• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best allround fielder ever?

Who is the best all-round fielder ever?

• Total voters

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If benchy says it it must be true ...... and anyway the abiding memory will always be him dropping the Ashes at the Oval in '05

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Maybe i should make a video of all of Warne's catches....after I do the Mark Waugh one that is. And all of MacGill's wickets.

Blaze 18

Banned
The best all round fielder I've seen would have to be Andrew Symonds. Jonty Rhodes was easily the best in his position but he wasn't as good an "all round" fielder as Symonds. Also, for some reason, Jonty Rhodes wasn't ever that good when it came to run-outs. Symonds could knock the stumps down from pretty much anywhere.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
errrr....NO
He was. You've just been hearing too much of Bill Lawry's commentary when he's in there who says he's the best slipper of all time. He was solid, nothing more. Dropped a number of simple ones, including Damien Fleming's second hattrick delivery. Never did anything spectacular, mostly caught the ones he should have and occasionally dropped them.

Waugh and Taylor the two best I've seen. Strauss also getting a good reputation in there.

smash84

The Tiger King
He was. You've just been hearing too much of Bill Lawry's commentary when he's in there who says he's the best slipper of all time. He was solid, nothing more. Dropped a number of simple ones, including Damien Fleming's second hattrick delivery. Never did anything spectacular, mostly caught the ones he should have and occasionally dropped them.

Waugh and Taylor the two best I've seen. Strauss also getting a good reputation in there.
Taylor was a loads better slip catcher than Warne was mate. He really was.
When did I ever say that Warne was BETTER than Taylor or Waugh.

Mark Waugh is by some distance the greatest slip fielder I have seen during the last 25 years of cricket that I have been watching. Tubby Taylor was pretty good too although not at that level of course.

Shane Warne was pretty damn good despite the occasional drops he did hold onto some very good chances. He was a level below Taylor but that does not mean that he was bad or over rated.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Based on the last couple of decades:

1. AB de Villiers (cover)
2. Herschelle Gibbs (mid-wicket)
3. Ricky Ponting (slip / mid off)
4. Mark Waugh (slip / mid-on)
5. Jonty Rhodes (backward point)
6. Andrew Symonds (utility)
7. Jack Russell (keeper)
8. Brett Lee (somewhere deep)
9. Shane Warne (slip)
10. Jimmy Anderson (utility)

Can't think of another fast bowler OTTOMH
As has been suggested, Freddie can be your other quick and field at slip.

The only reason Hoggard and Harmison had better averages than Flintoff was because they had him at slip :ph34r:

benchmark00

When did I ever say that Warne was BETTER than Taylor or Waugh.

Mark Waugh is by some distance the greatest slip fielder I have seen during the last 25 years of cricket that I have been watching. Tubby Taylor was pretty good too although not at that level of course.

Shane Warne was pretty damn good despite the occasional drops he did hold onto some very good chances. He was a level below Taylor but that does not mean that he was bad or over rated.
Mate he was amazingly overrated. I can't remember him taking a catch in slips he took where I thought 'wow what a snare!'. He dropped simple catches but overall did take the simple ones more often than not. Solid but by no stretch of the imagination great. Would be like calling Marcus North a great slipper.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
without going back and watching all of warnes catches, i'd have to agree with Benchy, he took the simple ones ok, but Taylor took the ones which almost shouldnt have been taken, like the many times either warne or waugh dived in front of him yet Taylor still took it.

smash84

The Tiger King
Mate he was amazingly overrated. I can't remember him taking a catch in slips he took where I thought 'wow what a snare!'. He dropped simple catches but overall did take the simple ones more often than not. Solid but by no stretch of the imagination great. Would be like calling Marcus North a great slipper.
we may agree to disagree on Warne (I might be a bit biased about him though for he is one of my all time favorite cricketers)

flibbertyjibber

without going back and watching all of warnes catches, i'd have to agree with Benchy, he took the simple ones ok, but Taylor took the ones which almost shouldnt have been taken, like the many times either warne or waugh dived in front of him yet Taylor still took it.
Yeah, Warne was good in the slips but Taylor and Waugh were great.

Nearest thing i could use as an example is that Morgan is a good fielder for England but Collingwood was great, doesn't mean Morgan is a muppet as he is as good as we have but there was just someone better.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, Warne was good in the slips but Taylor and Waugh were great.

Nearest thing i could use as an example is that Morgan is a good fielder for England but Collingwood was great, doesn't mean Morgan is a muppet as he is as good as we have but there was just someone better.
awta