• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I am not English, I just work here

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
says Pietersen.

"England batsman Kevin Pietersen has sparked a new controversy about his South African connection and British citizenship after announcing ‘I am not English, I just work here.’

Pietersen’s comments have rekindled the debate over the prevalence of South African-born cricketers in the England set-up, The Daily Mail reports.

Pietersen, born in Pietermaritzburg in South Africa, will be one of four players from South Africa — alongside captain Andrew Strauss, Jonathan Trott and wicketkeeper Matt Prior — included this morning in the England squad for the first Test against India at Lord’s which starts on Thursday.

Pietersen has always acknowledged that he first came to England to further an ambition to play Test cricket, which he could not realize in his native land because of their quota system following the collapse of apartheid.

But his feelings about which country he calls home have again been called into question following publication of a diary by Australian cricketer Ed Cowan.

In his book, Cowan writes of an incident involving Pietersen during England’s match against Australia A. According to Cowan, Pietersen ‘was heard to exclaim, as he cast his eye over the lunch buffet: “What the **** is this?” ’ Cowan told him that, being English, he should recognise bread-and-butter pudding when he saw it, to which he claims Pietersen replied: ‘I’m not ****ing English, Eddie. I just work here!’

Pietersen’s agent, Adam Wheatley has said that Cowan’s claim ‘does not really warrant a response’.

LINK

BlazeDragon

Banned
So he doesn't consider himself English then. Hmmm................

On second thought I just actually clicked on the link and it doesn't look too reliable.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
KP claims he was asked if he said it, said no, and then they went and printed it anyway.

The Mail is such a piece of **** though, listing Strauss as South African is ****ing dire, ad Prior too.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
I doubt the truth behind this.I have seen instances when Pietersen admitted how proud he is to play for England.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can't blame Pietersen for having those sentiments though. I mean, I might hold a British passport, as a completely hypothetical example, and go and work in the UK. But I'd never volunteer that I was English, and I would never, ever consider myself as a Pom.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt the truth behind this.I have seen instances when Pietersen admitted how proud he is to play for England.
And yet he still refers to South Africa as home…Out of all the chicken runners who play for England, KP seems to have the most complex relationship with the Republic.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What's wrong with a player claiming that where he was born and raised is his home and where he works is...where he works? I doubt his first 20 or whatever years worth of loyalty would just dissipate because another country pays him to play cricket.

Cricket is a job ffs.

Last edited:

centurymaker

International Captain
What's wrong with a player claiming that where he was born and raised is his home and where he works is...where he works? I doubt his first 20 or whatever years worth of loyalty would just dissipate because another country pays him to play cricket.

Cricket is a job ffs.
totally agree

Flem274*

123/5
Sounds like the Daily Mail is trying to stir up the racists again, but even if it is true, it shouldn't be acted on. He can still consider himself South African and take pride in the team he plays for.

It's a bit like school teams, especially if you're originally from another region. You weren't born in your school, or you might have changed schools recently, but that doesn't mean you don't take pride in the jersey/shirt you wear.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In other words

"KP cracks half decent joke rather than slag off Australian bread and butter pudding"

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How many English people here would recognise bread and butter pudding btw? Only place I've ever seen it was a pub I used to work in. Don't reckon it'd be instantly recognisable to those younger than me, but I might be wrong.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
How many English people here would recognise bread and butter pudding btw? Only place I've ever seen it was a pub I used to work in. Don't reckon it'd be instantly recognisable to those younger than me, but I might be wrong.
I would. Use to eat that and spotted dick at school everyday with lumpy custard. Loved it.