• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC could use 'timeless' Test for World Championship final

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The last timeless Test was between South Africa and England in Durban in 1939. The match lasted nine days but was called a draw because the tourists had to catch their boat home.

I hope that won't be a problem today. BCCI, the rich board it is, won't mind cancelling the non-refundable air tickets if necessary :p

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In England, I can't think of any drawn Tests since I've been watching that have been solely down to a complete road of a pitch, bar perhaps Lord's 2008 v South Africa. Every other Test that's been drawn IIRC has had a significant amount of play lost to rain.

Having a timeless final probably wouldn't be an issue in England and would probably make sense to have a 6th or 7th day to allow for losing time to the weather.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In England, I can't think of any drawn Tests since I've been watching that have been solely down to a complete road of a pitch, bar perhaps Lord's 2008 v South Africa. Every other Test that's been drawn IIRC has had a significant amount of play lost to rain.

Having a timeless final probably wouldn't be an issue in England and would probably make sense to have a 6th or 7th day to allow for losing time to the weather.
This.

One alternative would be to not play it at Lords and use somewhere like Headingley where results usually happen. Not going to happen though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

There must have been a few others. Without checking, maybe India at the Oval in 2007, 1st test against Pakistan in 2006 (at Lord's?), SL at Lord's in 2006, SA at Edgbaston in 2003. India at the Oval in 2002, SL at Lord's in 2002. One or two grounds turning up in that list which are probably best avoided if the ICC really do want to play this tourny. :)

slugger

State Vice-Captain
the thing about a timeless test... is its something no one is familiar with.. well not in this day in age. and all games leading up to this final were played under the 5 day format. which makes me wonder if teams leading up to this final are going to change their approach all together why go for a win, just amass a first inn score and win all draws so tospeak. i mean itll be good practise for the timeless test final. id hate to say it but its the aspect of draw in a test match that creates the principal problem.. the game needs to be reshaped so a draw is not seen as an acceptable result. or just award points for a win and a lost but nothing for a draw.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
What if someone bats for 5 days non stop and scores 450 laborious runs and becomes the world record holder are we going to put an asterix next to the record and not count it.

juro

U19 12th Man
Will they also be having uncovered pitches? Use cricket gear from the 1920's? No helmets?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will they also be having uncovered pitches? Use cricket gear from the 1920's? No helmets?
Australia's bowling line-up in a horses-for-courses pick for the conditions;

Tait
Lee
Nannes
Merv

Last edited:

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Play 3 tests, one home, one away and the last one neutral. In the event of a draw use the rankings. Never gonna happen but would be the best thing ever and >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a month's worth of IPL.

Cap of 450 overs no matter what sounds alright but may cause captains to get through overs slowly so that they can use an older wicket to their advantage.
:thumbup: