• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best allround fielder ever?

Who is the best all-round fielder ever?

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My greatest memory of Jonty was when he leapt into the air, stopped the ball going to the boundary and then caught the ball when it dropped down. That was an amazing catch.

Can't remember who RSA were playing though.
That was also from WC '92, wasn't it? It's hard for people of that generation to go for anyone other than Jonty because he made the impossible look easy. Nowadays the standards have gone up so much that it takes really something special to catch the eye. Which is maybe a bit harsh on the more recent players in this poll.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
jonty was like the bradman of his time, but because of much higher fielding standards we have seen some equally extraordinary fielders in the last 5-10 years.

Top_Cat

Best slipper: Siddons
Best cover/cover-point: Blewwy/Gibbs
Best all-round: Symonds/Poontang

Aussie have had some serious good fielders the past 20 years. NZ also of a high standard with blokes like Harris.

Last edited:

vcs

Current NZ team is pretty awesome in the field BTW. The likes of McCullum (both of them in ODIs), Guptill, Williamson etc. are brilliant. Probably the best fielding side right now.

benchmark00

who is this Siddons bloke? Is he better than even Mark Waugh?
Jamie Siddons. Never played test cricket. Played for South Australia. Was the only player in Shane Warne's top 50 who hadn't played test cricket, not that that's a big thing because Warne's a ****, but still.

vcs

Azhar was also very good in the field, both slips as well as point.

Top_Cat

Jamie Siddons. Never played test cricket. Played for South Australia. Was the only player in Shane Warne's top 50 who hadn't played test cricket, not that that's a big thing because Warne's a ****, but still.
Added to this, was a born and bred Victorian (played 5 seasons with them) and scored a Shield-winning ton for them before coming here. Was like a right-handed Ganguly; gorgeous through the off but rat-**** against anything in the bowler's half, especially after being decked by Merv.

In my opinion, he was up there with Waugh in the slips. Mark Waugh possibly more likely to pull off a speccy, though.

benchmark00

Siddons also had the advantage of 'catching' CW poster f00ler setting a rubbish bin on fire in downtown Adelaide.

Spark

Global Moderator
From what I've seen in my time watching cricket it's almost certainly Andrew Symonds, as much as it hurts me to say.

An awesome ground fielder, athletic, great catch, deadly accurate throw and rocket arm. There was not one aspect of fielding he wasn't elite at.
Slip?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
AB de Villiers is pretty nifty. Maybe more of an all-rounder than Jonty, if a marginally less awesome presence at backward point.

I wonder how chaps like Blandall would measure up against today's elevated standards.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Based on the last couple of decades:

1. AB de Villiers (cover)
2. Herschelle Gibbs (mid-wicket)
3. Ricky Ponting (slip / mid off)
4. Mark Waugh (slip / mid-on)
5. Jonty Rhodes (backward point)
6. Andrew Symonds (utility)
7. Jack Russell (keeper)
8. Brett Lee (somewhere deep)
9. Shane Warne (slip)