• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram 'I'm fed up with the attitude of some players'

Himannv

International Coach
Wasim Akram said:
owe this much to cricket. If any youngster comes up to me and asks me for advice, I have to give it. I can't say, "Sorry, you're not Pakistani." For me every cricketer is from one fraternity.
Love this bit. :wub:

I see the rift between Waqar and Wasim still hasn't been repaired.

smash84

The Tiger King
yep......Wasim dishing it out to Waqar but Wasim does have a point here. He did back Waqar when Waqar was first appointed as coach

Himannv

International Coach
yep......Wasim dishing it out to Waqar but Wasim does have a point here. He did back Waqar when Waqar was first appointed as coach
Oh, not contesting that he has a point. Being a bit of a Wasim fan I dont mind him dishing it out to anyone. :laugh:

Fusion

Global Moderator
I actually disagree with Wasim’s point about coaches. I think the level of authority a captain or a coach has over team selection or even team direction should be dependent on who that individual is. If the Captain is Imran Khan, then I would want the Coach to defer to him. If, OTOH, the Captain is Shoaib Malik, then I’d rather Bob Woolmer call the shots. In a perfect world, they would both work together and peacefully for the betterment of the team. That perfect world will never exist in Pakistan Cricket though.

smash84

The Tiger King
I actually disagree with Wasim’s point about coaches. I think the level of authority a captain or a coach has over team selection or even team direction should be dependent on who that individual is. If the Captain is Imran Khan, then I would want the Coach to defer to him. If, OTOH, the Captain is Shoaib Malik, then I’d rather Bob Woolmer call the shots. In a perfect world, they would both work together and peacefully for the betterment of the team. That perfect world will never exist in Pakistan Cricket though.
Wasim has a point that the captain has to lead the team in the field and he should have the final say...........

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, I bet Sania Mirza is the one calling the shots in the Malik household. :p

Fusion

Global Moderator
Wasim has a point that the captain has to lead the team in the field and he should have the final say...........
Everyone's accountable though, not just the Captain. If the team loses, the Coach will be sacked just as easily as the Captain. It's not like the Captain is operating out there in a vacuum. The Captain works out the team strategy before the match, in consultation with the Coaches. So I don’t see why the Coach can’t have significant input on the team selection. Like I said in my post, I think a person’s “clout/success” determines how much authority they have and rightfully so IMO.

Edit: To talk specifically about the current situation, since Afridi was Captain of the team, I prefer that Waqar was highly involved in team selection. I liked Afridi's captaincy and thought he was the best choice to lead the team from the options we had. However, he's highly volatile as we all know and prone to making…questionable…decisions. If he’s Captain, I want a strong coach watching over him.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Nah Fusion, Wasim's right. Its the captain that walks up to the presentation at the end of a defeat to face the inquest.

Anyway, the root cause of this power struggle is your ridiculous policy of appointing captains on a series-by-series basis. You think that'd make your captain insecure? No wonder you guys keep having these periodic mini-coups with players divided into various camps. When these rivalries erupt to the surface is the best case scenario. Its worse when these tensions keep simmering below the surface and rivals aspirants to the captaincy keep undermining each other by way of manipulating on-field performances and dressing room politics. In addition to affecting performances, this uncertainty hinders development of any viable long term strategy. It's inevitable that the coach considers himself top dog in such a set-up, given that he enjoys the sort of permanency that the captain doesn't. It's not the personalities of the coach and captain that's deciding who's in charge; it's your ridiculous ad hoc captaincy policy that's making that decision.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Nah Fusion, Wasim's right. Its the captain that walks up to the presentation at the end of a defeat to face the inquest.

Anyway, the root cause of this power struggle is your ridiculous policy of appointing captains on a series-by-series basis. You think that'd make your captain insecure? No wonder you guys keep having these periodic mini-coups with players divided into various camps. When these rivalries erupt to the surface is the best case scenario. Its worse when these tensions keep simmering below the surface and rivals aspirants to the captaincy keep undermining each other by way of manipulating on-field performances and dressing room politics. In addition to affecting performances, this uncertainty hinders development of any viable long term strategy. It's inevitable that the coach considers himself top dog in such a set-up, given that he enjoys the sort of permanency that the captain doesn't. It's not the personalities of the coach and captain that's deciding who's in charge; it's your ridiculous ad hoc captaincy policy that's making that decision.
I agree with everything that you and Wasim are saying about the lack of support the Captain receives from the PCB, specially as it relates to the ad hoc captaincy policy. That doesn't mean the Coach benefits from it or gets security because of it. We've had plenty of coaching changes in the last decade. They are as vulnerable as the Captain. I guess I just prefer a strong coach if the Captain is a inexperienced or his judgment questionable.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Coaches must be like John Wright & Gary Kirsten,who remain behind the scenes & do their work efficiently.They must have had their views in every decision the captains made or the BCCI made but the fact that they never made it public is the reason behind their success.A team should be like a household.Whatever they do,no other person should know it.If a family fights one day,the neighbors should not know about it.Otherwise,they will try to take advantage of it & make it over-hyped.That's the case with the media,give them a little evidence & they will add their own spices to it & the final result would be both captain & coach being sacked by the board.
The situation with Pakistani players & coaches is that everyone has his own attitude & if something goes opposite to their way,they will come out & shout loud.It's a situation like the Indian reality TV shows.Everyone wants to gain popularity,by hook or by crook.By swearing on live TV,by talking s***,by removing clothes,or by whatever.