• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the better Captain? Strauss or Dhoni?

Who is the better test Captain

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
With Vaughn coming out and giving his opinion regarding the two I thought it is high time that the esteemed members of the CW community come and state who they think is the better captain and why?

BlazeDragon

Banned
Strauss to me is strategically better in Tests. Dhoni has been more successful but I don't think it had much to do with his captaincy.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is nearly impossible to compare the two because the strengths of India and England are very different, and it is waaay to early to arrive at a conclusion.

Ganguly vs. Dhoni would be a more interesting one, I am personally of the opinion that people overrate Ganguly's captaincy a bit and take for granted what Dhoni has achieved so far.

salman85

International Debutant
Ganguly was underrated.Not overrated.He would have achieved much more had that douche Greg not played his part.

vcs

Possibly. But he had his fair share of poor results under Wright as well, as I have outlined here.

EDIT : To Salman

Bun

Banned
vcs bhai, that's obvious,

3 world titles in slightly more than 1000 days is what dreams are made of. and that he managed with nothing hugely exceptional than otherwise (read a zaheer khan and bangladeshi lineup otherwise) is what makes him one of the best captains ever imho.

yeah, ever.

ever.

e v e r.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dhoni is The Beatles.

Strauss is The Jonas Brothers.
That's nonsense. Neither has covered themselves in glory and both have had success.

As it happens, I have doubts over Strauss. England have shown a lot of tactical acumen lately, especially regarding bowling plans, and I don't think Strauss is as defensive in the field as people make out (declarations aside). However, I think the majority of this comes from Flower and Saker.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
not lost a test series. won world championships in two formats of the game. the indian team became number 1 in tests under him.

it's all about results and so dhoni walks this one overall. and by a bit in tests.

smash84

The Tiger King
Dhoni, although a bit defensive with his bowling and fielding IMO, is still one of the best captains that I have had the opportunity to witness.

However his captaincy's main test will come when the big 4 retire.

Strauss on the other hand is pretty decent as well but seems to lose the initiative at times. All in all Both pretty good captains

Last edited:

vcs

The acid test of Dhoni's Test captaincy will be how India fare in England and Australia, and after that, when the Big Four (Sachin, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag) retire.

Bun

Banned
The acid test of Dhoni's Test captaincy will be how India fare in England and Australia, and after that, when the Big Four (Sachin, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag) retire.
I believe batting is an area where a captain's influence, atleast directly, imho, is substantially lower as compared to bowling and fielding. particularly because batting is reactive by nature.

So Dhoni really has no control imho over that part.

However, we still avg in the high thirties when it comes to bowling. man for man I don't think we are vastly ahead as compared to late 90s or early 00s either. Yet we are win more, lose very few and draw as needed to keep our ranking in tests. And win the tourneys that matter in other formats.

Not just that, he's shown his skills with even an assembled group like chennai super kings, show his class and versatility as a captain.

He is not a chest thumper. he is not in your face. he doesn't play to the crowds, but ruthlessly does what he's good at, winning that matter..

vcs

Yeah. I usually hate to count the IPL as evidence of anything, but it's hard to ignore how well he has done with CSK there, and in the CL T20. He definitely seems to possess the magic touch.

smash84

The Tiger King
Dhoni definitely has the Midas touch and I would rate him as probably the best SC captain since Imran.

Dhoni does not have too much control over batting but it remains to be seen how he goes about using his bowlers and fielders when the batting is not as strong

smash84

The Tiger King
no words about Strauss yet who himself is a decent captain....

btw I do think that our analysis of Dhoni's test captaincy is being tainted by his ODI and T20 record