends, doesn't it?
    Every thing Greg Chappel did with our bowlers was serious ****.He made a mess of Irfan.
    And yes,Munaf was really fast,around 140kmph.I wonder he did so well in his debut match against England but was still asked to rectify his pace,line,length,etc. by Greg.He could have been so better if he had continued on his own.
    cricdiary.wordpress.com

    My dream & the greatest XI ever.
    A.Gilchrist (wk),S.Tendulkar (c),J.Kallis,A.Flower,J.Rhodes,C.Cairns,L.Klusener ,H.Streak,S.Pollock,S.Mushtaq,S.Bond

  3. #3
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,630
    Greg Chappell was probably the worst thing to happen to Indian cricket during the 00s.........the reason why a potentially ATG side could not play to its potential
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  4. #4
    U19 Vice-Captain Anku31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Haryana,India
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Greg Chappell was probably the worst thing to happen to Indian cricket during the 00s.........the reason why a potentially ATG side could not play to its potential
    Absolutely.We can never forgive him for what he did to Irfan.Absolutely ruined his career.


  5. #5
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,623
    Looks like Chappell did to Munaf what Cooley did to Anderson, messed a guy up for a long time by trying to change them and what they did best. Not good coaching.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,695
    GC, what a **** coach..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  7. #7
    Bun
    Bun is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Under the tree
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    GC, what a **** coach..
    awta

  8. #8
    International Captain weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    GC, what a **** coach..
    Indian players whose careers were hampered (temporarily or permanently) due to Chappell: Irfan Pathan, Zaheer Khan, Virender Sehwag, Saurav Ganguly, Munaf Patel, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tenduulkar, Yuvraj Singh

    Indian players for the success of whom Chappell deserves some credit: Gautam Gambhir, Suresh Raina

    In other words, Chappell's coaching was bad for all bowlers and for all senior batsmen. The only thing he was any good at was grooming young batting talent (mainly through technical inputs).
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,695
    yeah I guess he can be asked to be the coach for under 19 team then. That might suit him and his style.

  10. #10
    Bun
    Bun is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Under the tree
    Posts
    3,116
    might try replacing them wigth U-10 players

  11. #11
    International Captain weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    yeah I guess he can be asked to be the coach for under 19 team then. That might suit him and his style.
    Nah, he deserves only the batting coach role in an under 19 team. Can see him spoiling careers of under 19 fast bowlers too if he coaches them.

  12. #12
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    might try replacing them wigth U-10 players
    Haha yeah exactly. He'd look to the future of the Under 19s team and start bringing in youth who he could build the team around for the next 10 years. After they were established and ready to actually be of use to him though he'd discard them for the next bunch of 10 year olds, rendering the whole thing pointless.
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha yeah exactly. He'd look to the future of the Under 19s team and start bringing in youth who he could build the team around for the next 10 years. After they were established and ready to actually be of use to him though he'd discard them for the next bunch of 10 year olds, rendering the whole thing pointless.

  14. #14
    Bun
    Bun is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Under the tree
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha yeah exactly. He'd look to the future of the Under 19s team and start bringing in youth who he could build the team around for the next 10 years. After they were established and wise enough to **** on him though he'd discard them for the next bunch of 10 year olds, rendering the whole thing pointless.
    \

    corrected

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha yeah exactly. He'd look to the future of the Under 19s team and start bringing in youth who he could build the team around for the next 10 years. After they were established and ready to actually be of use to him though he'd discard them for the next bunch of 10 year olds, rendering the whole thing pointless.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Spinning
    By conorules in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15-06-2014, 04:15 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24-03-2009, 11:57 AM
  3. The best spinning combination since 1950
    By Precambrian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •