• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the better Captain? Strauss or Dhoni?

Who is the better test Captain

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Instinctively they're both defensive captains. Dhoni tends to take the catchers out sooner, but that's possibly a product of having the weaker bowling hand to play. When partnerships develop his instinct is to hang in there and dry the runs up.

This isn't necessarily a criticism of him, Glenn McGrath was primarily a defensive bowler after all.
Also of his home conditions.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I cannot rate anyone higher than Dhoni right now. Success at the highest levels in all three formats and his results with CSK speak for themselves.

Spark

Global Moderator
If you're talking about Tests alone, Strauss. The things he's done given the team he had at the start of his tenure is quite incredible.

Over all formats, Dhoni (and it's not particularly close)

Bun

Banned
Sorry, that was badly worded. What I meant is that they've both received fair criticism.
If you're talking about Tests alone, Strauss. The things he's done given the team he had at the start of his tenure is quite incredible.

Over all formats, Dhoni (and it's not particularly close)
Interesting. Don't think Strauss ever had to endure long periods without Anderson and or Swann during this period. And both of them occupy high positions in the icc bowling ranks.

Bun

Banned
Hmmm... So can't we say that abt Ishant, Zaheer etc as well?

As somebody pointed out, to tour Lanka with Ojha and Mithun and to come out unscathed is a big effort for me. Don't think Strauss ever had to face such an issue.

And Strauss lacks imho a signature effort, a classic case of outthinking the opposition like Dhoni's 8-1 field which has been acknowledged already as a modern captaincy masterstroke.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, not in the case of Ishant, as he's bowled mostly rubbish under his tenure then had one excellent tour.

And Strauss lacks imho a signature effort, a classic case of outthinking the opposition like Dhoni's 8-1 field which has been acknowledged already as a modern captaincy masterstroke.
Coming back to win the Ashes against a side which had just won in SA after being drubbed 51all out and losing to the Windies is much more impressive in my book than any single onfield tactic.

Bun

Banned
Nah, not in the case of Ishant, as he's bowled mostly rubbish under his tenure then had one excellent tour.

Coming back to win the Ashes against a side which had just won in SA after being drubbed 51all out and losing to the Windies is much more impressive in my book than any single onfield tactic.
should've prevented the drubbing in the first place imho.

can say then abt dhoni's efforts to square series in sri lanka and south africa also as captaincy masterstrokes, which I dont think they are.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Spark, hasn't Dhoni produced basically the same results as Strauss for a longer period (3 yrs as opposed to 2)? Admittedly, he hasn't an away series win against a really top opposition like Strauss does.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Interesting. Don't think Strauss ever had to endure long periods without Anderson and or Swann during this period. And both of them occupy high positions in the icc bowling ranks.
Neither of them were anywhere near the top of the rankings before Strauss. In fact, Swann wasn't even first choice Test spinner.

vcs

You're letting the WI series cloud your assessment. Dhoni averages far more as captain than before.
Yeah, I agree, it may not necessarily be taking a toll on his batting directly, but it's just a feeling I've got from watching his performances in the last 4-5 series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Spark, hasn't Dhoni produced basically the same results as Strauss for a longer period (3 yrs as opposed to 2)? Admittedly, he hasn't an away series win against a really top opposition like Strauss does.
With all due respect,didn't you just answer your own question?

vcs

With all due respect,didn't you just answer your own question?
Yeah, but he also had a loss in the W. Indies.

I just don't think we have seen enough to put one above the either, yet. Dhoni has yet to face tough challenges in England and Australia, Strauss hasn't toured India and Sri Lanka yet. They did equally well in SA. Both beat Australia at home. Both teams have improved leaps and bounds under their leadership. Don't see how one can be put over the other on the evidence so far, except subjectively.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, but he also had a loss in the W. Indies.

I just don't think we have seen enough to put one above the either, yet. Dhoni has yet to face tough challenges in England and Australia, Strauss hasn't toured India and Sri Lanka yet. They did equally well in SA. Both beat Australia at home. Both teams have improved leaps and bounds under their leadership. Don't see how one can be put over the other on the evidence so far, except subjectively.
I don't think it's remotely appropriate to use the Windies defeat against Strauss, given the situation he found himself in, as interim captain of a broken team. It bears zero relevance to assessing his captaincy.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post, though. I've not voted and I think often a good way to judge captains is when they face off.

What is interesting is that both captains tend to get a lot of stick from their own fans during matches but when all is said and done their decisions normally come off. It's easier to be an armchair critic and demand extra slips, quicker declarations, etc, but it would be fair to describe both as pragmatists.

EDIT - Turns out I did vote, for Strauss. Well, you know me, if all else fails vote for the Englishman

Last edited:

vcs

I don't think it's remotely appropriate to use the Windies defeat against Strauss, given the situation he found himself in, as interim captain of a broken team. It bears zero relevance to assessing his captaincy.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post, though. I've not voted and I think often a good way to judge captains is when they face off.

What is interesting is that both captains tend to get a lot of stick from their own fans during matches but when all is said and done their decisions normally come off. It's easier to be an armchair critic and demand extra slips, quicker declarations, etc, but it would be fair to describe both as pragmatists.

EDIT - Turns out I did vote, for Strauss. Well, you know me, if all else fails vote for the Englishman
Yeah, I agree. Whether or not you hold the W. Indies series against him is a pretty minor quibble.