• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anil Kumble and Amit Mishra

Salamuddin

International Debutant
What are people's thoughts on him ?
I read that during the Motera test, he picked up his 350th test wicket.

Is he one of the finest spinners the game has seen ? Yet, his
figures show a large discrepancy between his performance at home and abroad.
I think abroad, he averages about 36 compared to 25 at home.

I'm a little puzzled as to why India haven't drafted young MIshra
into their squad as the replacement(probably should within a year if not immediately) for Kumble.
I saw Mishra in action for India A against RSA in England this year.
This kid really gives it a rip - not since Warne circa 93 have I seen a wrist spinner turn it that much. Certainly not from the likes of Stuey McGill, Mustaq, Kaneria, Kumble and Hogg.

I can see Amit Mishra being a huge weapon for India if they pick him -- even on overseas tracks.
Unlike Kumble he has the turn and the variation to be dangerous anywhere.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah I agree, Mishra is a good future prospect. The only thing which is keeping Kumble in the team is his reputation.

He lived upto it in the Ahmedabad test, but he is skating on thin ice. A bad tour of Australia and then a bad home series could see Kumble discarded, and see someone like Mishra drafted in.

Mishra is young, but needs a bit more time at the domestic level under his belt. Kumble is great in the dying overs and as a proven match winner.

Stick with Kumble for the time being....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Think you may have read that wrong :)
Yes, it seems that way, but really Kumble is everything the stereotypical fingerspinner is - struggles away from the subcontinent (he hardly played on the last WI tour if memory serves c), because he doesn't put the normal wrip that a wristspinner does.
Kumble is indisputably a wristspinner, but he's an unorthodox one.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Kumble is indisputably a wristspinner, but he's an unorthodox one.
....as in one who rarely spins the ball, which is what a spinner is basically supposed to do.....

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
i thought he did better touring because he doesnt rely on spin that much.. as most of his balls are fast and skid through the wicket.. so even minimal spin of the surface helps him and he can manage!

iamdavid

International Debutant
Mishra wasnt awfully impressive on the India A tour of England , Duhram didnt seem to have any undue trouble playing him , he is a great feildsman though & I think he would be more threatening in Australian conditions than Kumble , however as you guys point out reputation will likely keep Kumble in the team for a little while longer.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Yep no arguing there...

they wont let mishra off the leash yet..they will still feel kumble can be of use because of his vast experience...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
On Mishra - he has a good First-Class record, but he had a disappointing time when the "A" team called over here. Personally I'd recommend wait and see, give him another "A" tour before picking him ahead of a performer who has been proven class for a long time.
This New Zealand series has demonstrated something I have thought for a while - why on Earth is Harbhajan Singh rated higher than Kumble? He somehow managed to get decent figures in New Zealand, in the most un-spin-friendly conditions you could wish to see, and in West Indies and England he often managed to improve his figures by picking up wickets in the second-half of the innings, having been ineffectual against decent batsmen.
Like Saqlain, Harbhajan is a decent bowler on big-turning wickets anytime, and bowling at tail-enders on any pitch, but put him against competant top-order batting on a decent wicket and he'll not trouble.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Player Mat O R W BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 5 10
Kumble(home) 40 2130.1 5013 232 10/74 14/149 21.60 2.35 55.0 16 4
Kumble(away) 37 1909 4908 123 6/53 8/113 39.90 2.57 93.1 4 0
Harb(home) 17 852.1 2091 94 8/84 15/217 22.24 2.45 54.3 9 2
Harb(away) 17 672.4 1890 54 5/115 8/180 35.00 2.80 74.7 2 0

Not much of a difference between the two to say one is superior to the other....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Those figures suggest to me that Singh is the better option.

Interesting how those 2 have those averages outside India and aren't really criticised, yet Giles has a similar average to that and is...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lord_of_darkness said:
lol giles isint really that great..
Marc has a valid point. Who is to say that Giles wouldn't have the record of an Anil Kumle or Harbhajan Singh if his home field were in India? Singh and Kumble have poor records outside of India and (especially in Kumble's case) it is not far off Giles' average. Giles has also had his best bowling on the subcontinent. Therefore why is he so much more criticized than the Indian spin twins?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Marc has a valid point. Who is to say that Giles wouldn't have the record of an Anil Kumle or Harbhajan Singh if his home field were in India? Singh and Kumble have poor records outside of India and (especially in Kumble's case) it is not far off Giles' average. Giles has also had his best bowling on the subcontinent. Therefore why is he so much more criticized than the Indian spin twins?
Because he is English. Simple as.
Anyone with any sense would realise that Giles and Croft are good bowlers on turning wickets typical to the subcontinent. And instead criticise those who continue to advocate the selection of fingerspinners in England, amongst them the selectors.
It should be clear to anyone taking a decent look that Croft and Giles are England's best spinners. It should be equally clear that neither of them are Test class in England. So therefore don't pick them in England, and don't pick any other fingerspinners either. Stick to seam, and stick to green wickets.